Answered

Slight drop sound HBO MAX

• 22 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hey everyone.

When I watch HBO max with my full setup (arc, slx2 and sub) about every three minutes sound will drop for a second and pick back up (especially during action sequences). I've done resets and changed HDMI. 

I have sony 950h plugged into eARC. Any suggestions? Only happens with HBO max. No issues with prime/netflix/ cable etc...

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 March 2021, 12:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @zadc 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

What is the source of HBO Max? Is it a TV app?

I recommend you unplug your TV from power for 30 seconds. Plug it back in and test once it comes back on - has that helped?

If not, what format does the Sonos app indicate is playing while HBO is on? Have you noticed the same format play without issue on another source?

Please make sure your TV’s software is up-to-date, and Sonos too.

Hey Corry.

I've tried power resetting everything and both my TV and sonos is up to date.

It is playing through the TV app to where I'll either have 5.1 or atmos. The sound quality is fantastic, but the random one second drops can interrupt great scenes in the movie. Again, it only happens on HBO. Any other streaming service is perfect...which is why I personally am confused. 

Side note...this is my second Arc. The first one sonos took back because I actually had loud "popping" sounds on all different stations and streaming services..I would rather have these random drops than that ever again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @zadc 

The fact that it only happens on HBO is a bit suspect, to me. Could you please switch back to using your TV’s internal speakers and watch HBO for a while - do you still hear the occasional drop-out?

If so, I recommend you contact the TV’s manufacturer, or HBO.

If not, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what’s it’s reporting about the situation.

If you have another way of watching HBO (like through an app on a cable box), please try that alternative - does it make any difference?