Answered

skipping songs

• 4 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge
Just purchased and set up Sonos. It skips songs at any given point. Never finishes a song.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 February 2020, 18:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge

In most of these type of issues, the cause is some sort of wifi interference. It’s worth reading through that FAQ, and trying the solutions that may apply to your specific setup.

thanks

In most of these type of issues, the cause is some sort of wifi interference. It’s worth reading through that FAQ, and trying the solutions that may apply to your specific setup.

Just purchased and set up Sonos. It skips songs at any given point. Never finishes a song.

I have 13 Sonos speakers throughout the house that work well 95% of the time.  The times they hiccup, all but one definitely sound like they are network/buffer, or service related.  When I change playlists on Spotify while playing through Sonos, it takes a bit before all the speakers catch up.  When I stop and start music, the same thing happens.  Understandable.  There is one time where this CAN’T be network related.  I have a particular song that will make things skip several songs.  100% of the time.  I even changed sources from Apple, to Spotify.  Same result.  I spent 35 years in IT so I know what the F**K I am talking about.  When you debug something the first thing you look for is a repeatable anomaly under many different conditions.  One song?  Really.  That is the only commonality that produces this skipping.  I can change around network settings on a well running network 400Mb/sec 2.4Ghz, and 800+Mb/sec on 5Ghz, with very little latency, if any.  I have an Orbi Network extension system that allows these kinds of speeds throughout a 1/3 of an acre landscape.  I would say that's decent performance for the application.  Getting the Sonos system to skip using a SINGLE SONGS makes my brain think what else is going on in the coding of that song, which must be identical, or close to identical across services.  Or, MAYBE the Sonos system just throws up when it encounters something like this.  Reading all these skipping threads, I wonder if the Sonos engineers ever pursued this path.  All my career, it was easy to blame things on the network.  Lots of components that have to speak to each other while transmitting data IN ORDER from one place to another.  Many points of failure.  Even more so when you have a heterogenous environment, which it looks like many on these threads do.  Just please look.  Check out the Song “COLD” by Five Finger Death Punch, and see if there’s not something in the encoding or other characteristic of the song that the Sonos software just burps on.  Thanks.

Why not submit your own diagnostic to Sonos after playing your version of this file?

Answers on this forum by fellow users are based upon anecdotal posting of data, not actual data analysis, since other users don’t have access to the diagnostics submitted to Sonos. My responses cover the vast majority of issues presented by users, but can’t cover every single possible issue. If I’m hitting above 99%, I think I’m doing well. If you’ve got an issue that isn’t covered by the ‘generic’ answer, I’m truly sorry, but merely complaining about my responses to others won’t help your particular issue. What would be a huge step forward would be if you took the few seconds necessary to supply the Sonos folks with actual data from your system, along with your context above, and give them the opportunity to do their best to assist you. 

I can tell you that the issue with the songs constantly skipping to the next track has nothing to do with iOS or Spodify and I am tired of reading that as the issue.  I have an Android set-up and I am using Soundcloud but experiencing the same exact issues!  Extremely frustrating!!  One thing is correct from all the forums that I have been reading about this issue (and there are a lot) is that this started happening about 6 months ago.  

I have deleted the app from my Android Note 8 and tried just running the music through my Surface PC but that did not help.  Then I deleted the app from my computer and tried just running it from my phone, of course that did not work either.

Equipment:

Sub, Play 1, Beam

Diagnostic Report - 01864475

Has anyone figured out a REAL solution to this?  And no I am not going to unplug my router again.  

Thanks,

CM