Answered

Serious latency when trying to control Sonos. Further, often music cuts out

Hi there,

I hope you can help. We have been suffering from major latency in our Sonos system. It is not unusual to have to wait up to five seconds to start, pause or advance a track.

Also, and separately, music often cuts out. Periodically the music will stop from the speakers (but my phone still "thinks" that the music is playing). If I try to pause during these circumstances, the latency problem continues.

I do live in a building that has a concrete frame and have purposely bought a Sonos Boost to increase Wifi signal through the walls. I generally do not experience difficulties with Wifi on other devices (laptops, phones, etc.).

Diagnostic Nr. 942355789

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks and kind regards,

j
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 14 August 2018, 23:56

hanseyankee wrote:

Hi there,

I hope you can help. We have been suffering from major latency in our Sonos system. It is not unusual to have to wait up to five seconds to start, pause or advance a track.

Also, and separately, music often cuts out. Periodically the music will stop from the speakers (but my phone still "thinks" that the music is playing). If I try to pause during these circumstances, the latency problem continues.

I do live in a building that has a concrete frame and have purposely bought a Sonos Boost to increase Wifi signal through the walls. I generally do not experience difficulties with Wifi on other devices (laptops, phones, etc.).

Diagnostic Nr. 942355789

j

Hi hanseyankee,

Welcome to the community. Most of the time symptoms like you've described are due to wireless interference or network congestion of some sort. In your report I see that there are some wireless communication errors between your Sonos units. Please try changing the wireless channel your system is using and see if that helps.

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
hanseyankee wrote:

Hi there,

Diagnostic Nr. 942355789

j

Hi hanseyankee,

Welcome to the community. Most of the time symptoms like you've described are due to wireless interference or network congestion of some sort. In your report I see that there are some wireless communication errors between your Sonos units. Please try changing the wireless channel your system is using and see if that helps.
Badge
It IS A SONOS DESIGN OR PROGRAMMING ISSUE! They need to either fix their problem, tell people the truth, that if in their laboratory, not real world, they work great. However, SONOS insists on some outside source of the problem. I too believed their line, until I FIXED my entire system, including my WiFi network. As far as I know, the CONNECT uses the router you are Etherneted into for the SONOS WiFi radio signal. If not, it’s really a mess. Having retired from our government’ s National Laboratory system, as a researcher, working on the most advanced technology in the world, with last ~ eight years as an RAB Certied ISO 9000 Quality Systems Lead Auditor ( audited many advanced technology systems including reactors, accelerators, uranium enrichment facilities) and it IS MY OPINION that this is an issue SONOS must address to survive in the marketplace. My system does the same things and in the last two months I have spent several hundred hours trying to fix it.

1. Tried to remove latency by upgrading from DSL to Cable modem... then light speed. Upgraded to FTTH ( fiber to the home) and now have synchronous up and download speeds usually in excess of 115 Mbps. Don’t believe an issue for me now..
2. Upgraded from Netgear Nighthawk (best model I could find for home) to Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi. Model RBK44 I think. Router plus three satellites for said to be about 10,000 sq. ft. of coverage (my home is about 2,000 sqft). I then added another satellite in garage for about 12,500 sq ft. I can get C-Span radio on my WiFi across my street at my mailbox. I live in the middle of about 2.5 acres on the top of the highest ridge in our area. Please don’t try to convince me it is a WiFi issue. If it is, SONOS should either be made to disclose that their speakers don’t always work as you expect. From a strictly “ truth in advertising “(FTC) standpoint, if I were SONOS, I would fix this issue, immediately advise consumers it doesn’t always work in the intended end use environment, or go out of business. They need to focus their business more on making the BEST wireless speaker system available. Stop trying to diversify products so much until your bread and butter one works to the point that SONOS management would be 100 percent thrilled with their performance in their own homes. I am no longer as impressed with my system as I was before SONOS, I assume in response to more security updates in iOS, began the seemingly never ending updates of the past several months. Please read comments in Community from other long term SONOS customers who are saying the same. Also, SPOTIFY is a problem. I suspect interaction of Spotify Connect with SONOS software. So, with such a software pea soup, I can’t resolve this issue myself. SONOS DROPOUT is between song, music or other audio changes, anywhere there’s an interruption of signal or possibly power. If you are streaming a playlist, without interruption, NO DROPOUT.... virtually EVER. So “don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining” as Judge Judy would say and try and convince me it s in my system. SONOS NEEDS to own and fix this problem, or just say we will sell you a system that works as long as you don’t pause , change music sources, adjust the volume, or upset the signal in any way.
I truly don’t believe this is a consumer issue st this point. SONOS was told of this problem long ago enough to either fix it, admit defeat, or something other than one more time.... blame the customer for buying their not quite ready for market products.
My other suspicion (I was not an ELECTRICAL engineer) is that somewhere, in an effort to save energy, there are switches in the SONOS design which not sensing a certain threshold signal, shut down, and when signal resumes, do not start the speakers fast enough. I have a Porsche that if you don’t override, turns off engine at stop lights (stupid government energy saving requirement). It too comes back to life with a signal input of the accelerator. I don’t use that frustrating feature either.
Verify for yourself. Read past Community complaints. Gotta go. My SONOS speakers just cut out again when low volume passage came on and only in certain rooms. My system problem? Maybe, but none of us live in an RF free world (laboratory) so if SONOS doesn’t work in real world environments , why are they selling it there?
Badge
Can anyone remember MUZAK?
Badge
Note to SONOS... company I purchased my extensive system from , makes NO MENTION of either any of your products or even your name. They are selling your competitors products. Is this the first crack in your marketing armor?
If you would like to see your system work or not in the real world... here’s your invitation. Let me know when an engineer will be here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Wow.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Take a breath. Your post is just an ill conceived rant from someone who is unhappy. (Using the TV show Judge Judy as any kind of reference does not instill confidence in a persons approach to life.)
2. Ask for help. Whinge about something and most shrug their shoulders and turn their backs - there is no point helping someone who is already ranting.
3. Submit a diagnostic and post the number up here. There are Sonos employees here who will help all people with problems - even when the person with the problem is ranting and throwing ridiculous accusations.

