Server cannot be found

  • 12 January 2019
  • 3 replies
  • 155 views

I recently purchased a new laptop with windows 10 and imported my music library and iTunes from my old computer to my new computer. When I try to play songs from my music library and/or playlist I sometimes get the following error (Unable to play 'name of song" - cannot connect to // LAPTOP NAME/Music because the server cannot be found. This problem does not always exist and sometimes my Sonos works without fail. Please help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Is it possible that you have some energy savings settings such that your hard drive is going to sleep? That would cause exactly the symptoms you describe.
Thanks Bruce

I did change my hard drive settings to never sleep but the issue still seems to persist. I have read some other forums......is it possible that the name of my new computer is messing things up???? I have disabled my firewall completely to see if this has any positive effect (nope), and under "windows features on and off" I have made sure that (SMB 1.0/CIFS Server) is checked.

I have had my SONOS system for approx. 4 years and have never had an issue.....the system has always been reliable. I bought a new computer and know have these issues........very frustrating.
Not an expert in this area, so I'm trying to be cautious about what I tell you.

Yes, there's a possibility that the name of the computer may be too long, or have special characters that are not allowed (by Sonos) in the name. I'm pretty sure most of that is covered in the FAQ here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

Hmm, on reading that link, I don't see any of those potential caveats. If I remember from other threads, there shouldn't be any spaces, or non-alpha characters, and it shouldn't be longer than 15 characters long. Remember, you're better off checking with Sonos support on this on Twitter or Facebook than relying on my memory.

The problem with this is that an "invalid" name wouldn't cause a "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" as you described. It would just not work at all, now that you've moved to a new computer, and re-entered the library pointer. It's the "sometimes it works" part which led me to conclude that the hard drive wasn't available at times, which generally is a hard drive going to sleep.

I suppose the other possibility could be a duplicate IP address issue. Turn off your computer, then power cycle the router, then boot the computer back up. That might help.