Answered

Sonos Amp and Chromcast or Airplay

• 3 September 2021
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I have multiple zones of speakers with my Sonos Amps, and would like to use my outdoor rooftop speakers (powered by Sonos Amp) for audio output when I’m watching a moving on my outdoor projector. I currently use Chromecast to play content on my projector but there isn’t a way to play video on the projector and get audio to push to Sonos. Is what I’m trying to achieve possible? Would it be better to get a Apple TV to connect to the projector?

Current state I have to connect a portable speaker via 3.5mm to the projector but would be a much better experience with my outdoor speakers. 

Alternatively I think I could purchase a Sonos 5 and connect that to the projector via 3.5 to act as a “center” speaker and bridge to the Sonos Amp. But honestly that’s overkill and wouldn’t use the Five for anything but one off movies on the rooftop. 

Appreciate the help. 

icon

Best answer by James L. 6 September 2021, 10:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Badge +17

Hi @DJSD,

Sonos Amp can receive audio via its HDMI port - using either HDMI ARC or connecting the Sonos Optical Adapter to an HDMI cable. It’s highly unlikely that your projector will have an HDMI ARC port, but if it has a digital optical out port then it should be possible to connect the Amp to it that way. The connection would go like this:

Projector - Optical adapter - HDMI cable - Sonos Amp

Alternatively, you may be able to use the RCA Line In jacks on the Amp to connect to any RCA line out jacks on the projector. Just bear in mind that this imposes a minimum of a 75ms delay, and may not be suitable for all situations.

Hope that helps!