Question

Songs randomly skip when using Google Play

Badge
Hi,

For the last few weeks I have been experiencing song skipping when using Google Play, no issues previous 4/5 months. After some seconds it will randomly skip to the next song with a message "unable to play song, connection to google play was lost".

This seems to happen for a short time, and then stops and works fine. I've checked for interference, no changes in the set-up or other devices. All is the same.

My play bar is wired into my router, it sits two foot away, but then it has since set-up. My x2 play3's sit remotely behind on wifi.

Note that my TV set-up never drops out, only when playing through my google play account.

I already read the advice to change channels, so I'm on route wifi 11.

My diagnostic ref is 7158823.

Help would be most appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Badge
EDIT: Would like to add that when I play TuneIn radio I have no issues from any device. This affects Google Play with Sonos. I have no issues if I simply play tracks from google play not linked to Sonos. Additionally, I've disconnected other devices to see if there is a difference, there isn't. logged out, logged in, removed accounts, powered down, unplugged, reset everything, prayed and shouted a bit...nothing, same issue. Its pretty much skipped all morning today.
Yes. I am gaving the same issue with google play and sonos. My patience is wearing thin with sonos. About to throw this dam speaker in the garbage and just buy a chromecast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Juno1, the diagnostic is showing some latency issues, likely the cause, but it's hard to pinpoint there what's causing those issues so we'll need just a bit of information here on the set up. Is Sonos connected to a wireless access point instead of the main network? I see two networks that have similar names and just want to make sure the device Sonos is getting its network connection from isn't the weak link.

Internet radio can have a bit higher buffer and lower bandwidth requirements then Google Play Music, so it might not cut out when Google does. If you keep having trouble here, it's probably best to give us a call on our support line.

@Usernamescrewthat, we'd be happy to take a look if you'd like to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number. Make sure to do this within 5-10 minutes of having a playback issue so there are good details in the report.
Yeah, i can submit a report. Like the OP I have isolated it to only sonos (google play works fine in my car on android and on my computer) and all other services through sonos work fine like sirius xm and tunein radio.

I'll have to start switching channels on my wifi see if that helps but honestly its a pain in the butt, and I have better things to do then submit diag. reports and tinker with wifi signals. I just want to listen to music that doesn't skip randomly. Also I just got an email about a controller update, so I'll try uninstalling and updating to the latest sonos controller version see if that helps.
I've been having the same Google Play Music issue with my setup. According to my error log (below), it seemed to start up on March 1st. Prior to then, my setup had been fairly solid (no issues with skipping). Since then, I've had many errors.

I could be imagining things, but it seems to happen most often on my Connect. I have a few Play 1s, and they seem to have better luck. The strange this is my Connect is wired, while the Play 1s are wireless (on sonosnet).

I opened a ticket with support, but haven't arrived at a solution, yet.

Error log:

3/1/17, 7:37 AM Unable to play 'Buy the Stars' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/6/17, 6:07 PM Unable to play 'Superficial' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:05 AM Unable to play 'C.N.T.R.C.K.T.' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:31 AM Unable to play 'Voodoo' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:42 AM Unable to play 'Growing Pains' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:52 AM Unable to play 'Crazy World' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:57 AM Unable to play 'Spanish Sahara' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 8:02 AM Unable to play 'Bitter Is The Sweetest Part' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 8:08 AM Unable to play 'Girlfriend' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 6:54 AM Unable to play 'Suburbia' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 6:54 AM Unable to play 'Suburbia' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 7:06 AM Unable to play 'Red Hot Blues' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 7:47 AM Unable to play 'Loud(y)' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 7:57 AM Unable to play 'Sweet Ophelia' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 8:16 AM Unable to play 'Tongues (feat. KOPPS)' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 8:17 AM Unable to play 'Tongues (feat. KOPPS)' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 7:00 AM Unable to play 'The New' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 7:00 AM Unable to play 'The New' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 8:10 AM Unable to play 'Glass Ceiling' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 8:21 AM Unable to play 'Dance With Me' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 8:27 AM Unable to play 'Glow In The Dark' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 6:03 PM Unable to play 'Oh, Why' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
I have a case open on this now. I was setup in standard mode, and now I've moved over to BOOST mode which was suggested that I should do because I have two access points which apparently isn't supported. I never had any issues until now, I'll be calling in today to see if I can get anywhere. It's driving me nuts.
I've been having the same Google Play Music issue with my setup. According to my error log (below), it seemed to start up on March 1st. Prior to then, my setup had been fairly solid (no issues with skipping). Since then, I've had many errors.

