Answered

Since when did å, ä and ö stop working?

Userlevel 1
Badge

So since - I guess - att least a year back the Swedish letters å ä and ö are not recognized. Why? My Nas can see them, windows and Mac can see them.

Sure I can get something like A Better Finder Rename and traverse the entire collection hunting for and renaming these songs. But why? This used to work. I never like when things that used to work stop working.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas 

icon

Best answer by James L. 24 September 2021, 12:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @AndreasHy, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community!

Are you by chance using a One SL, and have your music stored on a NAS drive?

If so, we’re aware of and investigating an issue affecting files with special characters - no timeline to share right now, but the team are looking in to it :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, the music is stored on a NAS. And I can play the songs, from the NAS, through any other software (like Quicktime Player, VLC, Plex etc).

The weird things are the following:

Norwegian “ö” which is spelled “ø” still works. Swedish “ö” does not work.

• The song “Vänner.m4a” cannot be played, and the system reports “could not play track IP://path/to/music/artist/v?nner.m4a”. See that “v?nner.m4a”? It seems Sonos interpret the “ä” as a ?.
  • The songs by “Erlend Øye” can be played with no problem.

My system indeed includes an SL, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. None of the other parts of my system can play these songs either. The rest of my system consists of Play 5, One, Amp.

Regards,

Andreas

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @AndreasHy, understood.

As a test, would you mind powering off the One SL, and then re-indexing the Music Library? Once that’s finished, are you able to play the affected tracks on your non-SL speakers?

Let us know how you get on :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Absolutely, I’ll test that tonight! Thanks for your help!
/ Andreas

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I tried it now, but as I suspected it did not help to unplug the One SL. This is something to do with how Sonos interprets the ascii-letters but I’m not a programmer so I cannot develop this idea much I’m afraid.

Screenshot below.

I guess the only way to solve it is to rename all folders/files without the swedish letters.

Regards,

Andreas

Userlevel 1
Badge

I forgot to add: thank you anyway for your help!
Cheers,

Andreas

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Understood - thanks for trying that. Just to confirm, you also updated the Music Library with the One SL powered off?

We’re aware of an issue matching your experience, however it should only be affecting the One SL, and as long as a different player has indexed the library, any other players should be able to play those tracks.

If this isn’t working though, then I would recommend reaching out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call, as they have additional tools available for troubleshooting :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello

Sorry for late reply, I missed the mail notification that you had replied.

And, again - sorry, I read your reply too hastily. 

I did NOT have the SL powered off while doing the library re-index , only when I tried to play the songs. My bad.

I’ll check that tonight when I get home. Thank you!

/ Andreas

This is STILL a problem also with Danish characters æ, ø, å. So if I want to play a local artist or more internationally known like Björk, I can't :( 

When do Sonos have a solution? 

Teaming up with Scandinavian IKEA and not being able to support local characters is a serious issue IMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Teaming up with Scandinavian IKEA and not being able to support local characters is a serious issue IMO.

Seems to me it's a matter of configuration, as my Sonos is capable of displaying even the most unusual characters.

Seems to me it's a matter of configuration, as my Sonos is capable of displaying even the most unusual characters.

I can play from Spotify but not from NAS. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The picture shows music from my NAS.

The picture shows music from my NAS.

Ahhh, good to hear! Any ideas regarding configuration?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Ahhh, good to hear! Any ideas regarding configuration?

Sorry, can't help you there. I just wanted you to know that your problem can be solved, maybe by another community member, maybe by a Sonos Rep.

Just to add my experience. 

It's not just Swedish characters causing the problem. With my One SL connected, Sonos is unable to index songs stored on a Nas with ANY special characters, even things as simple as ' . As you can imagine, that's a lot of songs missing from my collection unless I unplug the SL every time before re indexing. 

That's a pretty big issue so I'm hoping this is pretty high up on their 'to do' list. 

Just to add my experience. 

It's not just Swedish characters causing the problem. With my One SL connected, Sonos is unable to index songs stored on a Nas with ANY special characters, even things as simple as ' . As you can imagine, that's a lot of songs missing from my collection unless I unplug the SL every time before re indexing. 

That's a pretty big issue so I'm hoping this is pretty high up on their 'to do' list. 

Thank you for responding and I also certainly hope that it is high on their agenda!  

I just learned that the ONE SL is causingthe problem. If you disconnect the ONE SL and index your music library, the problem disappears. 

Badge

Finally, i found other people with the same problem.

Since 13.0 firmware, all my album music stored on my NAS with French characters like à, é, è, ê, ô, ù in upper or lower case cause a message “could not play track IP://path/to/music/artist/title.m4a” only on my One SL alone.

Same if this One SL is pairing to an another One SL in a stereo pair.

If the One SL is pairing to a One speaker in a stereo pair, it’s working fine :confused: .

I have not this issue with my other Sonos speakers (Beam, Arc, One, Roam or Symphonisk) and with Apple Music too.

I contacted the Sonos french support on 09/06/2021 and never received a response.

Ticket number : 02977382

Badge

I’m also experiencing the same issues since adding a bunch of Sonos One SL devices to my Sonos system. Anything with as much as an apostrophe (‘) is not able to be played back. I’m hosting my library on a Windows file share and it’s been fine for the past 5 years or so, but since introducing the Sonos One SL’s, it’s been a pain in the proverbial! I’m often adding new music to my library and having to unplugged four One SL’s each time I want to update the library is wearing a bit thin. Is there any timeline on a fix for this?

Badge

Unplugged your One SL is working for you ?

Because in my case, it’s not working.

Badge +17

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that this issue has been resolved in the latest S2 update (13.3).

Please update your players and let us know if you continue experiencing this issue by contacting our customer care team via phone or live chat.

Badge

The problem is solved for me.

I can finally play my French albums on my One SL speaker.

Thanks for this correction :thumbsup: