Songs skipping when iPhone locked

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies
So I’ve been having issues with song playback for sometime now and it only happens when my iPhone is locked. When unlocked the tracks playback just fine... but the moment it locks the songs continuously skip. Serious pain in the ass! Music is streaming from my phone. Thoughts anyone?? WiFi is fine and full coverage around the house, 3 rooms with different speakers + sound bar and sub. Runs through a Sonos bridge which is directly connected to my router. Only happens when phone is locked, no other time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Badge
Sadly still cutting tacks short and skipping to next
Badge
Ah good. I’m off work tomorrow so generally I’d have my music playing all day. Last Friday was a music listening disaster so hoping for better tomorrow.
I will update you if it all goes pear shaped
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
1851666264 Latest diagnostic 7/3/19 17.30

The wireless environment looks better in this report. If you start getting any skipping from multiple sources, send along a new report and I'll check it out.
Badge
1851666264 Latest diagnostic 7/3/19 17.30
Badge
No other skipping, tv fine. Just iPad music library.
No skipping at moment but I’d have to have it on for a longer period to be sure as it sometimes starts off fine then goes crazy
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Right so Sonos are working on the problem and it will get fixed? Any idea of timescale as this has been a problem since long before Christmas.
In the mean time I’ve switched off my HP device, I’ve switched off the Bluetooth and airdrop on the iPad, auto says never and changed router channel to 11 and fingers crossed it will be better until a permanent fix happens. Is it worth me running another diagnostic to see if I have less interference now?

If you send in a new report I'll take a look for you. The real question is how whether you're having skipping. If so, do you get skipping from sources other than your iOS library?
Badge
Right so Sonos are working on the problem and it will get fixed? Any idea of timescale as this has been a problem since long before Christmas.
In the mean time I’ve switched off my HP device, I’ve switched off the Bluetooth and airdrop on the iPad, auto says never and changed router channel to 11 and fingers crossed it will be better until a permanent fix happens. Is it worth me running another diagnostic to see if I have less interference now?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
We are currently investigating issues with audio playback from an iPhone or iPad to Sonos when using the “From this iPhone or iPad” music source.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Playing music from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
Badge
When I access my sky router I can change the channel which I have done, now on 11, I cannot see a second device.
I don’t want to be buying extra pieces of kit when I’ve spent so much already so the nas will be a last resort.
My old system used a transmitter, worked perfectly and we only upgraded as we were told it a Sonos was so much better and using the WiFi was the way forward. I agree the sound quality is much better but as it mainly jumps skips and stops it’s pretty useless to me. Surely this should work out the box. I seem to be jumping through hoops to get it doing a basic thing, play music from my iPad.
I’m fed up
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m not sure I know what wireless access points are. I previously had my router set to channel 11....is that what you mean? That wasn’t any better tbh.
I have a HP wireless printer upstairs but all Sonos units are downstairs so didn’t think it would be a problem. However I could switch it off if it will help as I don’t use it much. As far as I’m aware I don’t have any airplay devices connected. I am playing music from my iPad with auto lock set to never. I’ve just turned airdrop receiving off on my iPad. Could that have been the problem? And what is an NAS drive....I have no computers.

There are 2 different devices from Sky creating wireless signals in your home. Your Conservatory connects to one on channel 6 while the other 3 speakers connect to a different device running on channel 1. Both are broadcasting your wireless network, but they are using different wireless channels. These can be configured on your Sky router most likely. Most of the time you can access your router's configuration page by navigating to its network address, in your case: http://192.168.0.1. There will likely be an access password required. The access user name and password may be written on the side or back of your router. If not, it would be best to reach out to Sky for help.

You can click on this link for more information on using a NAS drive with Sonos. In essence, it's a small hard drive that you can connect to your router and store files on it. This can be used for backup of important documents, and to store your media libraries.
Badge
I’m not sure I know what wireless access points are. I previously had my router set to channel 11....is that what you mean? That wasn’t any better tbh.
I have a HP wireless printer upstairs but all Sonos units are downstairs so didn’t think it would be a problem. However I could switch it off if it will help as I don’t use it much. As far as I’m aware I don’t have any airplay devices connected. I am playing music from my iPad with auto lock set to never. I’ve just turned airdrop receiving off on my iPad. Could that have been the problem? And what is an NAS drive....I have no computers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just ran a diagnostic 1190548109 and I’ve now reserved an IP address for each Sonos. If I don’t get my Sonos system sorted at least I’ll be able to get a job in IT ?

