Answered

Songs continually cut in and out, skip, stop altogether

• 30 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hoping someone has some advice that can help. 

I’ve been dealing with Sonos customer service regarding my connectivity issues and they haven’t been able to solve my problem either.  I have a blend of older speakers - all of which were very expensive!  

Play 5 - plugged in via Ethernet

(2) Play 3

(3) Play 1

(2) Connect

Connect:Amp

There are 9 “speakers” in total and I can hardly ever get them all to play at once without buffering, cutting out, or skipping songs.  I upgraded my router to a professional mesh system (3 placed throughout the house) and upgraded my Internet to fiber optic.  My home is 1,900 square feet and has 3(!) routers placed throughout it.  Connection speeds range from 250mbps - 350mbps. I find it very hard to believe that Internet is the problem.  And it is EVERY speaker that will cut out from time to time, including those that have nothing but a few feet of interference-free space between them.  My Play:5 is literally plugged into the router with an Ethernet cable and STILL cuts out. How much better of a connection do I need?

I’m very frustrated with Sonos because it seems the earlier you adopted and paid for their product, the more screwed you are.  I have Advent speakers from 1971 that are more reliable than Sonos.  I would love to upgrade my system to new technology but it seems that’d be a foolish idea. After all, the technology will be dated and slow in ~7 years. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 30 August 2022, 19:17

View original

2 replies

It sure sounds, no pun intended, like you have network issues internally. That connection speed you mention is likely between your router and the outside world, and as such would have little to do with the speed inside your network. 

I suspect that purchasing the “professional mesh system” did little to resolve your issues, in fact there are many threads about how much difficulty they add to a hopefully simple network.

There’s several things I’d recommend, in the face of a lack of information about your system, and your network.

First, I’d try a simple network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and while they’re powered down, reboot the router (or all of them? Not sure why three separate routers are necessary, Sonos works from a single subnet, not multiple subnets. Unless you mean extenders, rather than routers, which is different, and Sonos does say that they don’t work with extenders frequently, due to the fact that they often split systems into multiple subnets….but as you have one device wired, that’s a moot issue). Once the router(s) have rebooted and stabilized, plug the Sonos devices back in to power. 

Make sure your PLAY:5 is plugged in to the “main” or “Base” or “root” router, and not one of those others you mention. 

Double check the information in the wifi interference FAQ, especially around competing wifi signals, either from inside your network, from devices too close to others, or from external influences, such as neighbors, etc. A “few feet” is generally accepted to be three feet, for Sonos’ purposes, but older devices are less capable than newer ones in rejecting interference, so be cautious. 

Finally, I’d recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. Having hard data to look at would go a long way in helping identify what the issue is, and unfortunately, the vast majority of us on this community forum don’t have access to your diagnostics. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Having suggested to @mike11292 that he should start a new thread with this topic, I continued posting on the other thread. Probably best now to continue over there.  My fault.