Answered

Sonos account closed message

• 15 February 2022
  • 7 replies

I added SirusXM service to my Sonos controller.  I can make it play through the speaker if I select it within the Sonos controller, but if i ask Alexa to play it, I get a message that the account has been closed and to talk to Sirus and/or Sonos.  I have re-loaded the service multiple times, downloaded the Sirus software App to my PC, changed PW and user names on the Sirus site and then in Sonos, all with no luck.  I get the same message.   I don’t understand how I can play it through the Sonos speaker when selected within the controller, but can’t access through Alexa/speaker.  Suggestions to get this to work?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 15 February 2022, 23:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure both the Sonos and SiriusXM skills are enabled in the Alexa app. Also just be sure the speaker you mention is actually a Sonos One and not a Sonos One SL …right? The latter does not support voice assistants.

Edit: Yes, I do see that your profile says Sonos One. Sometimes people check the wrong box. But then again if the speaker is responding then it must be One unless there is an Alexa Echo near by. 😊

AjTrek1, thanks for the reply.  Perhaps you have hit on my problem. I don’t know what you mean by Alexa app or Skills.  I set my Sonos up a couple of years ago.  I opened the box, loaded the Sonos software, added my music services, and started playing.  Alexa was already available on Sonos.  I assumed it was preloaded.  I have updated the Sonos software running on my Windows PC, but I don’t see any option for Voice control or Alexa Software in the Sonos controller software.  I have seen some on-line references to loading Alexa voice via the Services in the Settings control, but I don’t see Amazon Alexa on the pick list.  Only Amazon music, which i had loaded as a Svc.  As you say, my Sonos is a Sonos One.  It has always been voice controlled and Alexa enabled (hence the Alexa message telling me my Sirus account is closed.  Suggestions?  Do I have the wrong Sonos software?

Userlevel 7

Can’t respond at the moment but will later today 😊

Userlevel 7

Hi

sorry for the delay. If you are getting message that your Sirus account is closed you may want to discusss that with SiriusXM customer service. 

In the Alexa app there are Skills associated with Sonos and SiriusXM. See the screen shots below. Look under Skills and Games us one if you have enabled the Skills in Alexa. 

AjTrek1 or anyone else.  I have a Sonos 1.  Sonos 1 when i bought it comes with Alexa installed.  There is NO Alexa App in the software.  In fact in the S1 controller, there is no Alexa Voice option even to Add.  I assume this is because the Alexa interface is already installed on the device.  From what I have read on-line it appears I could down-load the Alexa app, but then I would have Amazon/Alexa app running the Sonos controller, rather than just having the Sonos directly.  As my current system has been working for years, I am not sure why adding SirusXM should now require me to change my entire system set-up.  Any other solutions than bringing in another software (Amazon Alexa) to reconfigure and operate my existing Sonos (with Alexa working) system?

AjTrek1 or anyone else.  I have a Sonos 1.  Sonos 1 when i bought it comes with Alexa installed.  There is NO Alexa App in the software.  In fact in the S1 controller, there is no Alexa Voice option even to Add.  I assume this is because the Alexa interface is already installed on the device.  From what I have read on-line it appears I could down-load the Alexa app, but then I would have Amazon/Alexa app running the Sonos controller, rather than just having the Sonos directly.  As my current system has been working for years, I am not sure why adding SirusXM should now require me to change my entire system set-up.  Any other solutions than bringing in another software (Amazon Alexa) to reconfigure and operate my existing Sonos (with Alexa working) system?

You are probably not quite remembering your earlier speaker setup correctly, as Sonos products do not come with any voice assistant pre-installed. As an example, users can add the Google Assistant instead of the Amazon Alexa Assistant - these are normally added via “Settings/Services & Voice” in the Sonos App.

In the case of the Amazon Alexa VA installation, you will also require the Amazon Alexa App installed on the mobile controller device to help manage the Alexa settings, such as setting the default music service and installation of the various Skills, as mentioned by @AjTrek1 in his posts above. 

Also, there is no Sonos 1. There is the Sonos PLAY:1, which have no microphone, but can be controlled by a voice assistant elsewhere on the network, and the Sonos One, which includes a microphone, but as previously stated, requires the assistant to be ‘added’ via the controller. There is also a Sonos One SL, with no microphone installed, but can also be controlled by another voice input device.