Song Not Encoded Correctly

• 26 March 2016
  • 87 replies

Good evening. I've had my Sonos Play:1 for a few weeks now and just started having issues with songs skipping completely. The error log reads 'song not encoded correctly.' I'm not entirely sure what this means, considering all of the other songs on the album play without issue. Is it a connection issue? Like I said, I've only had it for a few weeks, but this is the first time I've had a problem. Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Hello @perosb,

In your most recent diagnostic, your Beam is grouped to your Play: 3. Can you un-group these and test playback on the home-theater system only?

Here with only bean/play1. Note though that I had to connect the cord again to the Play1. 1147317098 1208056871 705042186

@Jean C. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for your patience @perosb and for trying the different configurations with your wired set-up.

Is it possible to keep your Beam wired into your network? To resolve the playback issues it’s important that we don’t have one of the bonded surround Play:1s acting as the first-wired player. In these playback tests, were there any changes in the music service playback?

Getting encoding issues through Amazon services on my Sonos.  Restarted entire system, including routers.  Deleted Amazon from Sonos, then put back on and reauthorized account.  Continue to get encoding issues.  If just listening on Amazon app or through laptop, all is well.  Any help is appreciated!

Diagnostic info: 311128030

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @TC1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community with your diagnostic report.

Are either or your two Sonos Connect:Amps close enough to your primary Google WiFi node to hard-wire with an Ethernet cable?

It looks like your players are struggling to communicate to the network in general and I’d like to see if wiring directly changes anything about the playback behavior on your system. 

If you are unable to wire one of your Connect: Amps for testing purposes, can you provide general information about where these units are located and how far from the router they are situated? Approximate range as well as proximity to other pieces of electronic or audio equipment could help us resolve this issue. Please follow up with a diagnostic report confirmation number from your app if you are able to test Amazon Music with the player connected via Ethernet.       

Hello @TC1,

Are either or your two Sonos Connect:Amps close enough to your primary Google WiFi node to hard-wire with an Ethernet cable?

It looks like your players are struggling to communicate to the network in general and I’d like to see if wiring directly changes anything about the playback behavior on your system. 

If you are unable to wire one of your Connect: Amps for testing purposes, can you provide general information about where these units are located and how far from the router they are situated? Approximate range as well as proximity to other pieces of electronic or audio equipment could help us resolve this issue. Please follow up with a diagnostic report confirmation number from your app if you are able to test Amazon Music with the player connected via Ethernet.       

Thanks for the reply, Jean, and they’re approximately 25’ direct sight to main router, though they are running through a Google Wifi system.  They are too far from the main Google router (as they’re hard-wired through wall to speakers).  I placed one of the Google ports closer and tried a variety of different things by connecting one of the amps through the ethernet port.  Accuradio played the entire time, but Amazon Music never worked.  I also have this close to a tv, and remembered that I have an Amazon Firestick there, so unplugged it, thinking maybe it was causing interference (and the Amazon connection).  Accuradio is currently playing, no problems.  Amazon, still nothing.

Variety of diagnostic codes ran through this series, most recent first:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

TC

Hi @RyanP73,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thak you for reaching out about this issue.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your app so that we can evaluate your Sonos system for interference?

If you post the confirmation number I will be more than happy to look it over for you. 

Hi Jean. 

Here is my diagnostic number: 2119384964

thanks!

Ryan

Hello @TC1,

Any thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I’m working on it @TC1, I just got here. :) 

I’m working on it @TC1, I just got here. :) 

You got it, and I apologize for pushing!  I hope you’re well and safe...

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Ok, @TC1,

I am safe and well and thank you for your concern. I hope you are safe also.    

I’ve really been going over your reports with a fine tooth comb and I’m seeing some unusual error coding in your system. 

I’ll more than likely be pulling some colleagues in (remotely, don’t worry about us!) to work out what’s going on, so please be patient as I(we) look this over.

it’s unfortunate that you only have Connect:Amps in your system since they tend to be wired to other things and not very portable.

Ideally I would like to wire something to the main to see if it behaves differently and it’s odd that it’s just Amazon Music doing this. 

Does anyone else in your home have an Amazon account that can be tested to rule out account specific playback issues? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @RyanP73

I’m going to ask you some of the same questions that I’ve asked others.

How far is your Beam from your Primary Google router and is your Beam close by anything that can cause structural or wireless interference?

If we can eliminate interference as a factor we can then attribute this to the known playback issue that we are currently working on resolving. 

Ok, @TC1,

I am safe and well and thank you for your concern. I hope you are safe also.    

I’ve really been going over your reports with a fine tooth comb and I’m seeing some unusual error coding in your system. 

