Question

[SOLVED] Sonos can't connect to Alexa or Google Home, but only on wifi.

• 26 June 2020
  • 1 reply

tl;dr: This is a known issue with Netgear Orbi routers running older firmware. An upgrade to firmware version 2.5.1.x appears to fix the issue.

I’ve been having an issue pretty consistently where my Sonos One almost never responds to Alexa commands. I say “Alexa”, it responds with a chime, I say a command, and then it says, “Sorry, I’m having trouble understanding right now.”

A few more details:

• If I connect the Sonos via Ethernet, it works fine. It only fails to respond when using wifi.
  • The Sonos is connected via wifi. It can stream music and I can communicate with it using both desktop and mobile apps. It’s only when trying to connect with 3rd parties (see below) that it doesn’t work.
  • It shows up as Offline in Alexa, and if I remove it from Alexa, I can’t reconnect or discover it unless I connect in wired mode.
  • The same is true of Google Home, Spotify, and Pandora -- none of those will link to my Sonos app unless I’m wired. Once I connected Pandora and Spotify, they play through the app fine.
  • I’ve tried reinstalling the app, rediscovering the device, factory resetting the device -- it always has the same issue, where everything works fine on Ethernet, and only the app works on wifi.

Today I spent a couple hours troubleshooting it (with the help of a fantastic CSR named Jason -- thanks Jason!) and wanted to share the solution in the hopes it might help someone else.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @mischiefmaker.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I’m glad everything worked out and we apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for sharing what have resolved your concern for other members of the community to reference into once they have thesame issue as what you had.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out our members in the community.

Thanks,