Answered

Sonos Amp

• 20 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone. I am trying to find the answer to my question but to no avail and then I thought I’d ask the experts. I am thinking about connecting my turntable to the new amp and using existing Sonos speakers to play the music. I just want to be sure that I don’t need to connect wired speakers to it to be able to do this. I understand that the amp is there to enable wired speakers and I am sure that is something I could look into in the future. Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by John B 20 June 2019, 15:56

You have a Play 5. Why not use the line in on that for the turntable? The Amp would be a huge waste of money if you don't get passive speakers.
View original

6 replies

If you are sure you will get speakers wired to the Sonos Amp, for now you can go ahead without them and play the music from the turntable+phone preamp wired to the Sonos Amp, through existing Sonos speakers.
Thanks for that. Have a great day.
You have a Play 5. Why not use the line in on that for the turntable? The Amp would be a huge waste of money if you don't get passive speakers.
The turntable is actually plugged into the play 5 at the moment but for reasons the turntable is moving and the play 5 can’t move with it. I guess my other option would be the connect with no speakers attached? The turntable is preamped so I guess that would work too? Thanks again everyone in trying to sort me out.
Yes that woould work and be cheaper. You might even look on eBay for a second hand Connect. If there is a serious prospect of you getting a pair of wired speakers to go with the Amp then that's fine, but if not then it is an even more expensive line in than the Connect. Or get another Play 5!
Thanks for your help John. Have a great day.