Answered

Solid orange light

• 16 April 2017
  • 25 replies

My play 5 will not pair. It will flash green but when I try and pair it the light goes to orange and it will not pair.

If overheating it is not due to conditions and it has never overheated before. Sits on an open table temp controlled room.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 12 June 2019, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Bring it over to your router & hard-wire it in with an ethernet cable. Plug it in and see if you're all set now. Why do you think overheating now??? Is it warm to the touch? Do you play it very loud?
I'm having the same issue.

Used to work fine then today was showing an white light but no longer visible on the system.

Reset it and now when I try to add it light will go to a solid orange when pairing fails.

It's not hot and never played loud.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hey irpq11 and Guernseyman - I'll be happy to help. A solid orange LED doesn't always indicate the player is a state of overheating. In this case, it just means the player failed at making a connection to the device with the Sonos app. To help with next steps I want to gather a little more information about your setup. Can you please let me know the following:

1) The make and model of the router you are using (If you have any repeaters or wireless access points, include those as well)
2) What device you are using to setup your system- iPhone, Android, etc.
3) Are there any other Sonos players at your location or just the PLAY:5
Same issue here.

Router - Archer C7
App - same result on both iOS Andy droid
Other players - play 5 gen 2, play 1, play base, sub
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Same issue here.

Router - Archer C7
App - same result on both iOS Andy droid
Other players - play 5 gen 2, play 1, play base, sub

Thanks, can you wire the PLAY:5 directly to the Archer C7 and then go through the setup process once again?

If you're still having an issue adding the PLAY:5 even when it's wired the router may not be passing all network traffic correctly. In this case, give the router a reboot, and when it's back online, go through the setup process once again.
Set the play 5 to factory defaults per instructions and ran setup connected directly to the router. Worked fine when hard wired. Will not connect to wireless. Range is not an issue as the problem speaker is in the same location as the working one. I exchanged for another play 5 and this one setup over wireless flawlessly. Suspect hardware issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Set the play 5 to factory defaults per instructions and ran setup connected directly to the router. Worked fine when hard wired. Will not connect to wireless. Range is not an issue as the problem speaker is in the same location as the working one. I exchanged for another play 5 and this one setup over wireless flawlessly. Suspect hardware issue.

Understood - thanks for the update. Don't hesitate to reach back out here if you need any further assistance.
Guys I'm sorry I forgot to update. I called Sonos and they had me send them a data report from the system and discovered that the WiFi card is defective. Had to send the speaker back and have a new one sent under warranty.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Guys I'm sorry I forgot to update. I called Sonos and they had me send them a data report from the system and discovered that the WiFi card is defective. Had to send the speaker back and have a new one sent under warranty.

Thanks for the update, irpq11. Hardware failure of this kind is not common, but it can happen. I'm glad to hear we were able to get you back up and enjoying your music again.
Hi,

I have the same issue (I think) Play 5 Gen 1, stopped working and I got the solid orange light, checking online led me to overheating etc. That wasn't the problem though.

Anyway have now reset and it works if hardwired to router or a Play 3, (assume other Play 1s etc but haven't tried).

What now, assuming as a Gen 1 it is probably out of warranty?

Any help appreciated
Badge
I had this issue a month ago with a Gen 2 Play 5. Solid amber light after factory reset and attempting to connect wirelessly. Connecting via ethernet is fine. Ran diagnostics and sent to Sonos support. They said it was a hardware issue and I returned the unit. I received a new unit, connected fine wirelessly. Now, after about a month, same thing just happened with the new Play 5. I find it odd that it's happened twice within a month to a Play 5 in the same location. My setup includes two Play 5's, one Play 1 and a Connect.

All the speakers are wall mounted in a big, open gym and there is no way the unit is overheating. My Wi-Fi network is a new Eero mesh setup with 3 base stations.

I'm going to call support and run the same diagnostic. Stay tuned...
Exact same issue here. Play 5 was working fine, then stopped connecting. Fine through Ethernet. Factory reset, now get solid orange light when trying to connect again. Ethernet connection fine. Sounds like sonos have a hardware problem.
I am having the same issue described above. I have three Play 1s, all have been working for about two years. However now one of the Play 1s stopped playing. I followed the instructions above - factory reset, directly plugged into router etc. Nothing worked. My other two are still working fine. Overheating is not the issue as the device is inside out of sunlight as the others are fine.

