Answered

SiriusXM Unsupported Digital Rights Management System

It’s happening again. Worked fine yesterday and now this morning I keep getting error messages about SiriusXM using an unsupported digital rights management system. Please help. 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 29 April 2022, 15:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you explain what Sonos unit(s) you have and how/what it is connected too?

Arc & Move. Simple setup. Only connect to my wifi. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You may want to check out my article: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

I unplugged it for 30 seconds & the plugged back in earlier this morning. Works again.,,

Badge +1

I’m still plagued by this also.  Come on, Sonos - WTF!   It all seemed to start around the time Sonos Radio was launched.

I have been streaming SiriusXM fine for years without issue prior to that.

Doesn’t matter what channel either.

Unable to play '169 - CBC Radio One' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/3/22, 7:56 AM
Unable to play '169 - CBC Radio One' - it is encoded using an unsupported digital rights management system.

5/3/22, 7:59 AM
Unable to play '169 - CBC Radio One' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/3/22, 8:01 AM
Unable to play '23 - Grateful Dead' - the song is not encoded correctly.

5/3/22, 8:01 AM
Unable to play '23 - Grateful Dead' - it is encoded using an unsupported digital rights management system.

5/3/22, 8:07 AM
Unable to play '23 - Grateful Dead' - it is encoded using an unsupported digital rights management system.

Probably more helpful if you were to post a diagnostic for Sonos to look at, but I’m going to hazard a guess of some sort of local wifi interference , which could cause that sort of issue. Worth reading the linked FAQ there, but I’d at the least do a network refresh by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router recovers, plug back in your Sonos devices, wait a few minutes, and test. 

Badge +1

Probably more helpful if you were to post a diagnostic for Sonos to look at, but I’m going to hazard a guess of some sort of local wifi interference , which could cause that sort of issue. Worth reading the linked FAQ there, but I’d at the least do a network refresh by unplugging all your Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Once the router recovers, plug back in your Sonos devices, wait a few minutes, and test. 

It’s not a local issue that I’ve been able to identify.   I’m actually a 30 year IT veteran.  I work from home and am on this network every single day, so I’m pretty intimately familiar with this deployment.  That doesn’t make me infallible, but I mention it because I have spent a ton of time trying to tweak items that may stymie your regular non-technical home user.   

I can keep customer VPNs and RDP sessions up for days on end.  I can stream to Sonos all day long from every other music service - it’s only a problem with Sonos and SiriusXM.  So it seems like either a handshake or communication issue between the two, and the error language is interesting.   It just doesn’t say “failure” - it specifically calls out a DRM or codec type issue.    If I switch channels, a different channel may work fine (so we know the IP and Gateway for the Sonos speakers are fine). 

And the APs in the house were changed with a completely different brand (for other reasons) - and the problem persists.   So I have indeed changed and tried many things local, including strategically setting AP channels manually to ensure there is no overlap etc.  I also ran around with a survey tool and did a site survey to analyze WiFi strength.  etc. etc.

And if I’m streaming off any of the other services, including from my own iTunes Library - it also never fails.  Very curious.

Update:  did you also see this thread?    

SirusXM on Sonos uses completely different servers to push data to the Sonos system than they do for other apps and web locations. It’s possible that while they’ve fixed one set of servers, they’re still working on others. And probably 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

has a bit to do with all of it, too. 

Bruce

M

1 person likes this

M

I contacted Sonos and just received an update on the problem:  “ We've identified a problem with Amazon AWS infrastructure. You may experience issues with Amazon Music, Alexa Voice Control, Audible, SiriusXM, Sonos Backgrounds, Cloud Cover Music and Sonos Radio in the Sonos app until it's resolved.”

Yes, I’ve seen the threads that I’ve posted to. 

It’s hard to say that this is or is not a local issue, or one somewhere between your network and SiriusXM, without looking at a diagnostic, and of course, not being a Sonos employee, I don’t have access to any diagnostics. In most cases, it’s local, but there’s always the possibility that there’s a DNS issue, or that the data source, a SiriusXM server, is feeding back incorrect data, or even a hardware failure. And if you choose not to provide Sonos with hard data, that’s fine, but not knowing the specifics will make it hard for Sonos to contact SiriusXM with anything, much less get back to you with something. 

As an IT professional, you should well be aware that engineers prefer hard data to look at, rather than anecdotal information, when working on ‘bugs’. Particularly if they are unable to reproduce the issue locally.

However, it’s a personal choice, I don’t want to force you in to doing something that, while it might help identify the particular issue you are experiencing, would likely provide Sonos with personal information about your local network, as well as log files that might contain specific error codes that would identify the cause of this.

Badge +1

Yes, I’ve seen the threads that I’ve posted to. 

It’s hard to say that this is or is not a local issue, or one somewhere between your network and SiriusXM, without looking at a diagnostic, and of course, not being a Sonos employee, I don’t have access to any diagnostics. In most cases, it’s local, but there’s always the possibility that there’s a DNS issue, or that the data source, a SiriusXM server, is feeding back incorrect data, or even a hardware failure. And if you choose not to provide Sonos with hard data, that’s fine, but not knowing the specifics will make it hard for Sonos to contact SiriusXM with anything, much less get back to you with something. 

As an IT professional, you should well be aware that engineers prefer hard data to look at, rather than anecdotal information, when working on ‘bugs’. Particularly if they are unable to reproduce the issue locally.

However, it’s a personal choice, I don’t want to force you in to doing something that, while it might help identify the particular issue you are experiencing, would likely provide Sonos with personal information about your local network, as well as log files that might contain specific error codes that would identify the cause of this.

Where do you get the idea I haven’t provided Sonos with any “data”?  I *have* provided Sonos with diagnostic data.  Multiple times.

Also I can stream SiriusXM just fine from a web browser without issue.

I can stream all other services, both from local datasources and remote, through Sonos, without issue.  

Badge

Why can’t you fix this issue????

SiriusXM using an unsupported digital rights management system

It continues…  don’t you have a solution?