Songs skipping when iPhone locked

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just ran a diagnostic 1190548109 and I’ve now reserved an IP address for each Sonos. If I don’t get my Sonos system sorted at least I’ll be able to get a job in IT ?

Thanks for the report. Your Sonos units are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This is likely due to 2 factors. First, you have multiple wireless access points running on different wireless channels. This can make it hard for your Sonos units to stay in sync. Second, there's a strong wireless signal from an HP device near one of your access points running on the same wireless channel. I'd recommend changing all of your wireless access points over to wireless channel 11, which is less crowded than 1. It may also help to look for an HP printer or other wireless device and move it away from your speakers.

There's another issue that we're looking into where playback from the storage of an iOS device is interrupted by non-Sonos Airplay devices active on your network. This happens when the IOS device acting as the music server goes to sleep or into auto lock. You can disable Airplay on those devices or disable Auto lock to get this type of streaming going again. This is independent of any wireless interference issues you may have. If you have non-Sonos Airplay devices on your network, I'd recommend moving your music library to a NAS drive or a computer, then setting up a music share. This way you can play all of your music, using any device as a controller, without having to disable Airplay. It will even work if your iOS device goes into auto lock or offline entirely.
Badge
I’m not sure I know what wireless access points are. I previously had my router set to channel 11....is that what you mean? That wasn’t any better tbh.
I have a HP wireless printer upstairs but all Sonos units are downstairs so didn’t think it would be a problem. However I could switch it off if it will help as I don’t use it much. As far as I’m aware I don’t have any airplay devices connected. I am playing music from my iPad with auto lock set to never. I’ve just turned airdrop receiving off on my iPad. Could that have been the problem? And what is an NAS drive....I have no computers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m not sure I know what wireless access points are. I previously had my router set to channel 11....is that what you mean? That wasn’t any better tbh.
I have a HP wireless printer upstairs but all Sonos units are downstairs so didn’t think it would be a problem. However I could switch it off if it will help as I don’t use it much. As far as I’m aware I don’t have any airplay devices connected. I am playing music from my iPad with auto lock set to never. I’ve just turned airdrop receiving off on my iPad. Could that have been the problem? And what is an NAS drive....I have no computers.

There are 2 different devices from Sky creating wireless signals in your home. Your Conservatory connects to one on channel 6 while the other 3 speakers connect to a different device running on channel 1. Both are broadcasting your wireless network, but they are using different wireless channels. These can be configured on your Sky router most likely. Most of the time you can access your router's configuration page by navigating to its network address, in your case: http://192.168.0.1. There will likely be an access password required. The access user name and password may be written on the side or back of your router. If not, it would be best to reach out to Sky for help.

You can click on this link for more information on using a NAS drive with Sonos. In essence, it's a small hard drive that you can connect to your router and store files on it. This can be used for backup of important documents, and to store your media libraries.
Badge
When I access my sky router I can change the channel which I have done, now on 11, I cannot see a second device.
I don’t want to be buying extra pieces of kit when I’ve spent so much already so the nas will be a last resort.
My old system used a transmitter, worked perfectly and we only upgraded as we were told it a Sonos was so much better and using the WiFi was the way forward. I agree the sound quality is much better but as it mainly jumps skips and stops it’s pretty useless to me. Surely this should work out the box. I seem to be jumping through hoops to get it doing a basic thing, play music from my iPad.
I’m fed up
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
We are currently investigating issues with audio playback from an iPhone or iPad to Sonos when using the “From this iPhone or iPad” music source.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Playing music from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
Badge
Right so Sonos are working on the problem and it will get fixed? Any idea of timescale as this has been a problem since long before Christmas.
In the mean time I’ve switched off my HP device, I’ve switched off the Bluetooth and airdrop on the iPad, auto says never and changed router channel to 11 and fingers crossed it will be better until a permanent fix happens. Is it worth me running another diagnostic to see if I have less interference now?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Right so Sonos are working on the problem and it will get fixed? Any idea of timescale as this has been a problem since long before Christmas.
In the mean time I’ve switched off my HP device, I’ve switched off the Bluetooth and airdrop on the iPad, auto says never and changed router channel to 11 and fingers crossed it will be better until a permanent fix happens. Is it worth me running another diagnostic to see if I have less interference now?

If you send in a new report I'll take a look for you. The real question is how whether you're having skipping. If so, do you get skipping from sources other than your iOS library?
Badge
No other skipping, tv fine. Just iPad music library.
No skipping at moment but I’d have to have it on for a longer period to be sure as it sometimes starts off fine then goes crazy
Badge
1851666264 Latest diagnostic 7/3/19 17.30
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
1851666264 Latest diagnostic 7/3/19 17.30

The wireless environment looks better in this report. If you start getting any skipping from multiple sources, send along a new report and I'll check it out.
Badge
Ah good. I’m off work tomorrow so generally I’d have my music playing all day. Last Friday was a music listening disaster so hoping for better tomorrow.
I will update you if it all goes pear shaped
Badge
Sadly still cutting tacks short and skipping to next