Samsung UN55KS8000

I own a Playbar and a Samsung UN55KS8000. I cannot get the Samsung smart remote to pair with the Playbar and control sound. My TV did not come with an IR blaster.

What can I do? I do not want to use a universal or separate remote.

What steps must I take to control the Playbar sound with my Samsung smart remote?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 1
Ok. I have the same TV in 60 inch and I figure it out!!! I have my playbar connected to the TV with optical cable and when I am watching TV (either thru blu ray player or apps on TV), I can control playbar volume thru the TV remote. Here is what you need to do:
1. Connect the playbar to tv. TV home menu -> Settings -> Audio out. Set it to optical
2. Go to TV home menu -> source -> Universal Remote
3. Add new Device. Pick home theatre. Type Sonos and then it asks for model number. Enter PLAYBAR. Now it will ask you to do power test. Since Sonos doesn't have power off - just say "yes" it worked.
4. This is where we all get stuck 🙂 The remote should start sending IR commands, but it doesn't. So you can't teach playbar IR commands yet.
5. Now you go back to Univeral Remote menu (step 2). Click on the Sonos device that you added in Step 3. To me it showed few options - one was Samsung blu ray player (which is connected to my TV) but I think there was another "Cable something" even though I have nothing else connected to the TV. I selected the "Bluray option". I think you can select any other option. Then the TV asks you which HDMI input is this source and you pick the right input (actually I don't know if you need to pick the right input, any input might do). Then finish this setup by following any prompts.
6. Now if you go back to Universal Remote menu (step 2), you will a combined device (Samsung-Sonos). Mine is called Samsung as I set up the blu ray as Samsung device since it is from Samsung.
7. Now your remote is ready to send IR commands. Open the remote setup menu in Sonos app and teach it. Sonos will immediately say that remote recognized and you are Done!

Note1: Now it doesn't matter if my blu ray player is on or not. I can control the volume for both blu ray video and TV apps video.
Note2: TV has to be on for the remote to send IR commands. If you turn off the TV, remote stops sending IR commands. For me this isn't a huge deal as if I play sonos from my phone, I just use the phone to control the volume, but I hope Samsung fixes this too.

Conclusion: It's all Samsung's fault and I hope they fix this as this must be affecting all sound bars. The good news is that the samsung remote can emit IR commands. This is why Samsung didn't put IR out port in the TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm pretty sure that you'll need an IR blaster of some sort so that your TV can send out infrared signals. Then, depending on how configurable the TV is, if you can tell it to send out IR signals for a stereo receiver or something, you can program the Playbar to respond to those IR codes to adjust the volume. But without an IR blaster, I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to control the Playbar volume with your TV remote since it's only an RF remote.
I have followed the above, and was able to configure it to work with 2 HDMI ports. Good find!

It still wouldn't allow me to do it with more than 2 ports though. That's the maximum number of devices you can define for some reason.

I have a thread open in Samsung support community as well, and have just linked this thread over there in case this can prove useful.

EDIT: In the above steps, in step 5, choose the provider as Samsung. I have my PS4 on one of the ports, and Sony worked as well.
Thanks, MikeV. That is helpful.

I'm curious if anyone has this specific TV (in any size) that has found a suitable workaround.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Thanks, MikeV. That is helpful.

I'm curious if anyone has this specific TV (in any size) that has found a suitable workaround.

I used a lesser used remote for my BT Vision box

Also. If I remember my Samsung TV was supplied with an IR repeater - have a look see if you got one of those
I have the same setup. The TV did not come with an IR blaster but it did give options to setup a Sonos Playbar. Set that up but it wouldn't turn on/off the Playbar - any ideas?
This is the only advice I am aware of:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2424/~/configure-sonos-playbar-with-samsung-smart-remotes
although @instantturtle - like all Sonos devices, the Playbar doesn't really turn on or off. Sonos devices are designed to be permanently on.
The new samsung tv's do not have support for an IR blaster, they only got an IR receiver.
I have also tried the "Universal Remote Control" setup and selected Sonos in the list and optical as the source.
If you ignore the power test and answer yes that it works then try and train the remote using the sonos app nothing happens.
But if you select one of the hdmi outputs then you can train the remote using the sonos app.

