Songs skipping when iPhone locked

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies
So I’ve been having issues with song playback for sometime now and it only happens when my iPhone is locked. When unlocked the tracks playback just fine... but the moment it locks the songs continuously skip. Serious pain in the ass! Music is streaming from my phone. Thoughts anyone?? WiFi is fine and full coverage around the house, 3 rooms with different speakers + sound bar and sub. Runs through a Sonos bridge which is directly connected to my router. Only happens when phone is locked, no other time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Fixed it. We have an Apple TV and I set it for AirPlay = OFF. I then reset my iPhone 7. I have the latest Sonos app version installed. I now have control from the lock screen on my iPhone. The Apple TV is our only AirPlay device. We now also have control from my wife's AppleWatch.

I followed the info from this link: https://www.johnlarge.co.uk/sonos-lock-screen-controls-broken-on-ios-after-version-9-0-update/
Just purchased and installed the Connect product. Cannot believe this issue exists, and I cannot fathom how or why a Sonos representative could suggest users to circumvent the most basic security feature on their iphone by leaving it unlocked. I have been a software engineer for over 20 years and would be fired on the spot if I recommended that to a customer.

Shame on Sonos for not fixing this and shame on them for idiotic suggestions to users.

As it stands, the device is unusable and my only two options are the hassles of a return or hoping that Sonos takes this problme more seriously. Considering the efforts they have made thus far, I seriously doubt they see this as their problem.
I don't have any solution to the problem, but I must say that I'm a little surprised that playing music stored on an iPhone is seen as a must have feature, since there are several other ways to play audio on Sonos. Maybe it's just my opinion, but playing directly from a music services, instead of downloading the music then playing it, would avoid this issues. As well, you can play audio directly from a computer or NAS on your network. I'd only play audio off my phone as a last resort personally. Like you say you don’t have a solution, so I’m surprised you wasted your time expressing your completely pointless opinion, of course people want to play music from their library! Why pay for a streaming service when you’ve got everything you want already!? *insert rolling eyes emoji*
Badge
I’ve been having the same problem for about a year now, with an I-Phone 6, an I-Phone 8 and my I-Pad. The only solution from Sonos (as above) has been to keep the device unlocked (a real battery drainer) or stream from my PC (which I don’t have switched on at all times) so not ideal.
It never used to be a problem when streaming files from a locked device - are we any closer to a fix for this?
(I have lots of music that’s not available on streaming sites, so that is not a suitable alternative suggestion.) I was so happy with my Sonos set up but this has seriously spoiled it for me.
Hi everyone,

We've just released version 9.1 which has a few bug fixes, including one which should help with iOS device streaming issues. Please update your systems and test out iOS streaming. If any audio dropouts continue, please see our guide to troubleshooting audio drops and reach out if that doesn't help.

The update to version 9.1 has not solved this issue for me. Music on my iPhone will stop/skip when the iPhone is locked. Connecting to a music library (computer on the network) is not a good solution, because I don’t want to have that computer on all the time. Please help!
I never had the problem before 9.1, now it is horrible! PLEASE HELP!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If the update did not help, please see this guide to troubleshooting audio interruptions. If you're still having issues after going through the guide, please reach out to our phone team who can take over from there. You can find our phone number and hours here.
None of the issues in the troubleshooter apply to my system. I consider myself a relatively expert Sonos user, and my Sonos systems -- and indeed my home networking infrastructure -- are carefully configured and working perfectly.

I should confess that I don't need to use this feature myself. I tested out of curiosity, and I was just confirming on this thread that I think Sonos has a genuine issue to deal with here, not one that is simply an isolated consequence of other problems with people's Sonos systems.
I’m having exactly the same issue, it only started when Sonos recently removed the control from the lock screen - Sonos can you fix your App please??
I just started having the same issue after I updated the software today. WTF!!????!!!?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
With Apple Music Family she could upload her music to iCloud and make use of the iCloud Music Library. Works fine on Sonos.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204926

Thank you for the suggestion/workaround. My wife doesn't want to pay for Apple Music. We're just going to wait for Sonos to fix this issue. 🙂
Userlevel 1
This may be of interest to members who are wanting to play music stored on Apple products.Someone on an Apple site suggested to go into settings > iTunes > Sign in with your Apple password > Press “done”. I did this over 2 hours ago & up to now, no jumping or cutting out.
I have the same issue, and almost with every song! I have Android, and I have updated to 9.1, but have not noticed any improvement at all. All I read is about iOS - any other Android user with same issue?
diagnostics number: 1938226269
thanks!

...It's likely that playing it from the phone is too much bandwidth for the sonos system to deal with...

I don't know what is your technical background but, please, don't write this kind of affirmation without doing proper research on Google. Streaming music requirer approx. 40k per second of data transfert! You can stream music with a tiny Raspberry Pi 😮 So no, streaming music doesn't required huge bandwidth and enormous cpu!

This is bad programming and bad Q/A job from Sonos period. Releasing product with such defect for a STREAMING PRODUCT is kind of disturbing.

Hopefully will get a fix soon so this episode will be just a bad dream.
[...] Hopefully will get a fix soon so this episode will be just a bad dream.
It's an energy savings thing on the iPhone. Set either your iPhone (any iOS device in fact) to never auto lock or (much better) set up a Sonos music library.

