Sky Q & Sonos 5:1 - static sound when changing channels/starting apps

• 5 September 2016
  • 22 replies

Badge
Hi,

I have a Sonos Playbar/Sub/2 x Sonos 1s setup with my Samsung F8000 TV.

Previously I had SkyHD and things worked fine as follows:
SkyHD > TV > Sonos

The TV passes through DD to the Sonos system and all was well.

I've just had Sky Q installed and have left the wiring as-is. The sound works, the Sky Q remote controls the Sonos volume with no problem, however when changing channels or when starting YouTube on the Sky Q box I get a loud 'pulsing/chugging' sound coming from the Sonos kit until the channel is fully changed (or the YouTube app is loaded). Sky Q is configured to pass DD through HDMI.

Connecting the Optical connection directly from the Sky Q box to the Sonos kit (not via the TV) solves the problem, but I want to use smart apps on the television also (playing from DLNA sources, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc.)

I guess I have a few questions:

1. Am I alone? Or does this happen to others

2. I assume this is an issue with Sky Q and not Sonos, as the Sky HD box didn't have the same problem with the same connection scheme - but I'm not certain.

3. If I live with it for now, is the noise likely to damage my Sonos kit?

4. Is there any way to overcome this or correct it?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I get the same when I change channels on my Humax HDR - My audio is going through a switch.

It's a slightly unpleasant sound but only last say 3/4 of a second so I ignore it.

I can't imagine it is going to damage the Playbar - It seems to be some sort of audio artefact when switching to/from a Dolby Digital 5.1/2.0 signal
Badge
Yep, sounds like the same thing - thanks.

The changing channels thing is bearable, but if i open YouTube on the Sky Q box it does it for the whole 10 seconds it takes to fire up YT.
Badge
I've uploaded a video to show the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwxzbHwP3IU

To recap the Soundbar is connected as follows:
Sky Q (hdmi cable) -> Samsung F8000 (optical) -> Sonos Playbar

If I connect the Sonos Playbar directly to the Sky Q box via optical, this doesn't happen.

If I replace the Sky Q box with a Sky HD box, this doesn't happen - even when wired as shown above.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That isn't like the slight crackle I get!

It sounds (no pun intended) like it's an issue between your Samsung TV and the Sky Q box
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, Cah. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is something we can change on the PLAYBAR. That is a very disruptive sound, though. We have been having issues with SKY Q but nothing of this nature, as far as I am aware. If we uncover anything else along these lines we'll be sure to let you know. Are there any available adjustments on the SKY Q box?
Badge
Hi,

If I turn the Sky Q box output to 'Stereo' then the problem goes away, but obviously then I don't benefit from my surround speakers. There aren't really any other settings that would obviously affect things.
Hi, I am having the exact same issue. Whenever I start to fast forwarding a recorded program I get exactly the same noise as per the above video. It's becoming extremely annoying. I have to either mute the sound before I forward or start to forward, stop and then quickly continue to prevent the noise issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
This seems to be an issue with the way in which Sky Q is passing the signal over to Sonos, I have a suspicion that any other device receiving the signal via optical would behave in the same way.

Hi, I am having the exact same issue. Whenever I start to fast forwarding a recorded program I get exactly the same noise as per the above video. It's becoming extremely annoying. I have to either mute the sound before I forward or start to forward, stop and then quickly continue to prevent the noise issue.
Can you please tell us what sort of TV you have? I may need to look into this further. Also, if I could have a diagnostic of your system, that would be helpful, too. Please provide the confirmation number. Thanks in advance.
Hi, I have the exact same setup and issue as cah (- the sub). Samsung UE46F8000, Sky Q Silver box, playbar and two play 1s as rears. Has there been a solution to this at all? (Apart from muting everytime you change channel, or switching back to stereo output...) Many thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Would an optical switch help, with optical leads from tv and skyQ box, and single out to playbar?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CSL-Toslink-transmission-receiver-speakers/dp/B015O5DHOG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1481880951&sr=8-4&keywords=optical+splitter
Hi...i am a new user here. In my case whenever I start to fast forwarding a recorded program I get exactly the same noise as per the above video. It's becoming extremely annoying. I have to either mute the sound before I forward or start to forward, stop and then quickly continue to prevent the noise issue.
Hi, I get exactly the same issue, the noise hurts my ears! I have Sky Q, Samsung 8000 series, playbar, sub and 2x Play 1- the noise occurs when starting to play a recording, changing channel or fast forwarding.
Has anyone found a solution to this? I have the same setup up as above Sky Q (hdmi cable) -> Samsung F8000 (optical) -> Sonos Playbase
I've uploaded a video to show the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwxzbHwP3IU

