Question

Since uppgrading to S2 app browsing music sources is incredibly slow

When I open the S2 app on my iPhone, iPad or iMac the rooms appear within seconds. However, when I browse to Apple Music or Amazon Music the artists, albums or tracks take 15 to 20 seconds to load (each time).  Therefore, selecting an artist, then an album and then a track can take up to a minute!!!  Playback seems fine though. My internet speed is 25-30 Meg.  I have my router on channel 1 and Sonosnet on channel 6. I have a Sonos Boost hard wired to my router. Any help would be appreciated, as I’m considering going back to S1, but I believe this will mean recreating my system (and I have 13 components!). 

21 replies

Slow performance on my system to, takes longer time before responding. (S2 upgraded system) About almost aweek now.

No idea how, but I seem to have resolved the issue on my iPhone and Mac, but still slow on my iPad and on my wife’s iPhone/iPad. Not sure what I did, if anything, they just seem to work now!  I think a call to Sonos is required. 

Slow performance in my iPad also. Android on my phone working fine. Have tried to restart the complete system with no luck. Any suggestions?

I’ve been chatting to Sonos for over 4 days now and they are completely baffled!  It also seems to have all gone very quiet in the last day or two, which is not a good sign. I thought about reverting to the S1 app, but you can’t do that unless you have at least 1 device that is still at the S1 software standard!

Basically I’m really pissed off now, as I have thousands of pounds of HiFi speakers that take a minimum of a minute to do anything!!!  Setting up a playlist could take hours!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @Taz_tasman, @niels.thorsen, and @Fox Mulder!

Thanks for letting us know about this and I’ll be happy to help. I also appreciate all your efforts. If it’s working with other controllers/devices maybe you need to remove the Sonos app to the specific device you’re having issues with and restart your phone. After restarting, try to install the Sonos S2 App again. If that won’t work try to check for updates on your phone and submit a diagnostic for further details on our side. 

Here’s how you Submit a diagnostic:

Sonos app for iOS or Android

• From the Settings tab, tap Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos app for Mac or PC

• Select Help > Submit Diagnostics.

Let us know if this helps. 

@Krishma M I’ve been working with someone at Sonos called Nik P for over a week now we have tried far more than your suggestions and it is still tediously slow on 2 of our devices (an iPad 6 and iPhone 6s).  Also Amazon music and Bandcamp do not work at all now.  We have a Mac, 2x iPad 6 and 2x iPhone 6s, so we have an iPad and an iPhone that work and an iPad and iPhone that take around a minute to get a selection on Apple Music!!

Why is my comment being reviewed by a moderator first?  Are you afraid I might point out how you seem to have managed the S1/S2 controller rollout really poorly. I’ve never seen this many complaints about anything Sonos have done before...

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@Krishma M I’ve been working with someone at Sonos called Nik P for over a week now we have tried far more than your suggestions and it is still tediously slow on 2 of our devices (an iPad 6 and iPhone 6s).  Also Amazon music and Bandcamp do not work at all now.  We have a Mac, 2x iPad 6 and 2x iPhone 6s, so we have an iPad and an iPhone that work and an iPad and iPhone that take around a minute to get a selection on Apple Music!!

Hi @Taz_tasman, thanks for replying. How were you assisted? Did you contact our phone support team? About the Amazon Music and Bandcamp issue, is it happening to all of your devices? You can reply with the confirmation number of your diagnostic so we can check it on our side as well. Just let us know if you need anything.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Why is my comment being reviewed by a moderator first?  Are you afraid I might point out how you seem to have managed the S1/S2 controller rollout really poorly. I’ve never seen this many complaints about anything Sonos have done before...

I’m not sure what happened but I already restored your post. Sorry if you feel that way but we’re always here to help. 

​​​​

@Krishma M the Amazon and Bandcamp issue applies to all controllers. The Apple Music issue just applies to 2 devices.

I contacted Sonos by phone on 16th June (10 days ago). Since then there has been a lot of email correspondence in both directions but we are no closer to resolving the issues. The case number is 018*****. 

I have also asked if it possible to revert back to S1, as it was only after I upgraded that the problems occurred. 

I would really love to have my Sonos system working normally again, so any help would be appreciated. But please understand after 10 days trying to get a solution I’m getting very frustrated.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

@Krishma M the Amazon and Bandcamp issue applies to all controllers. The Apple Music issue just applies to 2 devices.

I contacted Sonos by phone on 16th June (10 days ago). Since then there has been a lot of email correspondence in both directions but we are no closer to resolving the issues. The case number is 018*****. 