Actually, it's not. It's a programming bug because dismantling the auto lock doesn't work for many people who responded to this thread. And even if that was the real problem, it's a flat out terrible idea to disable the security system of the phone simply to use this one app. Streaming locally with the Music app does not require the lock screen disabling, so it's simply a stupid suggestion from the Sonos team.
I should confess that I don't need to use this feature myself. I tested out of curiosity, and I was just confirming on this thread that I think Sonos has a genuine issue to deal with here, not one that is simply an isolated consequence of other problems with people's Sonos systems.
The skipping problem also occurs with Androids.
@larsif I have followed your directions and read your content that you linked on your https://www.johnlarge.co.uk/sonos-lock-screen-controls-broken-on-ios-after-version-9-0-update/ Site/page. THANK YOU...... So Far, the Songs problem of skipping and cutting off songs has disappeared at my house. I turned off my AirPlay (AppleTV's in my case) abilities (which I rarely used anyway) and there are now full songs playing once again.. I thank you for your assistance, as my &$1,800.00 dollars of Sonos equipment was all but totally worthless in the condition they were in before reading your content. Additionally, I not have control back from my Apple Watch and my LOCKED iPhone, as it was designed to be.. Thanks Again..

Sonos, please publish either @larsif's information (hopefully, you give him the credit for fixing this issue) or publish this as at least a bandaid that does not suggest that we should turn the security lock off on our iOS devices (stupid idea for all that suggested it.) I am 14 songs into a playlist with no cutouts at all. Prior to making these changes, I was cutting off almost every song.
Hi. If you are referring to a 'network speed is insufficient' message, this is to do with communications between your devices. As Bruce said, it has nothing to do with your internet speed. Also, this can be a mislesding message. It is really just saying, 'there are problems moving the data around'. The problem bit is almost certainly getting the data from the mobile device to the router. Playing from a mobile device is the least robust source and the one least under Sonos' control. Is the music stored anywhere else, such as a computer? Do you use streaming services?
Badge
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just ran a diagnostic 1190548109 and I’ve now reserved an IP address for each Sonos. If I don’t get my Sonos system sorted at least I’ll be able to get a job in IT ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I’ve been having issues with song playback for sometime now and it only happens when my iPhone is locked. When unlocked the tracks playback just fine... but the moment it locks the songs continuously skip. Serious pain in the ass! Music is streaming from my phone. Thoughts anyone?? WiFi is fine and full coverage around the house, 3 rooms with different speakers + sound bar and sub. Runs through a Sonos bridge which is directly connected to my router. Only happens when phone is locked, no other time.

Hi GavP,

What is the source of the audio files you are playing? If you are playing from your phone's storage, it will work best with your phone unlocked. Otherwise you can sync your phone's library with iTunes on a computer and set up a music share that is available at all times to the Sonos system.
They are playing from the phones storage as they always have done. There use to be a control on the lock screen but it’s now gone. Leaving the phone unlocked is a pain and requires a settings change every time I wanna listen to music. The music share requires my computer to be running all the time so another work around rather than a true fix to the issue... not the best really... Latest update is a step backwards and not progress I’m afraid Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We're looking into an issue where streaming from iOS device's storage runs into issues with non-Sonos AirPlay devices. We'll update the thread when we have more to share, but in the meantime you can change your iOS settings such that your devices do not auto lock. To do so, head into the settings app and go to Display & Brightness, then set auto lock to never. Also, you can try disabling AirPlay on non-Sonos devices on your network.
Hi All
I have recently bought a Play:1 and have connected my phone laptop etc up to it and the sound is awesome! However when playing music from my iPhone 5s with music downloaded on the device and after a while if not actively using the phone (like 5mins) the phone has gone to sleep and the Play:1 cuts off playing music unless I wake the phone back up. if im quick enough I can see the message that it cannont play because the "music library is offline" on my device.
I have reserved the IP on my router for the Play:1
I have turned off wifi assist on iPhone
I have turned off IPV6 on router as well
I have turned off low power mode on the iPhone
The router and iPhone and speaker are in the same room.
For the life of me I don't know what else to try, and am thinking about returning the product and swapping for a Bluetooth speaker instead.

Any Help and ideas are most welcome
Many thanks
I just purchased a pair of Play:1 speakers and I'm having exactly the same issue on an iPhone7, IOS 11.4.1. Setting up the system went smoothly and I was up and listening in no time. I have no issues with my router or wifi and my house is single level dwelling, ~1,600'. I work for a media company and have an iPhone / work profile setup on my phone which does not allow for disabling the "auto lock" feature as a security measure. To Sonos, if you are unable to resolve this issue within the next 30 days, I will be returning the speakers to Amazon. It's unfortunate because the system sounds good and had this worked as expected, I would have purchased more to place throughout my home. Regards, Dale R.
Yep, same problem here but looks like Sonos are aware. Works fine when the phone is unlocked, as soon as you lock it, about 30-60 seconds of play back, then a pause and the next song kicks in about 14 seconds into it. Was fine until app and system update I did this week. Still love the system though
I don't have any solution to the problem, but I must say that I'm a little surprised that playing music stored on an iPhone is seen as a must have feature, since there are several other ways to play audio on Sonos. Maybe it's just my opinion, but playing directly from a music services, instead of downloading the music then playing it, would avoid this issues. As well, you can play audio directly from a computer or NAS on your network. I'd only play audio off my phone as a last resort personally.