Small audio dropouts

Badge +1
I'm having a very specific, odd problem I need some help troubleshooting.

I have two identical home theater setups in my house. Each system has a LG OLED55C8PUA, the 55" 2018 model. Each TV is connected to a Sonos Playbar via optical cable. Each Playbar has a Sub and two Play:5 units as surround.

The first system works great. Dolby Digital sounds great, all inputs work great. The second system has moments where the sound will drop out for just a brief moment, and then recover. The Apple TV does it, the TiVo does it... so it doesn't seem to matter which input source is the problem.

As far as I can tell from testing, this problem is when the signal is Dolby Digital 5.1. If the signal is PCM, there is no sound drop. I have replaced the optical cable, to ensure it's new, and the problem is still there.

Yes, I've updated the Sonos, and the TV's firmware is updated. I believe all the settings are right on both -- and duplicated across the two.

What can I do to test further and narrow this down?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Badge +1
Done. The sound dropped out a bit prior to this diagnostic.

System is "Living Room" that causes the problem.

Badge +1
Ok, swap done, testing beginning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, DJDave. That number doesn't correspond with a diagnostic report. There may be a typo. Can you please try that again for us?
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
At the time of this diagnostic report, it seems the Living Room was receiving a normal 5.1 Dolby Digital signal. What room was giving the problem?

Since you've already replaced the optical cable, the only other thing I could think is to determine if it's the speaker that is the problem or the environment. This can be done by swapping the Playbars. While I understand this may not be necessarily easy, if the problem moves with the Playbar then we know it's likely to be something wrong with the speaker.
Badge +1
Before I do big switching around, let's check two more diagnostics taken tonight within about 10 seconds of some of the distortions.

Check 992934800 and 1245004246. Let's see if they look different on the signal front.

Thanks!
Badge +1
And yes, the problem room is "Living Room"
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks, DJDave. Both show a Dobly Digital 5.1 signal but I am seeing a couple errors regarding sync across both diagnostic reports. These errors seem to only exist on the Living Room setup and not on the Bar. My next step would be to swap the bars and see what happens.

Alternatively, it might be a good idea to give our support technicians a call so they can have a closer look in real time and get this sorted together with you.
Badge +1
Oddly, both soundbars appear to be good now. It's a good outcome, but doesn't make much sense. If I resubmit diagnostics, is it worth seeing if those sync errors are gone?
Badge +1
After a couple of days of no problems, the problem is back... on the Living Room. Can you check diagnostic 2099458899 ?