Song playback skips and stops on IOS devices

• 16 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Experiencing the same issue it seems Many others are experiencing. I have a Play 1and songs played from iPhone storage or iPad storage will skip mid song after a few minutes and eventually stop playing. I have tried many suggestions - separated 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, set wireless channel to 1,6,11, and disabled airplay on other devices. The latest suggestion to turn off auto lock is not possible on latest IOS as “never” auto-lock is no longer an option. Please fix this Sonos. I like the hardware but it’s now becoming useless as I’m using my Bose Bluetooth speaker because of this issue. Submitted diagnostic 2031948811.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Experiencing the same issue it seems Many others are experiencing. I have a Play 1and songs played from iPhone storage or iPad storage will skip mid song after a few minutes and eventually stop playing. I have tried many suggestions - separated 2.4 and 5 GHz networks, set wireless channel to 1,6,11, and disabled airplay on other devices. The latest suggestion to turn off auto lock is not possible on latest IOS as “never” auto-lock is no longer an option. Please fix this Sonos. I like the hardware but it’s now becoming useless as I’m using my Bose Bluetooth speaker because of this issue. Submitted diagnostic 2031948811.

Hi scottdorcas,

Welcome to the community. At this time, we're investigating an issue where streaming audio files directly from iOS devices is interrupted when there are non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network. A couple of ways to get iOS streaming working again are to disable AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices on your network, or by disabling auto lock in your iOS settings menu under display and brightness.

You can bypass this issue entirely by offloading your music library to a computer or NAS drive, and setting up a music share. This allows you to play your music library on Sonos, using any controller, even when non-Sonos AIrPlay devices are active and your iOS device goes into auto lock, or offline entirely.
SOLUTION. I was having the problem of songs skipping with my Play 5 and my iPhone 6. I've discovered a decent workaround because who knows how long it will take for Sonos and Apple to work this out. Here's what I did: Don't use the Sonos app on your iPhone or iPad. If it is running, just shut if off. This may work if it is running, but you don't need it. Open the Control Center by sliding your finger from the bottom of the screen and up. Select Music by holding your finger on the Music area (or by pressing on where it says 'Music'). Another control screen will appear. Look for an icon or logo that looks like a pyramid with circles behind it. Press on that and select your Sonos system. Close out the Control Center and go to your Music app. Play your music and enjoy! You can also find the same pyramid icon within the Music App and you can select your Sonos system from there too. Good luck.