Songs skipping when iPhone locked

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
boto, Send Sonos a diagnostic and post the number here, without that Sonos can't do much.
how does one do that? I clicked on the link someone posted to email them and it went to a dead page. What number do you want posted here?
submit a system diagnostic
I have the same issue, and almost with every song! I have Android, and I have updated to 9.1, but have not noticed any improvement at all. All I read is about iOS - any other Android user with same issue?
diagnostics number: 1938226269
thanks!
Just purchased and installed the Connect product. Cannot believe this issue exists, and I cannot fathom how or why a Sonos representative could suggest users to circumvent the most basic security feature on their iphone by leaving it unlocked. I have been a software engineer for over 20 years and would be fired on the spot if I recommended that to a customer.

Shame on Sonos for not fixing this and shame on them for idiotic suggestions to users.

As it stands, the device is unusable and my only two options are the hassles of a return or hoping that Sonos takes this problme more seriously. Considering the efforts they have made thus far, I seriously doubt they see this as their problem.
How I fixed the problem....

I was getting the skips when playing songs directly from my iPhone. Instead, I added Apple Music as a Music Service in the sonos iphone app. Go to More on the bottom right hand of the app (...), choose Apple Music, and log in to your apple music account.

If you do this, Sonos will play music directly from the cloud rather than your phone. It's likely that playing it from the phone is too much bandwidth for the sonos system to deal with, so they are blaming everyone for having network problems or to suggest they turn off their phone's security.

Obviously you need to be connected to the internet for this approach and you need to give your Apple log in information to Sonos. I think the reality is that Sonos is only really effective when directing cloud sourced music and that they just pretend you can play locally sourced music.

...It's likely that playing it from the phone is too much bandwidth for the sonos system to deal with...

I don't know what is your technical background but, please, don't write this kind of affirmation without doing proper research on Google. Streaming music requirer approx. 40k per second of data transfert! You can stream music with a tiny Raspberry Pi 😮 So no, streaming music doesn't required huge bandwidth and enormous cpu!

This is bad programming and bad Q/A job from Sonos period. Releasing product with such defect for a STREAMING PRODUCT is kind of disturbing.

Hopefully will get a fix soon so this episode will be just a bad dream.

...It's likely that playing it from the phone is too much bandwidth for the sonos system to deal with...

I don't know what is your technical background but, please, don't write this kind of affirmation without doing proper research on Google. Streaming music requirer approx. 40k per second of data transfert! You can stream music with a tiny Raspberry Pi 😮 So no, streaming music doesn't required huge bandwidth and enormous cpu!

This is bad programming and bad Q/A job from Sonos period. Releasing product with such defect for a STREAMING PRODUCT is kind of disturbing.

Hopefully will get a fix soon so this episode will be just a bad dream.

Read my comment again. I never defended Sonos. Instead I explicitly criticized them for incorrectly blaming the local streaming problems on end users' networks. Bandwidth obviously is not a problem and I saw no reason for pointing that, but thanks for pointing out the obvious quite rudely.

Moreover, instead of whining about Sonos, which isn't going to change what they are doing because they clearly don't care, I offered a solution that will likely work for many people.

Just in case you continue to miss the point: Sonos expects most users will use cloud sourced sources. They supposedly support local streaming but clearly have a bug. Those who want to stream locally should look for another product. Those who have a choice can use the cloud. Get it?
[...] Hopefully will get a fix soon so this episode will be just a bad dream.
It's an energy savings thing on the iPhone. Set either your iPhone (any iOS device in fact) to never auto lock or (much better) set up a Sonos music library.
[...] Hopefully will get a fix soon so this episode will be just a bad dream.
It's an energy savings thing on the iPhone. Set either your iPhone (any iOS device in fact) to never auto lock or (much better) set up a Sonos music library.

Actually, it's not. It's a programming bug because dismantling the auto lock doesn't work for many people who responded to this thread. And even if that was the real problem, it's a flat out terrible idea to disable the security system of the phone simply to use this one app. Streaming locally with the Music app does not require the lock screen disabling, so it's simply a stupid suggestion from the Sonos team.
...Bandwidth obviously is not a problem and I saw no reason for pointing that, but thanks for pointing out the obvious quite rudely

Sorry but I didn't feel your irony vs your previous post and saying Sonos was not competent. It was not to be rude.

Anyway, your solution is not satisfying for a lot of people who are not willing to pay AGAIN for Apple Music account to streams my own music AGAIN.

??? Are you kidding? Nothing to do with energy saving at all. How come I can listen to music from the same iPhone all day long with my bluetooth headset? Phone lock, in my pocket! Draining the battery is one thing but stopping playing music or skipping song is another matter altogether!

This is a sonos software problem period.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I think it's a little glib to propose switching to a NAS library, or disabling phone locking. My brief testing today indicates that there is a 100% reproducible issue with streaming from an iOS device (*). Either Sonos supports this feature or it doesn't. If it supports it, it should work.

