SD music on MacBook

• 8 February 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi, I’ve just moved my music library onto an SD card and it’s working perfectly for my Music app on the MacBook. However, Sonos will not recognise it as a music folder so now I can’t see my music library on Sonos. SD card is all formatted correctly and working fine otherwise. Please does anyone have any ideas / fixes I could try? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Thanks for your reply. The SD is formatted correctly as Mac OS extended, it also needs to be that to work with the Music app which reads it fine. Unfortunately Sonos app will not recognise it. I will check the xml file though as this might be a reason.

thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @harvey818,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

In macOS, Sonos will not recognize a music folder if the music library is located on a hard drive that’s formatted using an unsupported file system. On a Mac, the Sonos app can only share folders on external drives formatted using the Mac OS Extended (or HFS+) file system. If the external drive is formatted in FAT32, NTFS, or ExFAT, Sonos will not be able to add a shared music folder from the drive. SD cards are Fat or eXFaT. Sonos allows you to stream your music library from any computer, or network-attached storage drive, to your Sonos system.

You can use music software like Apple’s Music app and Windows Media Player to save your playlists in your computer’s default music folder. Check the My Music folder to make sure your music has been added to Sonos by following the steps in our article on adding your music library. Sonos can import playlists from the Music app on macOS as well as the iTunes app on macOS by reading the app’s music library XML file. Additionally, Sonos supports M3U, WPL, and PLS playlist files created with software like WinAmp and Windows Media Player. If your playlist is saved in another format, Sonos cannot import it into your music library.

Hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions, additional feature requests, or concerns. We are always happy to help out.