Answered

"Server cannot be found" until I restart router

• 4 March 2022
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

I’m using Sonos S1 with a Sonos ZP100, a Sonos 3, and a couple of Sonos 1s. My music library is stored on a mac mini, called Desktop. I’m using an Eero gateway router and also have an Eero beacon. My setup can work, except frequently (perhaps daily) I get the message:

Unable to play ‘song name’-cannot connect to //Desktop/Music because the server cannot be found

I try all sorts of things to resolve the problem, fiddling with settings in Sonos and on my Mac, rebooting Sonos components or the Mac, but the only thing that resolves the issue is restarting my Eero gateway. So I can’t figure out if the issue lies in the desktop, the Sonos components, or the Eero. Restarting the router daily is obviously very disruptive.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 March 2022, 00:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Since you’re running a mesh network, your best bet for Sonos is to be in a wired setup ( see the wired and wireless modes FAQ ) so a Sonos device, either a speaker or a BOOST/BRIDGE should be wired to your base eero device, and not the beacon. 

Once the system switches over to wired, you should remove Wifi data from your Sonos controller, so there’s no chance of the system waffling between the two connection methods.

That will most likely resolve your needs for any reboots. And fairly easy to test, since any of your speakers can be the wired one. 

I’m assuming you have PLAY:3 and PLAY:1s, since there are no Sonos 3 or Sonos 1 devices. 

Ah, that’s good news, except that my eero only has one RJ45 out, and it’s dedicated to another device. Though I can test over the weekend.

Hmmm. Depending on the device….the key thing is that you’re trying to maintain all Sonos on a single subnet. If I’m not mistaken, eero uses different subnets, with the same SSID/password for each device, which breaks the intercommunication between Sonos devices.  You want the “root” Sonos device to be connected to the “root”/router/DHCP device, which is usually the base “puck”.

Random thought….there’s no reason why an unmanaged 4 port switch off that base puck would be bad for Sonos and whatever that other device is to connect to. 

I recommend using IP address “Reservation” for the SONOS units.