Songs skipping when iPhone locked

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies
So I’ve been having issues with song playback for sometime now and it only happens when my iPhone is locked. When unlocked the tracks playback just fine... but the moment it locks the songs continuously skip. Serious pain in the ass! Music is streaming from my phone. Thoughts anyone?? WiFi is fine and full coverage around the house, 3 rooms with different speakers + sound bar and sub. Runs through a Sonos bridge which is directly connected to my router. Only happens when phone is locked, no other time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I’ve been having issues with song playback for sometime now and it only happens when my iPhone is locked. When unlocked the tracks playback just fine... but the moment it locks the songs continuously skip. Serious pain in the ass! Music is streaming from my phone. Thoughts anyone?? WiFi is fine and full coverage around the house, 3 rooms with different speakers + sound bar and sub. Runs through a Sonos bridge which is directly connected to my router. Only happens when phone is locked, no other time.

Hi GavP,

What is the source of the audio files you are playing? If you are playing from your phone's storage, it will work best with your phone unlocked. Otherwise you can sync your phone's library with iTunes on a computer and set up a music share that is available at all times to the Sonos system.
They are playing from the phones storage as they always have done. There use to be a control on the lock screen but it’s now gone. Leaving the phone unlocked is a pain and requires a settings change every time I wanna listen to music. The music share requires my computer to be running all the time so another work around rather than a true fix to the issue... not the best really... Latest update is a step backwards and not progress I’m afraid Sonos!
I’m having exactly the same issue, it only started when Sonos recently removed the control from the lock screen - Sonos can you fix your App please??
I just started having the same issue after I updated the software today. WTF!!????!!!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We're looking into an issue where streaming from iOS device's storage runs into issues with non-Sonos AirPlay devices. We'll update the thread when we have more to share, but in the meantime you can change your iOS settings such that your devices do not auto lock. To do so, head into the settings app and go to Display & Brightness, then set auto lock to never. Also, you can try disabling AirPlay on non-Sonos devices on your network.
Hi All
I have recently bought a Play:1 and have connected my phone laptop etc up to it and the sound is awesome! However when playing music from my iPhone 5s with music downloaded on the device and after a while if not actively using the phone (like 5mins) the phone has gone to sleep and the Play:1 cuts off playing music unless I wake the phone back up. if im quick enough I can see the message that it cannont play because the "music library is offline" on my device.
I have reserved the IP on my router for the Play:1
I have turned off wifi assist on iPhone
I have turned off IPV6 on router as well
I have turned off low power mode on the iPhone
The router and iPhone and speaker are in the same room.
For the life of me I don't know what else to try, and am thinking about returning the product and swapping for a Bluetooth speaker instead.

Any Help and ideas are most welcome
Many thanks
I just purchased a pair of Play:1 speakers and I'm having exactly the same issue on an iPhone7, IOS 11.4.1. Setting up the system went smoothly and I was up and listening in no time. I have no issues with my router or wifi and my house is single level dwelling, ~1,600'. I work for a media company and have an iPhone / work profile setup on my phone which does not allow for disabling the "auto lock" feature as a security measure. To Sonos, if you are unable to resolve this issue within the next 30 days, I will be returning the speakers to Amazon. It's unfortunate because the system sounds good and had this worked as expected, I would have purchased more to place throughout my home. Regards, Dale R.
Yep, same problem here but looks like Sonos are aware. Works fine when the phone is unlocked, as soon as you lock it, about 30-60 seconds of play back, then a pause and the next song kicks in about 14 seconds into it. Was fine until app and system update I did this week. Still love the system though
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't have any solution to the problem, but I must say that I'm a little surprised that playing music stored on an iPhone is seen as a must have feature, since there are several other ways to play audio on Sonos. Maybe it's just my opinion, but playing directly from a music services, instead of downloading the music then playing it, would avoid this issues. As well, you can play audio directly from a computer or NAS on your network. I'd only play audio off my phone as a last resort personally.
I don't have any solution to the problem, but I must say that I'm a little surprised that playing music stored on an iPhone is seen as a must have feature, since there are several other ways to play audio on Sonos. Maybe it's just my opinion, but playing directly from a music services, instead of downloading the music then playing it, would avoid this issues. As well, you can play audio directly from a computer or NAS on your network. I'd only play audio off my phone as a last resort personally. Like you say you don’t have a solution, so I’m surprised you wasted your time expressing your completely pointless opinion, of course people want to play music from their library! Why pay for a streaming service when you’ve got everything you want already!? *insert rolling eyes emoji*
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Umm, I did say that an option was to play music off your computer or NAS (your library), which would avoid any iPhone locking issue and any music service fees. That may not be an acceptable alternative for you for whatever reason you may have, but it's an option for anyone who's running into this issue.
Badge
Having the same issue on iPhone 8 Plus. A short time after locking my iPhone screen, the Sonos skips tracks. Sonos have totally screwed over existing customers with their implementation of airplay 2 and the loss of lock screen controls for the rest of us
I have the exact same issue on my Samsung Galaxy S8. If I keep the phone unlocked there is no skipping, but if it locks then it skips to the next song when there is about 10 - 15 seconds left in the current song. I don't understand why Sonos can't just test this to find the issue; it isn't that difficult to replicate.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
We’re experiencing this same exact issue which seems to have gotten worse after Sonos released the update with AirPlay 2 support when we also lost our iOS lock screen controls.