To recap the Soundbar is connected as follows:
Sky Q (hdmi cable) -> Samsung F8000 (optical) -> Sonos Playbar

If I connect the Sonos Playbar directly to the Sky Q box via optical, this doesn't happen.

If I replace the Sky Q box with a Sky HD box, this doesn't happen - even when wired as shown above.

Thats the same noise I am getting
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi, I have had the same issue since Sky Q was installed in June 17. TV is Samsung F7000 series connected to Sky Q via HDMI and Playbar / Play 1 surrounds, connected from optical on TV. Sound output from Sky Q set to Dolby digital over hdmi. Yesterday Sky replaced the Q box with a new unit but the problem remains. I have also looked at the Sky community forum where some users report the sa,e problems. (There are also many happy customers with no issues). I have read that the Sky Q mesh WiFi can interfere with the Sonos WiFi, and some users have switched to Ethernet connections on Sky. This is mostly where a mini box is also used. Not sure if this could cause a sound issue though ?

Would live to hear if anyone has found a solution, as I do not want to switch of the Dolby digital or have to go to using an optical switch.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
I had Sky change the Q box for a newer unit and it went away. I have no explanation for it !!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I have the exact same noise on my Sonos 5.1 system. Just switched from a Playbase to Beam, the weird sound seems more frequent now but not sure. It happens mostly when the signal is changing from and to HDR. Same thing on both my AppleTV 4K and my PS4 Pro.
My TV is a Phillips POS9002/12
Yep - I have the issue too. Loud high pitched noise when changing channels (but on Virgin V6 box) for half a second or so. Any ideas how I can stop it happening? TV is a Philips PUS6703
Ben. I have the same Philips TV, a Sonos Beam and Sky Q mini box. I'm getting a noise when I change Sky channels. Did you manage to fix your problem?
I'm having the same issue as the two above, brand new Beam and Philips PUS6703, but with a 2016 SKY+HD.

The issue arises when going from stereo (say BBC1) to DD (say BBC1 HD), but not going the other way. When the screen is blue, as the box "locks in" the next channel it crackles for a second or so.

Set up is SKY -> TV - (via ARC)> Sonos

Diagnostic number: 1763809635
GHM

I've had my new Philips PUS6703 and Beam for over 3 weeks now. I've tried a variety of things but the crackling sound is still there when switching Sky Q channels. I'm currently using optical connection from TV to Beam because a) the Sonos app was constantly reporting that the HDMI ARC connection setup was incomplete (Sonos support said it was "timing out") and, b) using optical enabled me to switch TV sound output to "headphones" so that the TV volume off warning doesn't show on the screen every time I adjust volume. This is the best compromise I've been able to find so that I have a good level of functionality and minimum unwanted behaviour (e.g. screen earnings or Sonos app issues). Downside is that I've lost any ARC functionality (e.g. control the TV using Alexa but I was never likely to use that anyway). One benefit is that the HDMI ARC connection on the rear of the TV is adequate for Sky Q MINI box (1080p) and so because I don't need that HDMI for sound to the Beam, I have effectively gained an HDMI on the side of the TV that would otherwise have been occupied.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Since my post 10 months ago I have recently upgraded my TV to a Sony AF8 series and the static issue has gone away. I was also suffering with Dolby Digital pass through issues through my Blu-Ray previously and this has also been sorted. It seems to me that a lot of problems were due to the Samsung TV.