I have also asked if it possible to revert back to S1, as it was only after I upgraded that the problems occurred. 

I would really love to have my Sonos system working normally again, so any help would be appreciated. But please understand after 10 days trying to get a solution I’m getting very frustrated.

Hi @Taz_tasman.

Your case has been escalated. Just keep an eye on your email for the next update. 

Thanks!

Badge

Same here have been having trouble accessing, selecting players since Sonos releasedS2, it’s slow like hell and regularly requires restarting the app, also here working with Sonos support on the matter and did get same response.. ohh we didn’t know, u are the first blabla...😭😭😭

anyway decided writing email to Sonos CEO, telling him Sonosnet2.0 splitting Gen1 &Gen2 speakers releasing S2 is worst experience ever. Suggest more impacted Sonos customers to directly target the CEO (his email adress can be found on the Sonos website or patrick.spence@sonos.com )

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

If it’s working with other controllers/devices maybe you need to remove the Sonos app to the specific device you’re having issues with and restart your phone. After restarting, try to install the Sonos S2 App again. If that won’t work try to check for updates on your phone and submit a diagnostic for further details on our side. 

Here’s how you Submit a diagnostic:

Sonos app for iOS or Android

• From the Settings tab, tap Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos app for Mac or PC

• Select Help > Submit Diagnostics.

Let us know if this helps. 

Hi @xxx3Xxxx, thanks for reaching out and letting us know about that. No worries, we’re here to help you. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the S2 app? Also, rebooting your phone or trying on another device? You can check the steps above as well and reply to us with the confirmation number of your diagnostic. Thanks!  

Badge

Thanks for the suggestions, tried zillion of things.  Only constant, nothing changed same devices, same router/switches, same network, same provider..’ what did change ? Simple Sonos releasing sonosnet2.0, there most buggy, troublesome, slow(est) release ever.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @xxx3Xxxx, is it the same problem with a different device? Can you please tell us what are the steps that you’ve done? So we would know how to proceed from here and submit a diagnostic of your system to further check it on our end. Thanks!

Removing the app and rebooting? These are the trouble shooting nuggets that you’re feeding us? It’s like getting tech support tips from my grandmother. 

let’s face it. You pushed out a throughly untested build, effectively bricking users systems including my own. To make matters worse I’ve been forced to take the S2 update, so I can’t even revert to a working S1 build, which was working fine. 

I was a supporter of Sonos closed network because you guys had done a good job allowing the system to perform without issue (even if it is mesh network which I do not like). But this S2 update is a true disaster. It shows me just how fragile your system functionality is. This may go down as the worst update since Westworld.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @Sonosplayer88, thanks for reaching out. We greatly appreciate the support and apologize if you’ve had to deal with this. I’ll do all my best here to help you out to get your system working smoothly again. Just let me know more about it. You can also submit a diagnostic to further check your system if necessary. Just reply to us with the confirmation number. We’re always here. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Please be nice to the Sonos staff, they aren’t the ones making the decisions, they just have to deal with the results and that job sucks.

I was never so happy as the day I quit doing support as a part of my job and having to endure venting customers. Worse, even though the customers were right I couldn’t admit it or I’d have been fired.

Badge

Would agree, Sonos support staff are at the mercy of Sonos executives taking wrong, inadequate  decisions releasing buggy, beta software to the public without providing an option to rollback, revert to original S1 mode.

sonosnet 2.0 is a disaster, even their own support staff (privately) admitting the same with support calls skyrocketing 

Worst update ever, putting off long term fans, not bringing any value, new features (apart from Arc)  to existing customer base, only frustration, anger due to slowness.

Sonos used to be leaders in their space combining great design, good sound with ease of use. Unfortunately this is no longer the case, now it comes with overpriced speakers, lagging behind competition in terms of features and broken, non performant, buggy, sluggish App.

As said, don’t blame Support engineers, do not ventilate your frustration  on them, instead write emails to their CEO, to Sonos management team… or alternatively replace your speakers with competitors products and stop buying 

Badge

And yes I’ve reported case to Sonos support, submitted diagnostics, worked with engineers for 2 hours investigating matters…  support even remotely rebooted speakers, updating specific setting. Tried both wired, Sonosnet-mesh or WiFi based comms

bottomline, nothing wrong with speakers, nor with WiFi, not with Mesh-network… just crappy S2 software(although they cannot admit this publicly for obvious reasons)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Try SonoPad from the App Store, I find it a lot quicker than the official apps most of the time.