Answered

Sonos alarms w/ radio fails frequently

• 13 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello 

I have a problem with some alarms to play radio at wakeup time that trigger the sonos chimes systematically. I have tried twice to troubleshoot through the sonos support chat but I’m very frustrated as they propose basic troubleshooting (have you rebooted the router, can you reboot the speakers, did you delete and recreate the alarm, did you reinstall the app, etc) and we turn in circles and waste time. I have requested to escalate my request but I don’t manage to get attention from the right talent. It is frustrating. 

Here is my scenario. Got speakers in almost every room of the house. Recently I upgraded all system to gen2 and replaced two PLAY5 from gen1 to gen2. I got a PLAY 5 in my bedroom, wired, and it has an alarm to play a radio news channel at 7:00 - well I always get the sonos chime. 7 minutes later I have another alarm to play radio music - it works always.

Even more when the sonos chime is plaing I just need to push the stop/play button twice to switch from chime to the radio channel.

In my shower I have a PLAY 3 (wifi) an alarm to start playing radio music at 7:00. It works Always.

I got another play 5 in the kitchen with an alarm to play music radio…. this one gives random sonos chime.

In my view something is not working with the new PLAY 5?

I’m hopping to get some support to diagnose.

I just ran a diagnostic here is the number 1991248468.

Many thanks, Josep.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 19 April 2021, 11:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Thank you for your response again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

HI @pepserrano 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Unfortunately, due to geo-locking, I couldn’t test that station as it’s French.

Could you please perform a test for us? Please change the 7am Bedroom alarm to a different station - one that you know plays. Does the 7am alarm then work without issue? 

Please also go to the search page in the Sonos app and select to search Stations. If you search for RTS Couleur 3, Soma FM Space Station and Groove Salad, do you get results from Sonos Radio specifically?

I don’t see a room labelled Kitchen on your system, but Dining Room is showing similar errors.

Finally, and probably unrelated, Studio is reporting a faulty ethernet connection - if you haven’t been manually adjusting this cable, you may need to replace it.

Hello again Corry

Changed all stations I use for my alarms to tunein as you suggested and it works well after a few days.

One could ask what is different in tunein from sonos radio? Would you then suggest sonos radio is not to be used in alarms?

Regards, Josep

Thank you for your advice Corry. I was loosing my hope on this one… ;-)

Could you please perform a test for us? Please change the 7am Bedroom alarm to a different station - one that you know plays. Does the 7am alarm then work without issue? 

I have done as you suggested and the alarm played without chimes. After that I went back to my original radio channel (Couleur 3) and it also played well, but the next day it played chimes again. Something random is going on…

Please also go to the search page in the Sonos app and select to search Stations. If you search for RTS Couleur 3, Soma FM Space Station and Groove Salad, do you get results from Sonos Radio specifically?

Yes all this radio channels are found in the sonos radio search and I can play them.

I don’t see a room labelled Kitchen on your system, but Dining Room is showing similar errors.

Finally, and probably unrelated, Studio is reporting a faulty ethernet connection - if you haven’t been manually adjusting this cable, you may need to replace it.

Yes this is the one I mean by “kitchen”. We have kitchen and dinning room in the same space.

In this room we do not play “Couleur 3” but Groove Salad. And here we get the chimes randomly…

Got your feedback on the studio unit. I have replaced the cable now. It is connected straight to the wireless access point by a short wire.

I’m sending a new diagnosis report 299845749 if it can help.  

Many thanks, Josep.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pepserrano 

Thanks for trying those steps.

Could you please install myTuner? You can do this from Settings » Services & Voice » Add a Service » type “myTuner” and select it » Add to Sonos. You won’t need an account.

Please then replace your 7am alarm with Couleur 3 from myTuner instead of from Sonos Radio - does that play without issue? Please try Groove Salad from myTuner too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pepserrano 

I’m glad to hear that has helped!

In terms of the third-party broadcasted stations, Sonos Radio is the same as TuneIn - we get our links from them.

myTuner, however, is a completely different service - I assume this is why things are working differently there. Often, broadcasters maintain different servers for different services (the BBC does this, for example), so perhaps when using myTuner you are accessing a different physical server than when you are connecting via TuneIn or Sonos Radio (which will definitely use the same servers as each other), even when listening to the same station.