Thanks for the report. Your Sonos units are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This is likely due to 2 factors. First, you have multiple wireless access points running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for your Sonos units to stay in sync. Second, there's a strong wireless signal from an HP device near one of your access points running on the same wireless channel. I'd recommend changing all of your wireless access points over to wireless channel 11, which is less crowded than 1. It may also help to look for an HP printer or other wireless device and move it away from your speakers.

There's another issue that we're looking into where playback from the storage of an iOS device is interrupted by non-Sonos Airplay devices active on your network. This happens when the IOS device acting as the music server goes to sleep or into auto lock. You can disable Airplay on those devices or disable Auto lock to get this type of streaming going again. This is independent of any wireless interference issues you may have. If you have non-Sonos Airplay devices on your network, I'd recommend moving your music library to a NAS drive or a computer, then setting up a music share. This way you can play all of your music, using any device as a controller, without having to disable Airplay. It will even work if your iOS device goes into auto lock or offline entirely.
Badge
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just ran a diagnostic 1190548109 and I’ve now reserved an IP address for each Sonos. If I don’t get my Sonos system sorted at least I’ll be able to get a job in IT ?
Did you post the diagnostic number here, or call in with it? Just running a diagnostic really doesn't notify them, as they've indicated before.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Sky equipment, as I'm a US resident. There are quite a few UK folks around who might chip in on that, perhaps.

In 99% of cases, it isn't that hard. But at the end of the day, the system relies on the local network, and if that is dirty, then Sonos will be dirty as well. And my suggestion of reserving IP addresses just deals with one particular issue, it's not a silver bullet for everything. And the unplugging/reboot process does exactly the same thing, just not in a permanent state.

Post your new diagnostic number here in this thread, and we'll try to get Sonos to see it as quickly as possible.

For reference, you may want to read this:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/diagnostic-reports-how-do-they-work-6819123
Badge
Thanks. I’ve found my router settings and each device has its own IP address however I can’t find a way to reserve them. I’m with Sky.
I’m going to switch off all the Sonos devices and reboot the router and see if that makes any difference when they reconnect.
Will I ever get a direct reply to to this problem from Sonos?
I’ve posted about it before and run diagnostics and never had a reply.
I wish someone had told me I’d have to become a techie to get my Sonos to work. Surely it shouldnt be this hard?
I wouldn't say that the Sonos system isn't robust. I've had mine for at least 10 years (maybe longer?) and haven't had an issue since I went in to my router and set up reserved IP addresses for all of my network devices, not just my Sonos. My previous router was prone to losing its place in the DHCP table, and would seemingly reassign IP addresses everytime the Sonos devices would request them, when Sonos released a new software update. Once I cleaned up that issue, it's been rock solid since. And with a new router, I went in and assigned them all reservations in the new one, of course, so I don't know if it has the same issue of losing track. But I've moved, too, and the power line may be cleaner here than it was before. I've always made the assumption it was surges that caused the issue, but here I'm guessing.

But as John says, that error message is rather misleading, it's most often a reflection of the speakers saying "I can't reach the router" more than the router saying "I can't reach the outside world", which is what your speed is an indication of.

But if you're getting that particular error, and you're still waiting for a response from Sonos (it's only Sunday, the forum folks won't be in until tomorrow), I'd give a shot to the low tech fix. Simple, a little time consuming. Unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. Reboot your router, which sets it back up fresh. Then plug back in your Sonos devices, and they'll request new IP addresses from the router. That likely will fix the issues, at least if it's really a duplicate IP address problem. And if it does, I'd take some time to look up in your router's manual how to reserve IP addresses, and do that for everything that connects to your router, wired, or via wifi, since they all need and get an IP address.

But, it's feasible that I'm barking up the wrong tree here, and at that point, there still should be information in that diagnostic that will help Sonos help you.

Oh, one other thought. If you use a BRIDGE in your system, try removing it, and plugging your ethernet cable into one of the speakers temporarily. The age of the BRIDGE's power transformer is showing up in some cases, causing the device to drop out the signal, depending on voltage fluctuations. If you do have this issue, you can just keep an ethernet cable plugged in to one of the speakers, as they now can act in the same fashion as the BRIDGE, or if that's not helpful, you can get a replacement power cord for the BRIDGE on many websites....but I replaced my BRIDGE with a BOOST, which has a newer set of electronics in it, and is slightly better in usage. I happen to really like mine, it's rock solid, and serves the 17 or 18 Sonos speakers that I have quite well.
Badge
No streaming services because I have a vast music library so in theory I didn’t think I needed one.
No computer, ditched it years ago.
I seemed to have swapped and old but robust wireless music system for one that doesn’t work for me.
What’s the solution here? Could I transfer my music to a streaming service and play it that way? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I’ve never subscribed so I don’t know
Hi. If you are referring to a 'network speed is insufficient' message, this is to do with communications between your devices. As Bruce said, it has nothing to do with your internet speed. Also, this can be a mislesding message. It is really just saying, 'there are problems moving the data around'. The problem bit is almost certainly getting the data from the mobile device to the router. Playing from a mobile device is the least robust source and the one least under Sonos' control. Is the music stored anywhere else, such as a computer? Do you use streaming services?
Badge
Thanks Bruce,
The reason I mention the internet speed is because we get an error message saying this song cannot play due to internet speed.
Song cuts out. Goes quiet and then a minute later it try’s again and then this seems to continue in a loop. Either that it cuts songs short or just stops.
Only ever happens when playing from music library on my iPad/phone. Tv sound to all 4 speakers is fine.
However system was bought as sound bar for tv and as a music system. Music system side is sadly useless.
I have auto lock set to never on my iPad so that is not the problem either.
When we first bought it last year we had no issues but then it became useless and I can only assume that was down to an automatic update as we changed nothing within the house.
Joanna,

