Question

Sonos Amp and Outdoor Speaker, Wifi Range Issue

I've got Sonos Amp powering amazing Sonance outdoor speakers for my backyard. The speakers are hardwired so no issues there. Unfortunately, when I'm sitting outside I'm at the edge/beyond my wifi range and I can't control the Sonos App through my iPhone to select music and control the volume.
I'd like to be able to control my Sonos without being on the same wifi, using my cell data. Should I be looking at getting a wifi extender?
Any ideas?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes your going to want to get a wifi extender to get the wifi out into the backyard.
i can’t help but think that Sonos could set up some sort of cloud so I can control the outdoor speakers the same as my indoor speakers, regardless of what wifi/internet connection I’m using.
i guess nobody’s figured out a workaround on this.
So if a wifi extender is my only solution, any recommendations on what to get?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes it’s been discussed before but no real ability for that.
Did you try using a CR200 outside to see if it can reach the closest zone player via Sonosnet? Sonosnet might provide better coverage in the area you are struggling with.
what's a cr200?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Exactly. Go the extended method.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
i can’t help but think that Sonos could set up some sort of cloud so I can control the outdoor speakers the same as my indoor speakers, regardless of what wifi/internet connection I’m using.
i guess nobody’s figured out a workaround on this.
So if a wifi extender is my only solution, any recommendations on what to get?

Sonos does have a cloud server setup. This was done when they implemented integration with Alexa (and then Google), as this is how voice control works. You can also use that API with certain music service apps, like Amazon music and alexa cast. You can write IFTTT routines that use the cloud API as well.

Sonos has not modified their own software to use the cloud API though. Probably because it's a lot of extra development, it puts an extra load on their servers, and isn't a highly requested feature since most users control their system while in wifi range. Other smart devices make more sense for cloud control as there are more reasons to control the device while not in wifi range.

Maybe this will change one day, but for now, not an option directly from Sonos.

As for recommendations on extenders, I'm more of a fan of mesh network setups over a main router + extenders and access points. They generally provide wider coverage and are easier to manage, though you'll pay more. I have Orbi and no complaints.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you put your Sonos in Boost mode by wiring one or more devices and not using your WiFi for communicating between Sonos devices you open up a lot of possibilities for your WiFi that might be frustrating in Standard (WiFi) mode.
I haven't any knowledge of such but are there any access points/extenders for outdoor use, with ethernet wire running back to the router? If yes, how is the power supplied to these in a safe way?
For such, it also ought to be possible to not place these close to the listening area in the backyard. Even if the extender is further away/near to the house, as long as there is a clear line of sight to it in the backyard, it ought to work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Lots of outdoor APs available, many use POE, Power Over Ethernet and can be put most anywhere you can get an Ethernet cable to them. I use Ubiquity indoor APs here with very good results but they may be overkill for the OPs situation where something simple would likely suffice.