Answered

Skipping tracks halfway through songs....

I play songs on my iPhone and they skip halfway through, I hate this system!!! Any fixes? The last update has made it worse.
icon

Best answer by Misfit 11 June 2019, 20:46

View original

34 replies

Are you kidding me?!? Sonos is removing the only feature I ever used: “On this iPhone”. The feature why I bought 3 of your expensive devices??

if I was treating my customers like you do with yours, I would not have any.

Is this really true?
Userlevel 1
Badge
So one of the main reasons I purchased 2 Play 1’s and a Play 3 was the ability to reliably stream music directly from my phone to one or multiple speakers in different rooms. They worked great for several years, best wireless speakers I ever had. Then I suddenly started having issues with them. Now I’m told one of the main functions behind my decision to purchase the speakers is being removed and in order to use the speakers as marketed I will have to replace them or spend hundreds of dollars to add on additional devices. Absolutely ridiculous and infuriating. I suppose next Sonos will announce they no longer support the original speakers. Had they shown an effort and expertise to fix problems and not blame everything on the consumers setup I had planned to buy many and place them throughout the house. Unfortunately I have lost confidence in Sonos and their ability to support their devices.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Okay thanks but what is the date of the article.

Today. They changed the Playing music from an iphone/ipad/or ipod touch article to removing the 'on this device' feature for iOS.

There was an announcement that was made.

Upcoming changes to ‘On this iPhone or iPad’ Playback
Okay thanks but what is the date of the article.

Sounds like using the Sonos app is now a dead duck! Shame … it worked well for me.

I will reconfigure the ipad and try again.

Thanks for the heads up
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I suggest you read this article.

Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature
My multiple Play 1's have been excellent for years and i have been looking recently at upgrading to Play 5 and soundbar. But then.....from today..... i have joined the many of you sonos fans with tracks skipping before they are finished.

Three months ago I upgraded to Sky Q but other than that nothing has changed to my system but sonos updates. Same router, signal booster, ipad and iphone and same location. Both Play 1's are effectively unusable!!

I always played through the ipad not iphone. So whats changed other than now having useless speakers??

What can we do? I have turned off airplay on skyQ but no change to the problem. Come on SONOS make this right or lose customers wholesale across the country.

I think you should understand if this becomes common knowledge you don't have a business!
Don't hold your breath, people. I've had a sonos system for years and they've never been able to fix this problem. I doubt they ever will. Playing songs from an iphone should be the main priority. They'll keep asking you to get error reports and blah blah blah. But nothing ever changes. Basically, don't bother playing songs that live on your iphone directly from your phone that you can carry around with you and manipulate (you know like you expect to do since 2007?). Sonos is 12 years behind the times.
Hi Jeff,

Ive seen your copy paste response. When does SONOS expect a software update that will fix this issue? I use my apple tv all the time so I do not want to disable my airplay. Nor should keeping my computer on wasting electricity of spending hundreds on a NAS be a solution.

Especially since SONOS markets itself as a premium audio company. Id expect the products to work.

Also any update on when SONOS will enable youtube in the primary app? I like listening to 1 hour mixes or customer streams.

Thanks

Has this been rectified? I agree with Jeff 100%
I am likewise experiencing this issue. Completely absurd. I’m insulted.
Hi Sonos, can you pls just fix this major issues! I mean it‘s ridiculous, this is the core of your product and it doesn‘t work.
same issue here : diagnostics 256674804. Sonos keeps jumping playlist tracks after less than a minute on deezer playlist since yesterday, whichever terminal I use (Ipad, Android phone, PC, etc.), so apparently not related to autolock...
Same here whether source is local or Tidal & either via Desktop or Android phone, assume it's the apps as have no problem when stream from Tidal via Apple TV & Yamaha soundbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Nothing in my home is using AirPlay. Songs skip, or stop playing. Essentially, my Sonos is useless to me currently.

Do you get audio skips when playing from any other source than your iOS storage? If so, you likely have network congestion or wireless interference. Here's a guide which will help troubleshoot generic audio interruptions.

