Sonos 5 Gen 2 grabs the WAN ip from the gateway...

• 7 July 2021
  • 4 replies

I recently moved to a new ISP (Bahnhof Villafiber) in Sweden, with a 1000/1000 Mbit bandwith. Everything worked fine until I plugged in my Sonos Play 5 Gen 2. The speaker seems to grab the WAN IP address, and shows up in the ISPs log files with its Mac address. The LAN internet connection still works, but the downstream bandwidth is reduced from 900 to 250 Mbit, which of course isn’t acceptable.  The gateway/router provided by the ISP is bridged (only acting gateway), and then the traffic goes through my OWN ASUS RT-N66U router.

I have tried a few things - without any success:

1. Make sure to plug in the Sonos speaker very late to the network, as the last device.
  2. Assigned a static IP address.

So I’m searching for new ideas to solve the problem :)
Anyone who has experienced this problem, and might have solution?

Best Regards,
Mikael

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Mikael i Kungsbacka, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community!

Mind confirming exactly how the Play:5 is connected to the network? Is it wired to the Bahnhof router, or the Asus? If connected to the Bahnhof, then that would make sense, as it’s only operating as a Modem - in this case you’d want to either wire the Play:5 to the Asus router, or get it set up on the WiFi.

It may also be worth trying the Play:5 wired to a different LAN port to see if there’s any improvement. Let us know how you get on :)

If the P:5 is not incorrectly wired to the ISP modem then it’s all a bit of a mystery. Time for a new router anyway, since that size of incoming internet pipe surely deserves something better than an old dual-band N router. :wink:

Hi!

Thanx for your suggestions! :)

@Xander P : The Play:5 is normally connected over Wi-Fi to the ASUS (not the bridged ISP router) router. I tested today to wire it to the Bahnhof router, but the problem was still there.

@ratty : Since I got a new router for free from the ISP this week (wasn’t sure I really needed it), I think it’s a very good idea to test that one instead for the very old ASUS… ;)

I’ll be back with the outcome of testing the new router! :)

Hi again!

The problem was solved after installing the new router (Huawei HN8255Ws) I got from my ISP. Since the old was from 2012, it was about time... Would have been interesting to know what the problem really was, but didn't have more time to spend.

Thanx for your suggestions! 👍