In our home we have:
-Two Sonos Play 1s
-iPhone SE iOS 11.4.1 with music from local device
-Apple TV and Denon AV Receiver both with AirPlay 1 enabled

When using Sonos with music on the iPhone SE songs will play for a bit and skip early to the next track in the playlist. It’s possible that it happens when the iPhone auto locks. It does not appear to happen when you manually lock the phone. On the iPhone the screen is set to auto lock after 5 minutes, with password required immediately at lock, and background refresh is set to off for all apps on this iPhone.

This same iPhone is able to stream the same playlist via AirPlay to our Denon AV Receiver while locked with no skipping. This confirms that it’s not an issue with the phone’s WiFi connection.

Diagnostics confirmation # 366485044
Guys, why don't you go for a plain solution.

Adding and updating your music library

Using a NAS drive with Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Guys, why don't you go for a plain solution.

Adding and updating your music library

Using a NAS drive with Sonos

My wife wants to use the music playlist that she maintains on her iPhone which would not be stored/maintained on a desktop or NAS device. We don’t leave our desktop PC powered on all the time.
My wife wants to use the music playlist that she maintains on her iPhone which would not be stored/maintained on a desktop or NAS device. We don’t leave our desktop PC powered on all the time.
Do you have an Apple Music subscription?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Do you have an Apple Music subscription?

I do have an Apple Music subscription and I don't have any skipping issues when playing music from the Apple Music subscription since Sonos streams the audio direct from the Apple Music cloud service.

My wife does not have an Apple Music subscription so she has Sonos setup to play music direct from her phone's media library. This is a Sonos feature which is not working and Sonos should fix it.
With Apple Music Family she could upload her music to iCloud and make use of the iCloud Music Library. Works fine on Sonos.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204926
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
With Apple Music Family she could upload her music to iCloud and make use of the iCloud Music Library. Works fine on Sonos.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204926

Thank you for the suggestion/workaround. My wife doesn't want to pay for Apple Music. We're just going to wait for Sonos to fix this issue. 🙂
Userlevel 1
This may be of interest to members who are wanting to play music stored on Apple products.Someone on an Apple site suggested to go into settings > iTunes > Sign in with your Apple password > Press “done”. I did this over 2 hours ago & up to now, no jumping or cutting out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

We've just released version 9.1 which has a few bug fixes, including one which should help with iOS device streaming issues. Please update your systems and test out iOS streaming. If any audio dropouts continue, please see our guide to troubleshooting audio drops and reach out if that doesn't help.
Badge
I’ve been having the same problem for about a year now, with an I-Phone 6, an I-Phone 8 and my I-Pad. The only solution from Sonos (as above) has been to keep the device unlocked (a real battery drainer) or stream from my PC (which I don’t have switched on at all times) so not ideal.
It never used to be a problem when streaming files from a locked device - are we any closer to a fix for this?
(I have lots of music that’s not available on streaming sites, so that is not a suitable alternative suggestion.) I was so happy with my Sonos set up but this has seriously spoiled it for me.
Hi everyone,

We've just released version 9.1 which has a few bug fixes, including one which should help with iOS device streaming issues. Please update your systems and test out iOS streaming. If any audio dropouts continue, please see our guide to troubleshooting audio drops and reach out if that doesn't help.

The update to version 9.1 has not solved this issue for me. Music on my iPhone will stop/skip when the iPhone is locked. Connecting to a music library (computer on the network) is not a good solution, because I don’t want to have that computer on all the time. Please help!
I never had the problem before 9.1, now it is horrible! PLEASE HELP!