If the issue only happens while playing from your iOS device's storage, it is either a weak connection between your iOS device and network, or you have a non-Sonos AirPlay device active on your network. Do the skips happen when your iOS device remains unlocked?

Only from my iOS device. The device is within 15 feet of my router. I've pulled every device off my router, with the exception of my Sonos (2 PLAY1s and 2 PLAY3s), and my phone (the device from which I'm playing Sonos) All other apps on the phone are closed (no audio cross talk). Airplay is disabled. Autolock is disabled. I do not stream music..I want to play the music I've purchased.

It could be another issue, usually that would affect all sources though. If you submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look.
Same problem here. Nothing in my home is using AirPlay. Songs skip, or stop playing. Essentially, my Sonos is useless to me currently.

Do you get audio skips when playing from any other source than your iOS storage? If so, you likely have network congestion or wireless interference. Here's a guide which will help troubleshoot generic audio interruptions.

If the issue only happens while playing from your iOS device's storage, it is either a weak connection between your iOS device and network, or you have a non-Sonos AirPlay device active on your network. Do the skips happen when your iOS device remains unlocked?

Only from my iOS device. The device is within 15 feet of my router. I've pulled every device off my router, with the exception of my Sonos (2 PLAY1s and 2 PLAY3s), and my phone (the device from which I'm playing Sonos) All other apps on the phone are closed (no audio cross talk). Airplay is disabled. Autolock is disabled. I do not stream music..I want to play the music I've purchased.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Badge
Having the same problem. Really annoying.
Ok, so I tried a fix, not suitable for all. I connected the Sonos using a wired solution directly to our Time Machine (an Apple WiFi router with built in hard disk) using a network cable. I then disabled the WiFi on the Sonos (PLAY:1), and it hasn’t skipped a song since.:8
We have a 100% Apple household: iPads, iPhones, Macs, airport express, time machine, Apple TV. Only non-Apple device connected to the WiFi is the Sonos.

It used to work fine, but now from 2 different iPhones, it skips songs. I assume it’s after one of the firmware updates.

We luckily only got a PLAY:1, so that is getting replaced with an Apple HomePod. What a pity.

Oh, and btw a NAS solution is a insane solution for music you play on the go. For TV shows and movies it’s ok, but you want to take the music with you using Bluetooth in your car, on your headset or at your work, and not store it 2 different places, just because Sonos has a firmware issue.
😞
Hi Jeff,

Ive seen your copy paste response. When does SONOS expect a software update that will fix this issue? I use my apple tv all the time so I do not want to disable my airplay. Nor should keeping my computer on wasting electricity of spending hundreds on a NAS be a solution.

Especially since SONOS markets itself as a premium audio company. Id expect the products to work.

Also any update on when SONOS will enable youtube in the primary app? I like listening to 1 hour mixes or customer streams.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

With the introduction of AirPlay 2 support a few months back, streaming from the storage of an iOS device will likely have playback issues if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network. You can either disable AirPlay on and non-Sonos devices on your network, or disable auto lock on your iOS device to get streaming from your iOS device's storage working.

My advice is to download your music library to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. This will allow you to stream your music library without interruptions when you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active, and even if your iOS device goes to sleep, or offline entirely. Take a couple minutes now to save yourself the hassle of streaming interruptions.
I have the same issue, can also confirm that this feels like an update issue. Ive had SONOS for 3 years now, and IIRC I never had a problem playing music from my iphones storage. I used to play music all the time for entertain, and no issues. For me this issue has creeped up more and more over the last 6 months.
Userlevel 2
I'm in the same position as everyone else. I have stopped using my sonos completely due to this frustration. I was planning to extend my sonos system though out my house. This problem put a big end to that.
Thanks ChiFlyer, I have already tried the method you have suggested but with no succes, It worked for about 15 minutes but the problem returned.
Take that all back, it is happening again, never completes a song, nothing to be proud of Sonos.