Answered

Skipping sonos

• 19 February 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi all, unfortunately we have a severely skipping system. I changed 2 things recently a) my broadband router b) I added a pair of sonos ones. I’m not sure which of these if either is causing the problem. The system is connected via Ethernet. If anyone has a solution got would be greatly appreciated the diagnostic ref is 8512707

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by Keith N 10 April 2018, 20:23

Hi there, Mattyal86. No worries for the late reply! Correct if one Sonos device is plugged into the network, the whole system uses SonosNet. However, when you group rooms, the room you group from is the Group Coordinator and is responsible for feeding the rest of the group. This means if you play Line-In to the whole group, the signal needs to go to from the wired CONNECT to the Kitchen (Group Coordinator) and then to the rest of Sonos. This adds a wireless connection (which is susceptible to interference) to the signal chain before it even gets sent the rest of the Sonos system, and makes the group easier to break apart due to the interference.

If you are still having troubles with this, I would recommend giving our technicians a call. They are able to get a closer look at the network and look at potential pain points. Thanks.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Mattyal86. Thanks for posting and for the diagnostic report. In most cases with skipping we need to focus on the transmission of the data itself. What is the make and model of the new router you are using? Do you happen to have any wireless extenders or access points? How close is the CONNECT:CD (wired unit) to anything broadcasting a wireless signal?

Thanks for clarifying!
Badge
Hi, thanks for the response. The router is a Vodafone hhg2500. The connect happens to be right next to the router as you rightly say it is connected by Ethernet. Do you suggest I move it further away? Thanks matt
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
No problem at all. Yes, try moving the CONNECT a 6-8 inches away from the router. It seems to be dealing with a bit of wireless interference. Afterwards, submit another diagnostic and I'll be happy to advise.
Badge
Hi, I have moved the router and connect approx 2ft apart and the issue is still occurring. 310603567. Thanks again for the help
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Mattyal86: Are you playing content from the Line-In of the CONNECT? It seems that you have all your rooms grouped to Kitchen rather than the CONNECT. If you are attempting to play audio across your whole house, its ideal to start grouping from the device that is wired into the network rather than a wireless device. This will make sure the rest of your Sonos system is being "fed" the signal from a wired source rather than having to send the content over the wireless network before going to the rest of the group.

If you continue to have problems after changing the grouping, I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot in real time over a remote session.
Badge
Hi keith, sorry for late reply. I rarely play music through the line in, but do at times. I generally start music in the kitchen and then find I add rooms as I move around the house. Surely I shouldn't have to consider where I play the music from? If there's a wired device the whole system runs on sonosnet does it not? I'm still having issues, and the issue stops when I unplug 'kitchen pair' thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Mattyal86. No worries for the late reply! Correct if one Sonos device is plugged into the network, the whole system uses SonosNet. However, when you group rooms, the room you group from is the Group Coordinator and is responsible for feeding the rest of the group. This means if you play Line-In to the whole group, the signal needs to go to from the wired CONNECT to the Kitchen (Group Coordinator) and then to the rest of Sonos. This adds a wireless connection (which is susceptible to interference) to the signal chain before it even gets sent the rest of the Sonos system, and makes the group easier to break apart due to the interference.

If you are still having troubles with this, I would recommend giving our technicians a call. They are able to get a closer look at the network and look at potential pain points. Thanks.