I could be imagining things, but it seems to happen most often on my Connect. I have a few Play 1s, and they seem to have better luck. The strange this is my Connect is wired, while the Play 1s are wireless (on sonosnet).

I ended up doing a factory reset on my troublesome CONNECT unit, and it has been good so far (*knock on wood*). The factory reset was pretty painless, since my music services and whatnot were stored in my PLAY1 units -- I didn't have to do much re-configuring to get the CONNECT back up and running.

It is worth noting that the factory reset forced me to upgrade to version 7.1 before I could add the CONNECT back to my setup. Prior to then I was still running 6.3. (I was holding off on upgrading due to the changes in queue behavior.)

I'm not sure which step actually restored service (upgrading to 7.1, factory reset, something else), but hopefully it stays stable.

Error log:

3/1/17, 7:37 AM Unable to play 'Buy the Stars' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/6/17, 6:07 PM Unable to play 'Superficial' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:05 AM Unable to play 'C.N.T.R.C.K.T.' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:31 AM Unable to play 'Voodoo' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:42 AM Unable to play 'Growing Pains' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:52 AM Unable to play 'Crazy World' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 7:57 AM Unable to play 'Spanish Sahara' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 8:02 AM Unable to play 'Bitter Is The Sweetest Part' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/7/17, 8:08 AM Unable to play 'Girlfriend' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 7:06 AM Unable to play 'Red Hot Blues' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 7:47 AM Unable to play 'Loud(y)' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 7:57 AM Unable to play 'Sweet Ophelia' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 8:16 AM Unable to play 'Tongues (feat. KOPPS)' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/8/17, 8:17 AM Unable to play 'Tongues (feat. KOPPS)' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 8:10 AM Unable to play 'Glass Ceiling' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 8:21 AM Unable to play 'Dance With Me' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 8:27 AM Unable to play 'Glow In The Dark' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.
3/9/17, 6:03 PM Unable to play 'Oh, Why' - the connection to Google Play Music was lost.

I have exactly the same problem as Shawn and it started around the same time as well. We have four play:1 in two groups on wifi in the room next to the router. The setup has not changed one bit but suddenly we have problems with my Google Play Music account. My wife's Spotify account works flawlessly as do TuneIn. I've had the system for well over a year now and never had any problems before.
Must I factory reset all four Play:1 units or what is the solution?

BR. Kristian
Kristian,

May I suggest that you submit a system diagnostic and post the number here? That might lead the folks at Sonos to a solution for you.
Kristian,

May I suggest that you submit a system diagnostic and post the number here? That might lead the folks at Sonos to a solution for you.

I have now submitted two system diagnostics with ref numbers 7434475 and 7438308. At the first one it claimed there to be a bandwidth problem so i ran a speedtest on speedtest.net and got 81/81 Mbit @ 11 ms latency while sonos was struggling to stream from Google Play Music.
The last diagnostic had a new error saying something like "could not play the selected device" which I have seen before in the past few months and decided to create a second diagnostic.

Any help/pointers are much appreciated.

BR Kristian
Great, hopefully someone from Sonos will be along soon to look at those diagnostics.

Just for your edification, most frequently when you get the "bandwidth problem", it's about the bandwidth of your local wifi, i.e. your internal system, not the connection to the outside world. It indicates that the speaker is having issues getting to your router. And oddly, different services have different tolerances to error rates, which may be why TuneIn is working, while Google Play is erroring out.

Since I'm not a Sonos employee, I can't see the contents of your diagnostic, but it sounds to me as if it might be one of two things, either wireless interference, or duplicate IP addresses.

In order to work on the first, I'd try things like changing the router's broadcast channel. If you've got one of the speakers connected to the router directly, you could try changing the SonosNet channel as well.

If it turns out to be a duplicate IP address, you should shut down all speakers (unplug the power) and any other device that's connected to your wifi router as well, including phones, laptops, whatever. Then power cycle the router, and give it a minute or two to boot up, and then go back and power up each device you have, waiting a minute between each one to allow it enough time to boot up and request an IP address from your router. A slightly more complex way, although better in the long term, is to set up static IP reservations for each speaker in your router. Each system seems to handle that process differently, so if you want to go that road, I'd recommend looking in the router's manual for how to do that.

So, that's what I'd recommend, at least while you wait from a Sonos rep to come along and look at those diagnostics.
Same issue here; TuneIn works fine, Google Play works on my laptop, phone and tablet so it's definitely a connection issue with Sonos and Google API. I've set the channel a couple of times, but it makes no difference. It's driving me nuts and at this rate we'll be selling the unit and won't be buying another one every again. What's the guidance here Sonos?