Answered

sonos 2 -- App losing my speakers

• 12 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Have been on Sonos 2 App for about 1 1/2 months.  In the last week, speakers and amps disappear from the app...not always the same ones.  I have two amps and 6 speakers. Self help FAQ says try unplugging and plugging them in ( IT Crowd... anyone?) That works but problem persists. Surely this must be software related, has there been an update to the app? no changes to my WIFI, no new electronics in the house.The 2 amps are in the same room with the router! Come on Sonos...your stock price is soaring, surely you can fix this? Ready to go another way and package this stuff up and send it to your CEO maybe they can figure out how to make this work.... Get with it, I cannot be the only one this happening with!!:(

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 April 2021, 01:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +1

And just now!!????.... two speakers missing came back online.... And I also unplugged an amp and it too is now online....but for how long...for how long?:(

Sounds a lot like every other post about this kind of issue, a network problem bouncing the connection of the speakers to your router. In 99.9% of all reported cases, it has been a local issue, and most frequently related to the local network. Sonos does excercise the network at a much higher level than any other computer/mobile device, due to the way they communicate not only with the outside world, but with your controller, and with each other. 

There are typically one of two, or a combination of the two issues. First, and most likely, is fairly simple wifi interference , often, although not always, from outside your own network. There are quite a few solutions suggested in the linked FAQ, I’d recommend starting there.

Second, and much less common, is a duplicate IP address issue, caused bumpy an unhappy router handing out improper IP addresses when the Sonos reboot, such as when running a software update. Easily recitified by unplugginfpg all Sonos devices from power, and rebooting the router. Only when the router comes back up should the Sonos devices be plugged back in. This process can resolve other potential issues, as it not only forces a reload of the software on the router, but also the software on the Sonos devices. It’s low cost, so it’s an easy test, and would not cause any additional issues, more so than rebooting your computer does.

There are much less common issues than these two, but they display the exact same symptoms. It’s hard to identify them without suggesting that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

Badge +1

Wow thanks Bruce, great content...will try it out and update.

Note that last part...while 99.9% are local issues, that’s not 100%. If you’re in that exceedingly small minority, that diagnostic and phone call will go a long way to figuring out what’s going on.

However, if I were a betting man, I’d say you’re likely in the 99%...

Badge +1

OK here we are 18 days later… I wanted to let the system run  for this time to be more certain that it is working properly.

After the advice above, I conducted the complete shut down of all speakers, amps and the WIFI router. Then rebooted everything.

It did not work. Speakers,amps still disappeared, the system might play briefly on those left then stop, or,  Sonos would  generate a pop up message that it could not find the Sonos system.

Next talked to Sonos help line. I have an Asus Zen mesh WIFI router. We went through the Asus settings verifying and setting them up to help Sonos run.It did not work.

The Sonos agent could not have been more helpful and we tried together to fix the local network settings submitting diagnostics as we went...on the phone maybe an hour.

There were a few settings for the Asus that I could not find on the Asus phone app that Sonos wanted me to check. After making note of them, and after the call was over. I tried finding them by logging onto the router on a desktop computer. The settings in question were configured as Sonos preferred.

FInally, I  decided to Reset the Asus router completely. Found the Reset button on the router. Reset it, the set up the WIFI like it was brand new. Used same network SSID and password as before. 

it worked.

Sonos system has now been running trouble free for 18 days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

PSA: Routers to avoid if you want a reliable Sonos system: BT and Asus.