Answered

SiriusXM connections fail with "the song is not encoded correctly"

• 17 February 2020
  • 8 replies

I recently added my SiriusXM subscription to my Sonos configuration. When I try to listen to any SiriusXM channel, after attempting to connect, I receive the error message "the song is not encoded correctly".

Sonos setup includes:
Play:5 (original) - Ethernet
Connect - Ethernet
2 x Play:5 (new model) in stereo pair - wireless
2 x Sonos One SL in stereo pair - wireless
Sonos Amp - Ethernet
Play:3 - wireless

I *can* get SiriusXM channels to play reliably on the Sonos One SL pair but not on any other Sonos devices, neither the newer generation Play:5 and Amp nor the older products (original Play:5 or Connect - haven’t tested the Play:3).

Ethernet connections are Gb, Internet is Comcast with 170 Mbps down, 12 Mbps up.

No problems with other services (local music library, TuneIn, & Amazon Music)

Can you please help me get SiriusXM working?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Sebastien D. 20 February 2020, 18:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

It sounds like it could be some changes to the integration on Sonos. Try removing your SiriusXM account from your Sonos system and add it back in. If the issue still persists, submitting a diagnostic through the Sonos app provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue.

Then, please reply back the diagnostic confirmation number so I can take a closer look at the issue.

Sebastien

I removed then recreated the Sirius XM account. SIriusXM channels currently error out ("the song is not encoded correctly") on the following devices:

Play:5 (original) - wired Ethernet
Connect - wired Ethernet

Sirius channels will play on the following:
2 x Play:5 (new model) in stereo pair - wireless
2 x Sonos One SL in stereo pair - wireless
Sonos Amp - wired Ethernet
Play:3 - wireless

Diagnostic number: 1149734175

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Understood, according to the diagnostic report, I do see multiple Sonos units are in different Wi-Fi channels. Enable the Wi-Fi card on your Play: 5 Gen 1 and your Amp to establish Sonosnet.

Sebastien

The Amp is working (it is on a wired connection). I have made no change to that device.

I removed the wired connection from the old generation Play:5 and set it up on a wireless connection (it prompted for the wireless network so I added it to the main internal wireless network).

I still receive the same error when trying to play a SiriusXM channel on this Play:5 (note that it was not grouped with any other device).

I generated a new diagnostic for you: 1331375055

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I am aware that you are able to initiate playback from SiriusXM on some of your Sonos products such as your Sonos One SL’s, at this point, try doing a full reboot on all of your Sonos products and a network reboot if possible.

I have the same problem, have tried all of the solutions listed in this post, and continue to get the error… Is there actually an answer to this?  It worked well for over a year, and only now begins to give me trouble.  This does not sound like an isolated issue. Is there actually some solution?

Absolutely same here. But the issue only happens with SiriusXM channels. All other services work quite well. I don’t believe this is an network issue on my side, if other services are going to work without one hick up all day long. The issue with SiriusXM started last Wednesday and was working very well more than a year.

@Sebastien D. any ideas or solutions?

Here’s the workaround I use:

1. I’ve been listening to Siriusxm for hours and suddenly it stops. My Sonos’ app says it can’t play because the “song is not encoded properly”.
  2. I ask Amazon Alexa “Alexa, play [siriusxm channel name] on Siriusxm” It works (but my Sonos app no longer displays album art, song or artist information -- which is think is a clue to where the problem with song encoding lies). 
  3. Now I can tell Amazon Alexa, “Alexa, off”.
  4. My Sonos’ app will now play Siriusxm again.