Answered

Songs on device skip on sonos one

• 20 February 2018
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I bought sonos one speakers and every once in a while the songs will skip to the next song half way through.

The WiFi is strong as it is on the same floor and the WiFi signal on my phone is high. Anyone know why this happens when playing songs from my iPhone to sonos?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 21 February 2018, 19:36

Hi there, michael319. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. In most cases with skipping, it can be attributed to network connectivity and/or wireless interference. Based on the diagnostic report you are set up using a standard wireless setup. Because of this, each individual speaker needs to talk to the router before sending data to other speakers. In comparison, a BOOST configuration allows for Sonos devices to speak directly to one another. Check out this article that outlines the differences and benefits of each configuration. In most cases, a BOOST configuration (which is when any Sonos device is left plugged into the router directly via Ethernet) leads to a more robust Sonos system. This is because the speakers can "telephone" data over shorter pathways, rather than each speaker sending data over longer distances encountering more interference. According to the diagnostic report, the Kitchen and Bedroom are both having a hard time maintaining a steady connection to the Verizon router. Switching to a BOOST configuration could certainly address this.

Additionally, any information about your local network (i.e: make and model of your router and any extenders or access points) could help us understand exactly how Sonos is interacting with the network.

If you switch to the BOOST configuration, submit another diagnostic report and I'll be happy to compare results.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It's probably down to Wi-Fi interference, have you tried changing the Wi-Fi channel under Settings>Advance?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have not. I should set up my sonos with Ethernet first to do that right? Otherwise I can’t in my settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please see this Article for the steps:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230?_ga=2.257049163.1707380335.1518595773-1491669311.1488879254

Please retest.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I had already changed to channel 6. I’ll try other. But what about plugging one of my sonos to my router via Ethernet and doing wireless set up from the sonos app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I had already changed to channel 6. I’ll try other. But what about plugging one of my sonos to my router via Ethernet and doing wireless set up from the sonos app?

It's best to remove the Wi-Fi password and press the 'Sonos App>Settings>Advanced>Wireless Setup>Reset' if you are going to connect via SonosNet with a Sonos device connected via an Ethernet cable. You can then change the SonosNet Channel in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced
Userlevel 1
Badge

It's best to remove the Wi-Fi password and press the 'Sonos App>Settings>Advanced>Wireless Setup>Reset' if you are going to connect via SonosNet with a Sonos device connected via an Ethernet cable. You can then change the SonosNet Channel in the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced

When I clicked wireless set up on my sonos settings. It says
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes this is a temporary step to reset the Wi-Fi details stored in the Sonos Player.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes this is a temporary step to reset the Wi-Fi details stored in the Sonos Player.i don’t want to change my WiFi password. Can’t I just plug the sonos to the router and go through the steps to set up again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes this is a temporary step to reset the Wi-Fi details stored in the Sonos Player.i don’t want to change my WiFi password. Can’t I just plug the sonos to the router and go through the steps to set up again.Yep
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes this is a temporary step to reset the Wi-Fi details stored in the Sonos Player.i don’t want to change my WiFi password. Can’t I just plug the sonos to the router and go through the steps to set up again.Yepokay I plugged in one of my sonos to my router via Ethernet and set up the wireless connection again.

If this doesn’t work I’ll try switching to channel 11 and or 1.

Wish you could just put the sonos speakers on a different channel.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It seems the skipping happens more often when you ask Alexa to continue playing after to have paused. If I go to my sonos app and press play from there it seems to play without skipping. Hmm.

Never mind still skipping.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number on this thread.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number on this thread. not sure if I did it right. Do I just go to advance settings and click submit diagnostics

That’s code I got. I changed to channel 11 so far skipped again. Gotta try channel 1 next.

Is this a known issue with sonos one?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number on this thread.
Just to confirm I am using standard setup. Not boost set up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you submit a diagnostic and post the number on this thread. not sure if I did it right. Do I just go to advance settings and click submit diagnostics

That’s code I got. I changed to channel 11 so far skipped again. Gotta try channel 1 next.

Thanks for that someone at Sonos will have a look.

I've had a Sonos One for months now and I don't experience any skipping.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for that someone at Sonos will have a look.

I've had a Sonos One for months now and I don't experience any skipping.
hmm And you have boost or standard set up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a boost set-up with a Connect connected via an Ethernet cable.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a boost set-up with a Connect connected via an Ethernet cable.
IF this was a WiFi channel issue wouldn’t music from amazon streaming and I heart radio also skip?

Would plugging one of my sonos one directly to Ethernet help this problem?

Or would I actually need to buy a boost system for 100?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It would be a good idea to try an Ethernet connection first.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It would be a good idea to try an Ethernet connection first.is there a difference between the boost product and plugging one of my sonos to Ethernet? Isn’t it the same?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Boost has a much longer range but in most situations a SonosNet connection between devices with one connected via Ethernet is all that is required. Do you have an old house with thick walls?
Userlevel 1
Badge
The Boost has a much longer range but in most situations a SonosNet connection between devices with one connected via Ethernet is all that is required. Do you have an old house with thick walls?nope it’s new construction. It’s strange. I was in same room as the speaker and router snd it still randomly skips to Next song.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
[quote=michael319]The Boost has a much longer range but in most situations a SonosNet connection between devices with one connected via Ethernet is all that is required. Do you have an old house with thick walls?nope it’s new construction. It’s strange. I was in same room as the speaker and router snd it still randomly skips to Next song.[/quote

It is strange and not the norm!
Userlevel 1
Badge
[quote=UKMedia][quote=michael319]The Boost has a much longer range but in most situations a SonosNet connection between devices with one connected via Ethernet is all that is required. Do you have an old house with thick walls?nope it’s new construction. It’s strange. I was in same room as the speaker and router snd it still randomly skips to Next song.[/quote

It is strange and not the norm![/quote]so I just downloaded sonos on my Mac and thought that would be better to play music from. Also I didn’t realize I could still go through my library via my phone for my Mac. Problem is my computer eventually goes to sleep and the WiFi shuts off on it. So not sure how the Mac book would be better than my phone to play my library.

Am I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So I don't know a huge amount about Mac's but you should be able to adjust the Power Options and stop the Mac from going to sleep.