Answered

Some problems with the update 14.6 and Spotify

Hi,
I am encountering many problems since the last update 14.6. I use the Spotify service (Android + IOS) with the Sonos S2 app and since the 14.6 update the music cuts itself after a while. I also have trouble listening to music in several rooms and my Sonos ONE SL speakers disconnect themselves. I have to reboot them to reconnect them again. Do some of you have these kinds of problems? I hope that the next update will correct these concerns that are extremely disabling in the use of my SONOS system.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 20 May 2022, 11:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos devices all restart after an update. Some router cannot handle this. You could try to restart your router and after that the Sonos devices (one by one).

Thank you for your answer @106rallye,
however I have already restarted my router, I have even reinstalled my entire SONOS system by putting my equipment back in factory configuration... Nothing there does the problems are still there and that, I repeat, since the last update 14.6..

Badge

Hi,
I am encountering many problems since the last update 14.6. I use the Spotify service (Android + IOS) with the Sonos S2 app and since the 14.6 update the music cuts itself after a while. I also have trouble listening to music in several rooms and my Sonos ONE SL speakers disconnect themselves. I have to reboot them to reconnect them again. Do some of you have these kinds of problems? I hope that the next update will correct these concerns that are extremely disabling in the use of my SONOS system.

Hi, i would like to add to this Problem.

For me it seems to be a spotify only problem. Other services work fine for hours, so its definitely not a network issue. Only spotify cuts out after a few minutes in a playlist.

Could certainly be an issue with Spotify’s servers, what did Sonos say when you submitted a diagnostic after experiencing the issue, and contacted them?

Hi Airgetlam,
I contacted SONOS support and sent a diagnostic. However it is difficult to reproduce the problem since it happens after a certain random time... The SONOS support sees many disconnections from my SONOS ONE SL but has not provided me with any answer regarding the problems with Spotify. I want to point out that these cuts only happen when I go through the SONOS S2 app, in direct connection to my speakers from Spotify I have no worries, which proves that this comes from the Sonos app.

Understood. Which continues, at least in my mind, to put the issue on Spotify, since they have told Sonos to reach out to a different set of servers than the ones they use for other apps, such as the one on your phone. 

I was hopeful that the bugs in the SONOS app will be fixed with the latest 14.6.1 update, but unfortunately that’s not the case... When playing titles on SPotify via the SONOS app the connection is always lost with this message "unable to read "title name" the connection with Spotify has been lost"... In short, I am demoralized because everything worked very well before, so why do you guys at SONOS do these updates?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The app is just a remote for the system. A bug in the Sonos app would not compromise your ability to enjoy Spotify. A bug in the system software would, but then we would see much more complaints after the update.

If Spotify does not work well on Sonos, it could still be a Spotify problem as it is Spotify that provides the service through the Sonos API.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Joninho 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I stole a quick look at a diagnostic of yours from last month.

Your wired Beam is having trouble communicating with the speaker in charge of the other room. From what I can see, this is most likely from a combination of SonosNet using the same channel (6) as what I presume is your neighbour’s WiFi, and perhaps the Beam being too close to your router.

Please move SonosNet onto channel 1 - Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel » 1. Please make sure all speakers are online in the app before taking this step.

Please also move your router so it is at least 1m away from your Beam (I’m presuming that's more practical than moving your Beam).

I hope this helps - if it doesn’t, please test for at least 20 minutes after making the changes, then submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number given. Thanks.

Nothing is done, despite the update of the SONOS app in 14.8.1 the listening problems with Spotify persist. After about 40 minutes of listening, the sound is cut on all the speakers, while the playback continues on the app (time of the title that scrolls). In order to recover the sound on the speakers I have to delete the listening pieces and put them back... I want to be clear that I don’t encounter these issues when I listen to a Sonos radio or connect to speakers directly via Spotify without going through the SONOS app. Moreover, the problem is the same on Android (smartphone) and IOS (Ipad). In view of the comments on the Playstore about the SONOS S2 app I am far from being the only one to encounter problems of connection of the speakers… At the cost of SONOS equipment, it would be interesting to have an app that works properly, wouldn’t it?

Nothing is done, despite the update of the SONOS app in 14.8.1 the listening problems with Spotify persist. After about 40 minutes of listening, the sound is cut on all the speakers, while the playback continues on the app (time of the title that scrolls). In order to recover the sound on the speakers I have to delete the listening pieces and put them back... I want to be clear that I don’t encounter these issues when I listen to a Sonos radio or connect to speakers directly via Spotify without going through the SONOS app. Moreover, the problem is the same on Android (smartphone) and IOS (Ipad). In view of the comments on the Playstore about the SONOS S2 app I am far from being the only one to encounter problems of connection of the speakers… At the cost of SONOS equipment, it would be interesting to have an app that works properly, wouldn’t it?

The solution the Staff provided wasn’t about you updating the firmware/software. It was recommended you change SonosNet and WiFi channels so there was no overlap using the suggested fixed channels (also avoiding any neighbouring signals). I would also go one step further and ensure the channel-width on the routers 2.4Ghz band is set to 20Mhz only (if your router allows).

An update is unlikely the thing that will resolve your issue. I have been playing Spotify this morning for many hours here and not see a single issue, so it’s not the software. It’s more-likely the local environment. I would perhaps just make the adjustments suggested.

Thank you for your answer. I applied the advice of the Staff, I modified the WiFi channel of my router (by analyzing the channels used by my neighbors), I modified the SonosNet channel (different from the WiFi channel of my router), I disconnected all my SONOS equipment, I restarted my router and reconnected each piece of equipment one by one. However the problems persist and this comes from the SONOS application since these problems do not exist in Airplay 2 or SPotify connect... Moreover, I have never encountered any problems before (I have had my SONOS products for 6 months) while my WiFi installation has not been modified or even the location of my SONOS equipment... It would be good for the engineers at SONOS to do a redesign of the SONOS application so that it is more stable and has fewer bugs... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Joninho 

To be clear, the Sonos app cannot be responsible for interrupted playback on a speaker - the app is simply a remote, and the speaker would play (when working) even with the app-running device turned off. What it can influence, as has been mentioned above, is which exact server is accessed by the speaker (as compared to Spotify Connect), and this may affect the bitrate of the accessed stream.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports at each step of the troubleshooting process.

I hope this helps.

Badge +1

@Joninho Did you ever get your Spotify working again? Lately I have had a problem with my Sonos Ones and Spotify. No matter what I do I cannot ask Alexa to play music (Or any variation of play music from Spotify). It just says you need to enable the skill. 

@Joninho Did you ever get your Spotify working again? Lately I have had a problem with my Sonos Ones and Spotify. No matter what I do I cannot ask Alexa to play music (Or any variation of play music from Spotify). It just says you need to enable the skill. 

I assume you have installed the Spotify service in the Sonos App, but have you removed/re-enabled the Sonos skill and set the Spotify service as the default music service in the Alexa App?… and also if using any echo devices, have you set those to ‘enable’ an Alexa group that holds your Sonos speaker(s)?