setting up volume

• 20 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Just got a new Sony tv and Sonos playbar from Costco. 

Every time I try and sync the tv remote it doesn’t line up properly (ie when tv volume is at zero you and still hear sound from play bar). Other times it is very soft from playbar while tv is at high levels - ie over 50 (of 100) on tv. 

I was doing this with an Apple TV remote and read in the forums better to factory reset and set up with actual tv remote then use Apple TV after the fact. 

None of this seemed to resolve the issue. :/ 

Appreciate any thoughts you have. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

How are you connecting the TV to PLAYBAR? I don’t recall the TV settings menu, but you must turn OFF the TV’s internal speakers.

I did turn off the internal tv speakers. It seems to be more having to do with aligning the volume settings on the sound bar (physical device or thru sonos app) w/ the TV settings. For example, I think i was able to get it better dialed in when i

1. turned tv volume to zero
  2. went to the sonos app...moved volume to zero
  3. then use tv remote to turn up volume
  4. i was then able to use the apple tv remote as well...but it did seem that a one click up on my apple tv remote was different than one click up on my sony tv remote (i know that sounds weird), but seemed to be the case when i tried to turn it back zero (i.e. no sound)….b/c the sound bar would go off, but the tv volume level would still read 1 or 2...

this seemed to work...although i’ll have to see how it hangs in over time...in the past, it has appeared that it continues to get out of sync the more it is used...

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying that you can drive PLAYBAR’s audio output to zero, but the TV’s onscreen display may not go to zero? 

If you have the SONY set to external speakers, I’m surprised that it’s Volume indicator is still active. Is there a setting for Optical output on that TV? If so, that should eliminate the TV’s Volume indicator.