Answered

Slow WIFI

• 4 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

Really need some help here. I’ve recently bought more Sonos products and noticed significantly slower wifi speeds. I pay for 1Gb speeds, I had a Netgear Nighthawk router, thought it was the problem, swapped over to a Eero Pro system with 2 beacons (boosters) in my house. Should be getting amazing speeds, but in many places I’m only getting double digit speeds even in rooms next to the router. I started eliminating devices and found that Sonos was at least a big part of what’s slowing my speeds down. I have a lot of devices, 5.1 system with play 5s in the living room, another 5.1 system in the basement with play 1s, and 5 scattered sonos one/play 1s around the house. I love the Sonos system but I can’t have it killing my WIFI speeds to the point where streaming services are constanly buffering and web meetings lag and drop the connection. I had a lead tech from my internet service provider come by and said that I have to many wireless networks in my home that is interfering with my router, that’s causing the slow speeds. What can I do?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 April 2020, 19:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Are you running Sonosnet (one of your sonos units hooked to router with its own wifi) or are you running wifi only with no sonos units hooked to your router?

I’m thinking you should go to 5ghz only on your router (turn off the 2.4ghz) and then run sonosnet on the 2.4ghz band and keep all sonos traffic off your router.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response, I’m not using Sonosnet, never have. I was thinking of buying a bunch of cables and wiring everything that’s near my router, probably around 5 Sonos devices. Do you think that would help? The Eero pro router is a mesh system, so it has a 2.4 and 5 but doesn’t show either of them, the system just automatically decides for you. Unless I hook up my Netgear Nighthawk router then I’d have that option. 

nick_781,

The likely issue on the earlier nighthawk router was probably ‘Airtime Fairness’ but that’s by the bye now.

As you have switched to a mesh-based eero wireless setup I would suggest moving your Sonos devices over to their SonosNet connection. So perhaps cable one sonos device only to the main/primary eero hub and do the following…

• Set your SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your eero 2.4ghz WiFi channel to prevent signal overlap. Always fix the eero channels, rather than allowing the system to auto-select them on startup and try to avoid channels in use by your neighbours.
  • Ensure your WiFi credentials are NOT stored in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup” (They are not required when running a system on SonosNet).
  • Add all your Sonos IP addresses to your local DHCP Reservation Table. This is optional, but highly recommended.
  • Make sure that your Sonos devices are at least 3 feet away from any other wireless devices, including the main router and eero hubs.
  • Where practicable, connect any other non-Sonos devices to the separately named 5ghz Eero Wifi band. 
  • Switch off any guest WiFi radios when they are not in use/required.
  • If using ‘other’ WiFi access points, or repeaters, with the same SSID as the main eero network, then ensure they all operate on the same 'fixed' WiFi channels.

This Sonos Support document is Perhaps also worth keeping in mind... 

Hope those few things assist and prove to be useful.

Thanks Ken, I’ll give that a shot and see what it does to the speeds. Does putting one of the Sonos devices, like the Playbar on tho SonosNet allow the rest to run off that same network or what exactly does hooking just one of them up wired do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just hook one up to your router then all the others will feed off of the sonosnet created by that one unit.   All the speakers will then talk to each other and all the traffic will filter back to the one hooked to router - therefore no sonos traffic is on your home wifi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Get it working with just one component wired and once you are happy then wire as many others as is easy. I did that here and it lowered my WiFi usage some and gave the SonosNet mesh additional connection options which seems to have reduced glitches.