Answered

Song skips and Alexa Doesn't find artists in my library

• 2 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Just got my Sonos One speaker and works pretty well. Fidelity is wonderful but I did have a couple of songs skip in the middle to the next song. The Sonos is accessing my iTunes song library from my iPhone and wondered if there might be some interference from my iMac computer even though iTunes is not opened?

I have never used Alexa before and am finding that it finds some of the artists in my iTunes library and not others. For instance, I have a Bunny Berrigan (1930-40's) Jazz CD. I've asked Alex several times to play it but the response is that she can't find it. Also follows up that Bunny Berrigan is in Amazon Music and that I can sign up for it. Really, really annoying and hardly worth using the app if I have to hear that everytime Alexa isn't doing her job. I don't want to subscribe to a music service. I love Amazon but can't listen to that. Is there any way to turn the advertisement off?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 March 2018, 20:39

Voice commands through Alexa for local library tracks are not available at this point. You can control local library music with commands such as resume, stop, skip, volume, but you can’t control searches and specific track commands. The Alexa skill is connecting to streaming services when you ask for a specific artist or track, and not your local library.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Voice commands through Alexa for local library tracks are not available at this point. You can control local library music with commands such as resume, stop, skip, volume, but you can’t control searches and specific track commands. The Alexa skill is connecting to streaming services when you ask for a specific artist or track, and not your local library.
What I do is start the playlist I want using a controller app, and then do all the other stuff by voice.
Thanks. That explains a lot. I noticed that when Alexa played a request such as Junior Wells there was a little Amazon smile logo on the screen and looked like the file was coming from there. Makes sense now. I prefer listening to complete albums so will control from phone.
Yep, it's been discussed at length in many other threads here in these boards. Sonos has stated that they want to implement the ability, but there are many of us who think it's not really high on their priority list, due to what we perceive to be the relatively small number of folks like you and me who listen to local music. Apparently, the great majority of folks stream now. Meh. I'm not one of them :)

But it's an interesting concept to think about how it could be implemented. Right now, when playing a local file, the "Alexa" system is only aware of the tags on the song that is active, and has no real knowledge about any other files (I think). My assumption is that there'd need to be someplace in the cloud for a file would live that details all of your music, that Amazon (and Google, and Apple, when they come along) could access to do the voice recognition matching process on. But right now, there's no "cloud data" for Sonos itself. They'd have to set up some servers and rewrite some code in order to do that kind of thing (this is all conjecture on my part....and I'm not a coder myself, just a project and product manager)

Anyway, feel free to poke around the forums. While there's lots of duplication around, you can learn a lot of interesting thing, if you're wiling to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Thanks for your reply with the info about how Alex functions. I am totally new to the voice command world so good to know that my songs are not set up for Alexa control. Wonder when it will be an option to create a data file of your music and upload to the cloud or the Sonos Speaker so Alexa knows what tunes are on your phone? Now that I know the problem I will use the Sonos app when playing music. I guess that is the modern equivalent of having to put the CD into the player--a real hassle (joke) but don't like the idea of a streaming service. Nic to be able to use Alexa at least to control the volume and stop the music. I did do a search in the database about the Alexa issue but didn't find much . Will try again. Thanks
Yea, what I do is set up and play my local (NAS based) playlist using the controller, and then use voice commands to raise and lower volume, skip a song, etc. Pretty much everything except playing a specific song or playlist can be done with voice. Or so it seems to me.

No idea if it's on anyone's immediate 'develop this' list. Based on what I've read in these forums, those of us who use local music files, rather than streaming services are in the minority, and good business sense dictates that you work on updates that will affect the majority. I've gotten used to my method of doing it, so it really isn't a major issue for me at this point, and I'd rather have the resources working on things like Google Assistant, or whatever it is called, in order to make the company Sonos more attractive to new users. I get by on the halo effect..90% of what they have done has positively impacted my experience in some way, and the more folks that buy hardware, the longer the company will continue in business. Sure, I've got my pet issues that I'd love them to work on (TuneIn premium, a better PLAYBAR kind of device), but generally, I'm pretty damn pleased with the way things are going. As long as they keep selling units, the service will continue to get better. Which is all I can ask.

Good luck!