Answered

Single source - multi room delay

• 13 March 2021
  • 2 replies

So I’ve searched the forums and haven’t found a solution for the issue I’m experiencing.

When I start playing a source with different rooms groups, I will hear the source play from one room, but not others, then it will cut out, then it will start up again maybe 20 seconds later, but another room will still not be playing. 10 seconds later all rooms will be playing as normal.

The whole time, everything looks normal via the Sonos app. I’ve tried many different methods of fixing this “delay” from hardwiring all speakers (thank goodness I live alone, the CAT6 spaghetti drove even me nuts), I’ve used different sources from Pandora to a line-in turntable, I’ve put all Sonos devices on their own VLAN with favorable QoS. None of those things worked

No matter what, I still have this issue of starting a source playback at different rooms seem to start/stop randomly for about 30-60 seconds until they “settle in” to normal playback. Happens every time, no matter the source, cloud or physical. I will say if it’s only one group (just the office for example) no issue.

Anyone got insight?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 March 2021, 08:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried just wiring one of your Sonos speakers to your router or network with an ethernet cable? You only need to wire one to create a SonosNet mesh network.

Sure sounds like the speakers are struggling to connect to each other to keep in sync. That suggests perhaps wifi interference. Putting them on SonosNet, as suggested by GuitarSuperstar, is a good thought, to be sure, putting them on a mesh network where they reinforce each other, rather than each device needing to contact your router directly.