Question

Some of your Sonos products need to be updated

• 22 November 2015
  • 13 replies

The above message is showing in my Sonos home screen, however I have already updated everything. When I click on "Check for Updates..." it says "No update required. Your Sonos system is up to date. No updates are required."

Anyone know how to fix this so I can use my Sonos again? I'm not able to use it right now because it says updates are needed (even though they are not).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Which controller are you using?
hi. I am having the same issue. I already updated my controller (phone, ipad, etc). now I am trying to use the SONOS directly on my computer, where I see the mentioned message and won't let me enter the system...
were you able to solve this issue?
thks
Go into Settings and then About My Sonos System. Are all components at the same software version?
Are you in the Beta program?
At some point it may just be simplest to uninstall the computer controller and reinstall it from the Sonos website (make sure you choose to "add to existing system" not "set up new system").
Badge
I could check your software on your system. Just create a diagnostic on your system. Please provide the seven digit number.

How to create a diagnostic: FAQ
I have the same issue on mac os x. I have submitted a diagnostic, 5240582.

my ipad and iphone controllers work fine.
Having the same issue. Trying to install a 4th speaker and had to install sonos software update. After software installed, it continues to ask me to update software. when I click "next" it says all systems are up to date. Diagnostic number is 5297956
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I can see from your diagnostics that you are both running Mac OSX 10.6.8. Apple no longer supports this operating system. As a result, we can no longer develop software for these devices. You may be able to get a paid upgrade from Apple. I would suggest contacting them to explore this as a possibility.
I'm having the same problem. I can no longer use Sonos on my MacBook Pro Laptop which uses Mac OSX 10.6.8. How can this be Apple's fault if until recently the Sonos system worked fine on Mac OSX 10.6.8? I bought my Sonos speaker on the basis that it would work with my laptop and now it no longer works. The Sonos software used to work with with this operating system. Why does it no longer work? Sonos should be trying to find a solution. I don't claim to be computer literate and it may be an insurmountable problem, but it does not seem to be enough to say simply that it's Apple's fault. Sonos should be trying to resolve the problem at its end for customers. I'm very disappointed to have bought this product less than a year ago and now find that it's obsolete unless I go out and buy a new laptop. You guys need to do much more if you want to preserve the goodwill you have built up in your brand. Your products are not going to sell if it becomes apparent that they are only compatible with the latest computers.
Will C,

zI don't know all of the specifics of the SONOS code, but APPLE has a habit of forcing developers to use the latest developer platform -- else the App will not be offered in the App store. Also, some of the latest features that APPLE users demand are not available on the older systems. This creates dilemmas for everyone. Developers must update or die and, as you have found, consumers can get locked out.
I am experiencing the same problem also. I recently bought a new Play 1 to accompany my Play 3 and am unable to use to it. From reading the accounts above, it appears it's because I have a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and am now unable to use Sonos on my MacBook Pro laptop. The controller version I have on my mac is 5.3.2 and my Play 3 and 1 are version 6.

It is definitely not good enough just to say that its Apple's fault and we need to pick the issue up with them. I bought the product from you Sonos, on a system that already worked and had no reason to doubt whether it would carry on working. I have been a big fan of yours and have encouraged a number of my friends to switch to your system, however I just find this unacceptable. I believe you have to try harder to keep your customers and for us to not become unintended collateral of a corporate fall out, and that we have to pay the price, literally the cost of new products that are obsolete. I have saved so that I could build my speakers in different rooms over time, which is then illogical if I need to also buy a new laptop every time I want to add to your system.

I really hope you can help further in order to resolve this issue. My diagnostic number is 5325222.

Many thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I am experiencing the same problem also. I recently bought a new Play 1 to accompany my Play 3 and am unable to use to it. From reading the accounts above, it appears it's because I have a Mac OSX 10.6.8 and am now unable to use Sonos on my MacBook Pro laptop. The controller version I have on my mac is 5.3.2 and my Play 3 and 1 are version 6.

It is definitely not good enough just to say that its Apple's fault and we need to pick the issue up with them. I bought the product from you Sonos, on a system that already worked and had no reason to doubt whether it would carry on working. I have been a big fan of yours and have encouraged a number of my friends to switch to your system, however I just find this unacceptable. I believe you have to try harder to keep your customers and for us to not become unintended collateral of a corporate fall out, and that we have to pay the price, literally the cost of new products that are obsolete. I have saved so that I could build my speakers in different rooms over time, which is then illogical if I need to also buy a new laptop every time I want to add to your system.

I really hope you can help further in order to resolve this issue. My diagnostic number is 5325222.

Many thanks.

Have you been in contact with us before about this? It can be frustrating if the Mac is the only controller you have, as it needs to be on OS X 10.7 to run the latest version of Sonos. If you're unable to update your Mac, and it's the only controller you have, please call our support to explore what other options there are.
I have same problem, diagnostic #7577639
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hello BC boy, it looks like your Mac application is out of date, at least at the time of taking that diagnostic. Have you updated the software on your Mac?