Should I send my replacement Five back?

• 29 September 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I had a Five go down and Sonos replaced it with a refurbished unit, which I just received. The replacement works fine functionally (produces audio normally, setup works fine, etc.) Cosmetically however the speaker grill cover does not seem to be fully adhered to the rest of the unit in a few places… i.e. it doesn’t sit completely flush by .5cm and I can push it down a wee bit to make it flush. The grill cover on my other Fives are completely flush and firmly attached to the unit without moving. I am assuming this is the case with my replacement because they had to remove the grill cover to inspect the speakers or something.

Functionally it’s not an issue at all but it is something on the back of my mind that bothers me. I’m debating sending it back however (1) it would be annoying to go through all that and (2) it’s possible that I’d get a unit that’s in worse shape since they only send you refurbs for RMA replacement.

Question: I’m just curious what other people would do here in this case. Would you keep the slightly imperfect replacement or send it back hoping to get one that is in perfect shape like their new units? I’m going back and forth myself and am just looking for some perspective.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Honestly, I would just keep it. I’ve found, over the years, that speakers tend to fade into the mental “background” of my room, and I don’t “see” them like I do the first day. At this point, I don’t notice my Sonos devices, particularly, so they don’t have the same visual impact to me. 

However, I also have low tolerance to the whole “I need to pack it back up, and get it to the shipper” issue, too. Your milage may vary. But you asked for opinions. :)

I think a photo showing the issue might help people to give their viewpoint. 

I’m often able to live with such things, as long as visitors to our Home are not going to notice it and it’s not staring me in the face everyday & sticking out like a sore thumb.👍

Badge +1

Appreciate the opinions so far!

I think a photo showing the issue might help people to give their viewpoint. 

I’m often able to live with such things, as long as visitors to our Home are not going to notice it and it’s not staring me in the face everyday & sticking out like a sore thumb.👍

I don’t think the surface is raised enough that it would even show up much in the picture. Honestly it’s only really noticeable if you handle the unit and push down on the grill. Staring at it from the side you can see it’s slightly raised, but not noticeable when looking directly at the front.

I would probably keep it without hesitation if it was a cheaper unit like a Roam, but these Fives are pretty darn expensive and knowing that it’s imperfect bothers me. That said, as another poster mentioned this may fade into the mental background over time. Leaning towards just keeping it the more I think about it, unless anyone here has any experiences to share with their refurbs that would sway me the other way (i.e. the grill being a little loose being a bad sign that something else may fail).

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

If you aren’t happy with it ,,send it back. 

If you look at @Dogdad 's other posts you will ser that he is annoyed at a perceived problem with his system, and he may be giving you this advice as much to inconvenience Sonos as to help you.

Having said that, I tend to agree with him on this - it would nag at me, knowing that it was cosmetically imperfect and wondering if it indicated some other problem was likely.  If rhe original failed within warranty and was in perfect cosmetic condition, I suspect I would call Sonos to express (calmly and politely) my dissatisfaction and (hopefully) get agreement to a replacement replacement.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

If you look at @Dogdad 's other posts you will ser that he is annoyed at a perceived problem with his system, and he may be giving you this advice as much to inconvenience Sonos as to help you.

Having said that, I tend to agree with him on this - it would nag at me, knowing that it was cosmetically imperfect and wondering if it indicated some other problem was likely.  If rhe original failed within warranty and was in perfect cosmetic condition, I suspect I would call Sonos to express my dissatisfaction and (hopefully) get agreement to a replacement replacement.

This post made me LOL.