(*) I tested streaming from my library on an iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.4.1, with Sonos 9.1. Once the phone was left idle, the stream would drop or skip ahead with error "Unable to play XXX - the connection to XXX iPhone was lost", after 2 to 5 minutes. I tried with power disconnected and connected. My Sonos installation is 100% solid with an all green connectivity matrix, and streams perfectly from other local (NAS) sources.
Connect the Lightning cable to your iOS device and see what happens while the device is charging. The stored music will happily stream without skipping, I bet.

See also
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Connect the Lightning cable to your iOS device and see what happens while the device is charging. The stored music will happily stream without skipping, I bet.
I did test that, as I noted above: it didn't make a difference (which surprised me).
I'll test with iOS 12 shortly.
I did test that, as I noted above: it didn't make a difference (which surprised me).

Does the music skip if the iPhone is kept unlocked? Further, do you have any non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network (e.g. Apple TV, Time Capsule or Airport Express/Extreme)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

We've just released version 9.1 which has a few bug fixes, including one which should help with iOS device streaming issues. Please update your systems and test out iOS streaming. If any audio dropouts continue, please see our guide to troubleshooting audio drops and reach out if that doesn't help.

The update to version 9.1 has not solved this issue for me. Music on my iPhone will stop/skip when the iPhone is locked. Connecting to a music library (computer on the network) is not a good solution, because I don’t want to have that computer on all the time. Please help!

If the update did not help, please see this guide to troubleshooting audio interruptions. If you're still having issues after going through the guide, please reach out to our phone team who can take over from there. You can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Does the music skip if the iPhone is kept unlocked? Further, do you have any non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network (e.g. Apple TV, Time Capsule or Airport Express/Extreme)?

Yes, the music skips if the phone is unlocked -- as long as it's allowed to become idle (blank screen).

Yes, I have a couple of non-Sonos AirPlay devices, as well as running AirConnect (https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect/blob/master/bin/airupnp-arm) on one of my server systems, to allow AirPlay access to all of my Sonos devices. All are working fine. However, I don't see how AirPlay interacts with this issue.

The issue is still present with iOS 12.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If the update did not help, please see this guide to troubleshooting audio interruptions. If you're still having issues after going through the guide, please reach out to our phone team who can take over from there. You can find our phone number and hours here.
None of the issues in the troubleshooter apply to my system. I consider myself a relatively expert Sonos user, and my Sonos systems -- and indeed my home networking infrastructure -- are carefully configured and working perfectly.

I should confess that I don't need to use this feature myself. I tested out of curiosity, and I was just confirming on this thread that I think Sonos has a genuine issue to deal with here, not one that is simply an isolated consequence of other problems with people's Sonos systems.
Yes, the music skips if the phone is unlocked -- as long as it's allowed to become idle (blank screen).
The device should be set to never auto lock.

Yes, I have a couple of non-Sonos AirPlay devices, as well as running AirConnect (https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect/blob/master/bin/airupnp-arm) on one of my server systems, to allow AirPlay access to all of my Sonos devices. All are working fine. However, I don't see how AirPlay interacts with this issue.
The issue is still present with iOS 12.

There's an issue related to music stored on an iOS device; should have been resolved with v9.1.

Hi everyone. Songs cutting out is a fairly generic symptom, however, there is a specific issue that we're looking into where streaming from iOS device's storage (using "On this iPhone/iPad") runs into issues with non-Sonos AirPlay devices. You can change your iOS settings such that your devices do not auto lock, which would prevent this issue. To do so, head into the settings app and go to Display & Brightness, then set auto lock to never. Also, you can try disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices on your network, as this can also prevent the issue from coming up.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/my-sonos-keeps-cutting-off-songs-before-the-end-6810174/index1.html#post16257424
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The device should be set to never auto lock.

Yes, that's what I tested.
I should confess that I don't need to use this feature myself. I tested out of curiosity, and I was just confirming on this thread that I think Sonos has a genuine issue to deal with here, not one that is simply an isolated consequence of other problems with people's Sonos systems.
The skipping problem also occurs with Androids.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The skipping issue also occurs with Androids.

Yes, I'd seen that. I don't have a recent enough Android device to test with, so I can't add anything to that aspect of the discussion.
Doesn't seem to be as wide spread as with iOS.
Badge
Hi everyone,

We've just released version 9.1 which has a few bug fixes, including one which should help with iOS device streaming issues. Please update your systems and test out iOS streaming. If any audio dropouts continue, please see our guide to troubleshooting audio drops and reach out if that doesn't help.

The update to version 9.1 has not solved this issue for me. Music on my iPhone will stop/skip when the iPhone is locked. Connecting to a music library (computer on the network) is not a good solution, because I don’t want to have that computer on all the time. Please help!

Hi Jeff,
I have reached out to your team. They ran some tests with me and confirmed that the problem is indeed down to the streaming from the device stopping as soon as it auto locks. Their only solution was -as detailed above- to disable the auto lock or stream from a library on or attached to my PC.
This never used to be a problem until about a year ago, and I am bitterly disappointed that I am basically now unable to stream from my iPhone or iPad without compromising their security & rapidly draining their batteries.
This certainly sounds like a software failing or incompatibility with iOS settings.
Are you able to offer any reassurance that Sonos are working on a fix for this?