Answered

Sonance in-ceilings w/ Connect suddenly stopped working

• 24 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have a full home Sonance in-ceiling setup. 4 zones each using 1 Connect each. Recently one of those zones stopped functioning properly.

The zone has 2 in-ceiling speakers. Max volume has always been limited to 85% so don’t see how it would be a “blown speaker” issue.

When I turn the volume all the way up (so 100% of 85%) I can hear music playing very softly on both, almost like it’s at 2% volume.

Every other zone is working fine. I disconnected/reconnected the power and outputs from the Connect but that didn’t solve anything.

Not sure what to try next. Obviously with the system/speakers being in-ceiling its not going to be easy to follow wire terminations, so hoping it wouldn’t be that.

icon

Best answer by MrClifford 28 September 2022, 21:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Try swapping out the Connect to see if it is a Sonos problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Connect should probably be Connect:amp? Or am I missing the mention of an amplifier?

Badge

Connect should probably be Connect:amp? Or am I missing the mention of an amplifier?

Yes sorry I have a separate amp. All speakers have worked for 2.5 years no issues with the setup the way it is using the 4 Connects

Badge

Try swapping out the Connect to see if it is a Sonos problem.

I’ll try this - I’ll swap 2 of the Connects around and see if it’s the Connect.

If not… any other thoughts?

EDIT - Just swapped a different one in, and the speakers are back to working like normal, albeit under the wrong room/zone name. So it seems it was the Connect… so with that known, is there a known fix for the issue I had? It also was making a loud cackling while playing music before (when it wasnt playing soft)

EDIT 2 - I did a full reset (plug in while holding volume + pause) and connected it again, and same issue as before… so something is wrong with it. Ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The most costly option is to replace it with its successor, the Port. You could also buy a second hand Connect.

Not sure if you use the S1 or S2 app for your Connects, but older Connects are S1 only. So if you are on S2 do not buy one of those.

Badge

Ok so I may have fixed the issue.

Weirdly I tried the speakers the other day and they worked fine… but then soon after they went back to giving the same issue.

So I got a digital to analog converter on Amazon for $15 (a solution i found elsewhere on here) and now with that connected to the Connect, the speakers are playing normal.