Your internet speed isn't the issue, that's measuring between your router and the outside world, not between the Sonos speakers and your router.

Sonos forum moderators and phone folks are off on weekends, so if you're looking for immediate assistance, they do have 24/7 support via Twitter. Information below, by clicking on "Contact us".
Badge
Ran a diagnostic sent 2.3.19 at 21.25
I have the same issues. Changed router channel many times but it’s not fixing it. We have super internet speed too.
Please fix this as our Sonos system is now an embarrassment and we can no longer recommend.
Very disappointed to say the least and severely out of pocket. A reply from Sonos would be good
Badge
I was told by Sonos that I could play music stored on my phone and still use my phone to make phone calls. Sounded exactly like what I needed. I wanted the ease of use to quickly play my library of songs in any room by pressing play.

agree, i bought for this exact same reason. I have my sonos; beam, sub, 2x play1 setup in master bedroom and another play1 in the master bathroom; and want to be able to stream music from my phone simultaneously to both systems at the same time.
it is very frustrating that Sonos keeps blaming on wifi reception, they need to man up and take responsibility and work with Apple to fix it.
Userlevel 1
This is BS. I will NEVER buy another Sonos product again. The restrictive nature of your product is so annoying. And then to read about these issues and Sonos deflecting and not providing a solution is entirely unprofessional. What a waste of money...never again.
I invested a couple thousand dollars in Sonos equipment. I was told by Sonos that I could play music stored on my phone and still use my phone to make phone calls. Sounded exactly like what I needed. I wanted the ease of use to quickly play my library of songs in any room by pressing play.

I have over 50 GB of music on my phone. I may be in the minority these days but its how I like to do it. I can control everything seamlessly from my car to my bluetooth speakers to my airpods... Unfortunately not to my Sonos speakers. I have been in contact with Sonos support for months, unfortunately I get the same cookie cutter response that everyone else is getting. No solutions, just excuses. I was excited to see a new update a few days back for the speakers and the app so I updated all of it. Curious this morning to see if they figured out how to get rid of the constant track skipping, I played an album from my phone while I took a shower. First song played through. Second song skipped to the next track half way through. Third song skipped after about 10 seconds. At the end of my 8 minute or so shower the album was on the ninth track when it should have been on the second if it had played all the way through. Annoyed yet again, I won't use my $2000+ Sonos speakers again for months.

Today I am going to start a campaign to inform everyone I can to not make the mistake I did by investing in Sonos equipment. I will write reviews on every platform possible, from their IOS Apps to electronic stores reviews. When I see their ads on Instagram, etc, I will comment that these products do not work the way they tell you that they do. I would advise you to do the same if you are experiencing these same issues. This has been going on now for over 6 months and Sonos is obviously aware of the issue but offering no real solutions. The only way Sonos is going to figure this out is with bad press and less profits.

I know people don't like it when users jump on these message boards and threaten to sue... But Sonos is advertising that I am able to stream music from my phone when in fact I CANNOT. Isn't this the definition of a class action lawsuit??? If anyone has any information on a class action lawsuit against Sonos, please let me know. I would love to get on board with that.

I want a refund on this worthless Sonos equipment.

If you are reading this to research whether or not you should buy Sonos products - DO NOT BUY SONOS. You will be flushing your money down the toilet.
It's Apple who made the change, not Sonos. Sonos is, I would expect, doing everything possible to rectify the situation. The flaw is with the release of iOS 11, where Apple unilaterally changed the way they allow data transfer when the iOS device is locked/asleep.. Got it, so Sonos shouldn’t have to tell customers that this is an issue before they purchase the devices. “Apple changed the way they do things months ago and we haven’t figured it out yet, so we don’t need to tell you.”