Question

Some music files not showing in app

• 26 November 2016
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I set up a brand new WD My cloud NAS which is connected to my router using a cable, as I could'nt stream off my PC. I can see that all of the files have been copied across in an identical file structure as far as I can see, but several albums are not showing in my Sonos music library. I've tried recopying a couple, and updating the music library in the PC controller menu, but they're still missing. It appears to be random; some artists have all the albums, just a few that don't....

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonos limits the amount of characters allotted for each field of the metadata. This is due to memory allocations for the 65,000 track limit. It's easy to exceed these limits which quickly fills up the alloted space.
Exceeding the filename (i.e. Full file path) limits will not display the tracks

Field name
Max Characters
Artists
Album
Track
Genre
File name

You can also get a list of the index, including artist, album, track, path, etc., by browsing to the following:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1400/status/tracks

Import to a spreadsheet and you can sort by any tag you wish. This will help you find and eliminate oversized paths or tags.. Xxx.xxx etc is the ip adress of a speaker to be found at the bottom of settings, About My Sonos System.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK, but they all showed up when the files were stored on the pc.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Bit thanks, I will try it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
OK, but they all showed up when the files were stored on the pc.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Damn phone edit. I've tried reducing the string lengths of the culprit albums, no change. I also tried deleting all of the windows folders that were added (many albums didn't have anything other than the FLAC files in the album folder, some have lots of additional files). So, I'm still missing several albums which is more than mildly annoying.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Still no joy. Anyone have any other suggestions that I could try?
Still no joy. Anyone have any other suggestions that I could try?

Did you try the suggestion to get a list of the index, including artist, album, track, path, etc., by browsing to the following?

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1400/status/tracks

If the tracks are not listed here, then they are either not getting copied correctly, or they are hitting an error in indexing, at which point you need to contact Sonos support after submitting a diagnostic within 10 minutes of re indexing.. If the tracks are in the listing but are not being displayed, then the tracks have something wrong in the tags, which will be obvious from the listing.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Yes I tried that, though not entirely sure what I was looking at.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Yes I tried that, though not entirely sure what I was looking at. Wasn't straightforward in exporting the data into Excel.
Yes I tried that, though not entirely sure what I was looking at. Wasn't straightforward in exporting the data into Excel.

No need to import to Excell if you have trouble doing it. Use the browser search function (ALT-F) and search for anything missing. You can do Artist, Album, Track name, and/or pathname. If the track is there, then it is being added, but some of the tags are missing. Check the entire entry to see what tags are not there. If the track is not present, then there was a problem during indexing, and Sonos will need a diagnostic.

In addition, you may want to do the following. This time, type in:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1400/status/tracks_summary

You will get something like the following:

Title
MAX 65000
COUNT 8989
Store Size 3604480
Store Used 2912699
Entries Size 262144
Entries Used 21750
Conflicts 1338

If COUNT is equal to MAX, or Store Used is very close to Store Size, then you are at the limit. Let us know the results and we can advise from there.