I’ll more than likely be pulling some colleagues in (remotely, don’t worry about us!) to work out what’s going on, so please be patient as I(we) look this over.

it’s unfortunate that you only have Connect:Amps in your system since they tend to be wired to other things and not very portable.

Ideally I would like to wire something to the main to see if it behaves differently and it’s odd that it’s just Amazon Music doing this. 

Does anyone else in your home have an Amazon account that can be tested to rule out account specific playback issues? 

Thanks, and my wife has the Amazon Music app.  Works fine on her phone, which runs off of same wifi.  Just turned on Sonos with Amazon and all working now, so if your team did something, awesome!  If not...well, we’ll see how it goes!  I replugged the Amazon Fire Stick into our tv, but I don’t see what would have changed as Amazon wasn’t working when it was unplugged or plugged in prior.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @TC1,

I’m glad its working again! 

I can’t take credit for the fix, sometimes a good round of turning it all off and turning it back on again does the trick. 

Please respond in this post if it goes sideways again and I’ll be happy continue looking into this!

Thank you for your patience @perosb and for trying the different configurations with your wired set-up.

Is it possible to keep your Beam wired into your network? To resolve the playback issues it’s important that we don’t have one of the bonded surround Play:1s acting as the first-wired player. In these playback tests, were there any changes in the music service playback?

Still happening @Jean C. .

1968691738 210745265 445259253

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @perosb,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for getting your system into the ideal set up for testing. 

It does look like the skipping issue you have been experiencing matches the issue that we are now working on based on the data you have now sent us.. 

Please keep an eye and an ear out here for updates regarding this problem. 

I would like to double check that this playback skipping is only happening when you are using YouTube Music and that everything else behaves itself, correct? 

Hello @perosb,

I hope you are doing well and thank you for getting your system into the ideal set up for testing. 

It does look like the skipping issue you have been experiencing matches the issue that we are now working on based on the data you have now sent us.. 

Please keep an eye and an ear out here for updates regarding this problem. 

I would like to double check that this playback skipping is only happening when you are using YouTube Music and that everything else behaves itself, correct? 

Sounds great @Jean C. !

Yes, I’ve been playing Google Play Music all night instead without a glitch. (without sonosnet/wired)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for confirming that for me, @perosb . 

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions, concerns or just to bounce ideas around. 

I hope we have this sorted out soon!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am getting the same error -- usually when I open a playlist. Most songs are skipped with the encoding error, but I am able to re-add the songs to the playlist and get them to work. Sucks not really being able to use playlists. I have to keep rebuilding them. Confirmation # 276450952

I have the same issue, but only with YouTube Music. All other services run without issues (Google Play Music, TuneIn Radio, PocketCasts).
Confirmation # 1516656112

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Aaron B. Binkley 

Thank you for reaching out to us with your diagnostic report. I’ve taken a look at it and I have a couple of thoughts on how you can optimize your system performance.

First, it looks like your Netgear router is using WiFi channel 3 which overlaps with several other channels in use. 

Manually changing this channel to 6 should help improve connectivity, if you have a Netgear Orbi Mesh system, you may want to change the channels on all of your nodes to match. Building queues and playlists as well starting and maintaining playback withing a Sonos system relies entirely on connection between the individual players themselves as well as to the router directly. 

Second, its usually best to run Sonos systems as large as yours on what we call “Sonosnet”. If you wire one of your Sonos products directly to your main router, it will begin broadcasting it’s own mesh network that you can then manage directly through the Sonos app. You can change this channel to be separate from your home network to reduce interference.  

Please let us know if your playback behavior improves or stays the same. If you include a diagnostic number in your reply I will be happy to look it over.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have changed my wireless netword to 6, and I changed the SONOS network to 1 and also 11, but I still have the same problem.

New diagnostic # 1303969609

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @quadrrem,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and than you for reaching out to us here with your diagnostic report. 

I can appreciate that this seems to be only happening with one service but can you tell me if you have run a speed test on your Google WiFi network recently?

Is your primary Google node wired directly to your ISP provided router/modem or is there a switch in between the two or anything else acting as a pass-through?  

I’m seeing bandwidth flags and I would like be be able to rule out other potential causes before attributing this to a known issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Aaron B. Binkley,

Thank you for the follow up diagnostic report from your system. 

Can you confirm that this is happening on YouTube Music playlists or are you using Sonos favorites or playlists in another service and getting these errors?

@Jean C. 

Thanks for your quick response.

The speed test I did earlier today resulted in 95 Mbit/s. And yes my primary Google Wifi node is wired directly to the router.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

These are Sonos playlists, with songs from Amazon, Spotify, and my local library. It happens with all sources. The playlist works when I create it, and then songs stop working (usually within a couple of days). 

Though I cannot play the songs, I am able to view their Info such as Album Info, Artist Info, etc.