Here is what happens when I reset - get white blinking light then let go of play/pause button - get a white/orange blinking light, then goes to green blinking. When I press play button again, I get a tone then goes to orange blink for about 30 seconds then to solid orange. I have tried this over the past month and get the same results each time. Very frustrating as I love the speakers but getting feed up. I did submit a diagnostics 7932335 today. Any guidance or direction please. I was getting ready to invest in more Sonos but now having second thoughts. Any suggestions or guidance?
Here is the reply I got - looks like they have a wireless card issue. Swapped it out at the store without a problem.

SWY

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care.

I have had a look at the diagnostic you sent. It look like there is a hardware issue with the wireless card in the PLAY:5. If this was bought in the last year, you have two options. First is to take it to the retailer you purchased it from and they can swap it out. The second option is for us to arrange the replacement which takes about 7 days. If it was purchased over a year ago, we would need to do the replacement. If you choose to take to the retailer, you should only need to show them this email. If you choose to replace it through us, just reply to this email and we will start the process.
SWY - are you responding to my post as a Sonos representative or just as an FYI to me? Hoping to get an official response from Sonos. Thx
Just an FYI. Contact them directly - they responded really quick to me.
My Play 1 is exactly the same - solid orange lights then changes to flashing orange light. I have tried re-booting my router, unplugging sonos unit and still no connection. It’s highly frustrating. Any help appreciated
Badge
I see this thread is only a month old hopefully I can get some answers to the exact same problem as the poster. Play 5 Gen 2.
I have the Exact
same issue and opened another thread after not finding the answer
Did you read this thread?
I did read this thread to believe that I either have a bad card or need to start over fro scratch. Tonight I am going to remove ALL the Sonos devices and start from scratch. This TOTALLY sucks with the amount of customizations I have done.
Same problem with my Play 3s. I'll add that I've had this problem since day one, about 7 years ago. Everytime Sonos does an update, my whole system is lost and unsinkable. I'll try and try every possible option, reset router, speakers, hardwire, etc. and nothing seems to work. Eventually, I'll just walk off in a huff and curse these damn expensive poc's. Then I'll come back to it later, try again, and they will connect just fine. Sometime I can get two to work, or three, or one. But lately, they are just useless. Not worth the cost. I'd rather have normal Bluetooth speakers to connect to. Sorry for the rant, but in addition to the money I've spent on these things, I'd say I've given them about 72 hours of my life just fussing about to no avail.
Homeness, your experience is consonant with the duplicate IP address issue, which is frequently exposed after a Sonos software update, which causes each Sonos device to do a soft reboot, and request a new IP address from your router.

This is relatively easy to fix. The short term fix is to unplug all of your Sonos devices. Then, while they are unplugged, reboot your router. Then plug back in the first Sonos device. If you have one that's wired to the router with an ethernet cable, plug that one in first, if not, just pick the Sonos device that's physically closest to the router. Once that device is booted up (give it at least a minute), move on to the next device, and plug that in. Repeat this plug in, wait for reboot process for as many Sonos devices as you have.

Of course, there's another way to deal with this. Go in to your router and assign static/reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices. Then you won't end up in this situation again. Requires a little skull sweat, but ultimately is easy, and sets you free of the potential for re-occurrence.
I thought it might be an IP issue that was resolving after an indefinite amount of time. Still, seems like it shouldn't happen for this price. It should just work. And of course I can assign static IP's, but that's another thing customers just shouldn't have to do. It would be made marginally better if the troubleshooting steps Sonos offers by default actually worked, but they never do. Why can't they say what you've said here? Why don't they just tell it like it is and what we need to do to fix it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you are looking for information as to what causes a Solid Orange light to appear on your Sonos devices, there are a number of things that could be going on. The first thing to do would be to review this article here, which talks about what the different coloured lights on Sonos products mean. Though that article states that the device may be overheating, it may also just be that it is struggling to connect. This might be due to the device not being able to get an update, or just a general connectivity problem.

Try wiring it into your router via Ethernet. Does that then work? Check for updates and run them if necessary. Update or no update, then try unplugging the Ethernet cable (without unplugging the speaker from power).

Does it drop off the system again after you do this, or does it not connect at all via cable? At this stage it would be wise to contact our care agents via telephone.