Have you checked the list of incompatible hardware? Some routers struggle with Sonos communication protocols, as Sonos can set up it's own mesh network. Maybe your Mesh network is conflicting with that?

And finally - if everyone is struggling with Sonos as such a poor quality product, why isn't the market flooded with second hand bis of kit? I am keeping my eyes open for a Sub and a playbar/playbase/beam and as we didn't get the "Superbowl" sale in the UK I haven't bought anything yet. I'd love to see the market flooded with cheap second hand stuff! It isn't. Most of the second hand stuff in the UK is listed for more than the sale prices just after Christmas. That doesn't say poor quality product to me.
Badge
A suggestion. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Badge
Who wants used KIT THAT NEVER WORKED?
Badge
Would you buy an automobile that only ran on a specific type of petroleum? I wouldn’t
Badge
Which specific routers are not compatible? Better let Netgear know their latest, greatest product doesn’t work with SONOS. Bet they too will be all broken up about it.
Badge
Getting nowhere AGAIN. Either tell me specifically how to fix this or I’ll forget this ridiculous thread and say goodbye. btw- I be contacted SONOS tech support with “Diagnostics” , performed everyday they suggeste with negative results. I have fixed things beyond your limited imagination with less difficulty. The reason there’s no used market is because at the low price point and new competing units almost as cheap, who would buy something that may never work?
Not a rant. Have plenty of air. Just the logical conclusion of an admitted limited root cause analysis, but why don’t you look back to at least as far as I did,2015, trrying desperately to find a solution. All I found was my same issues with SONOS giving same advice today,which for has not resolved the problem in a manner that it stays fixed. Sorry you don’t understand that it is frustrating when manufacturers deliver products not quite turnkey for the consumer. When was last time you were expected to fix an RCA, Phillips, GE, product yourself. They did the research and work necessary to deliver a fully fleshed out product, without having to call or write “Tech Support”, thru Twitter every few weeks.
If the same wheel kept falling off a vehicle you were manufacturing for years, wouldn’t try and fix it? Read the SONOS Community posts . It is a pervasive on going issue that SONOS at least that I’ve seen never accept s any responsibility. I missed the warnings that it may not work with Netgear mesh system purchased at local big box electronics store. Grow up
Badge
Won’t be using this site much more. I don’t want SONOS COMMUNITY cookies and like ransom ware, keeps getting in my way.Didn’t help me fix a thing. More frustration with product instability. My comments about not stable enough for average consumer because of the extremely large number of variables that can apparently effect this system and the complexities of the technical fixes (which to date, do not fix ROOT CAUSES as the issue ALWAYS returns) disappeared the first time I was drafting them.
My SONOS system requires more time and effort than most consumers want to spend. Is SONOS an audiophile’s do it yourself hobby or a home entertainment system my 64 year old non- technical spouse can install and keep running when I’m gone? She will not spend the kind of time I waste on technical maintenance and updates. It will fall into disuse.
SONOS, remember the televisions, radios, any major appliances you purchased a few years ago? The manufacturers didn’t set up a hard to use Twitter communication system for support. Things were expected to work out of the box and DID. This fast underdeveloped product lifecycle WILL come back to haunt all of us . There really is no substitute for a quality product that shows its manufacturing management cared enough to make sure the end user was not also their main quality data feedback. TQM - GONE IN AMERICA ! Will SONOS become a
marketplace dinosaur? Only time will tell . We’ll see.
Badge
One more thing. The system was doing SAME THING with Netgear Nighthawk (non-mesh). So, unless it too is on the incompatible list(not gonna check) that’s not the issue. Do you or some close friend or relative work for SONOS? You sure seem biased.
I’m stating FACTS not fairy tale temporary fixes.
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Good grief!

I hope you enjoy the other parts of your life.
One word: PARAGRAPHS.
theauditor wrote:

(I was) Systems Lead Auditor - audited many advanced technology systems including reactors, accelerators, uranium enrichment facilities

My guess is there was a slight leak at some point and it has perhaps had an effect on your network. Did you take early retirement by any chance?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings