SiriusXM Issues Today? "song is not encoded properly"

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've been using SiriusXM and SONOS for years. Very, very rarely a problem. Until today.
First, music was cutting out (skipping) for a second or so.
Now, I'm getting an error "unable to play [station] - the song is not encoded properly".
I've rebooted everything in my system - router, gateway, Sonos BRIDGE, PLAY:5, etc.

Note - I can play XM fine through my web browser, and via phone (across all quality types).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, lindros2. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. SiriusXM recently made some changes to the integration on Sonos. Would you mind replicating the problem and submitting a diagnostic report? Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end.

I'll be happy to take a closer look and see what's going on.

Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello there, lindros2. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. SiriusXM recently made some changes to the integration on Sonos. Would you mind replicating the problem and submitting a diagnostic report? Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end.

I'll be happy to take a closer look and see what's going on.

Thanks!

I’ve been running for a couple days and submitted two reports via support. Latest diagnostic trace was 1067048156.

The issue persists - as it happened again today - but isn’t as bad on some channels (53) as others (8). I presume - but can’t prove it - that it’s based on quality (classical has much higher priority via satellite/terrestrial than talk radio/sports, for example - so could be similar here).

Response time has been slooooooow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks, lindros2. I'm unable to catch any errors regarding stream quality in the diagnostic report. At this point, it may be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to set up a remote session and get a closer look at the stream and its audio quality on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, lindros2. I'm unable to catch any errors regarding stream quality in the diagnostic report. At this point, it may be best to give our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to set up a remote session and get a closer look at the stream and its audio quality on Sonos.

If this is SONOS' idea of "support", you are absolutely screwed.
I will toss out my multi-room system and go with Apple HomePods, like many writers have been doing.

You need to step it up - your support is AWFUL, and this is of zero - NO - help.

Get your support to wake up and look at the ORIGINAL log. Which was ignored.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Submitting a diagnostic report will not alert Sonos to any problems on your system. When you submit a diagnostic report, it states: "Sonos recommends that you submit diagnostic information only when requested by a Sonos Customer Care team member." This is because we need the confirmation number to pull up the report. If you submit diagnostic reports without recording or sharing the confirmation number, we may not be able to locate the report. Looking into our system, I was unable to locate any support cases or tickets under your Community registered email address.

We offer a number of different methods of support at Sonos, each with its own benefits and limitations. The Community has a great resource in the combined knowledge of its expert users. However, the phone support team uses troubleshooting tools like remote desktop and can also leverage the benefit of working in real time. Our Twitter and Facebook teams have some of the quickest response times but are similarly limited in troubleshooting methods.

From what you've described, the best avenue to get this problem resolved is through working with our technicians over the phone. This allows them to get this sorted with the least amount of interactions and impact on your time.

For more information on the various ways to get support check out our contact page.
Good luck with the HomePods replacing your multi-room speakers. Last I heard, they are Apple's entry into the multi-room smart speaker market that can't manage to do multi-room. Good plan, though.
I am having this exact problem today. I've also rebooted everything. EXCEPT... I noticed that I have very few problems on the channels that show up on the radio, but have BIG problems with the 'online only' channels.
Anyone else having this problem? It just started for me today-