Setting the output to one of the hdmi ports creates another problem that every time you press vol +/- then the tv will jump to the hdmi port.
This is very annoying when using the built-in apps on the tv.
I wonder if some of us (well, me, certainly) have incorrectly jumped to the assumption that this concerns an RF remote. Does this other current thread shed any light?

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/amazon-samsung-smart-tv-remote-6738102
Thanks for the reference but unfortunately no luck. It's odd since the Samsung TV shows the Playbar as an option under the universal remote setups but it won't respond with the volume buttons (even after byassing the on/off state). Could it be because the Samsung uses RF?
If we are talking about the Samsung "Smart Remote" than my understanding is that that is RF, in which case I don't see any way it's going to control the Playbar without an IR blaster. But the other thread, at least in part, and possibly @OddArneP on this thread, seem to be referring to an IR remote for a Samsung Smart TV. I'm not sure everyone is talking about the same remote or the same issue.
I have the same problem with Sonos control on the new KS8000. No IR blaster or port for one. It's a pain to have to use two remotes. Seems to me that some technology advance is needed here by one manufacturer or the other. Sonos sound is magnificent with this new Samsung rig and 4k discs
So from what I gather:

A. Sonos uses IR/Wireless for its remote (?)
B. The Samsung KS8000 uses RF/Bluetooth for its remote (?)
C. There is no adapter for the Sonos to use RF/Bluetooth nor one for the Samsung to use IR/Wireless.

So from that, we can deduce that the two won't talk to each other which is strange since the Samsung universal remote configuration includes the Sonos Playbar as an option.

Does that about sum it up?
Userlevel 2
Badge
From what I've read, the KS8000 remote uses IR for the power on/off, but *bluetooth* for all other functionality.

Given that, it seems unlikely that we'll be able to find a way to control volume of the TV outside of the Sonos app, which is a real bummer! 😞
On my KS9500, if I select the output port as optical when defining the Playbar as the home theater, I get volume control via the remote on the TV source, but non of the HDMIs.
If I select the output as one of the HDMIs, I get volume control there but on none of the others.

My current workaround is setting up 2 home theater "definitions" on the TV - one on TV source, and the other on the HDMI source I use the most. Still very inconvenient, but it gets me through the day.

I have posted a message on the Samsung forums, hopefully I'll get an answer.
That did it! Thank you simplelife!! I got it paired with my AppleTV but now it works fine.
Hi, I have the KS9500 as well in Dubai, I don't have terrestrial TV nor satellite, I have 2 android boxes, Apple TV and WDTV. From the above I can surmise that I can only program 2 of my sources to work with playbar, what other options do I have for controlling the volume apart from using my phone. Thats fine for me but the wife is useless at these things and need it be idiot proof.
Many thanks simplelife! I bought UE65KS8000 only with a Samsung smart remote, and the playbar+sub for my new house, I will try your method soon. I heard that some of the KS8000 model comes with a extra conventional TV remote, can I ask the remote you mentioned to be working in your method is the smart or conventional one? Thank you!
Userlevel 1
Apeyrosis, I got only a single smart remote with my tv.
Ok. I have the same TV in 60 inch and I figure it out!!! I have my playbar connected to the TV with optical cable and when I am watching TV (either thru blu ray player or apps on TV), I can control playbar volume thru the TV remote. Here is what you need to do:
1. Connect the playbar to tv. TV home menu -> Settings -> Audio out. Set it to optical
2. Go to TV home menu -> source -> Universal Remote
3. Add new Device. Pick home theatre. Type Sonos and then it asks for model number. Enter PLAYBAR. Now it will ask you to do power test. Since Sonos doesn't have power off - just say "yes" it worked.
4. This is where we all get stuck 🙂 The remote should start sending IR commands, but it doesn't. So you can't teach playbar IR commands yet.
5. Now you go back to Univeral Remote menu (step 2). Click on the Sonos device that you added in Step 3. To me it showed few options - one was Samsung blu ray player (which is connected to my TV) but I think there was another "Cable something" even though I have nothing else connected to the TV. I selected the "Bluray option". I think you can select any other option. Then the TV asks you which HDMI input is this source and you pick the right input (actually I don't know if you need to pick the right input, any input might do). Then finish this setup by following any prompts.
6. Now if you go back to Universal Remote menu (step 2), you will a combined device (Samsung-Sonos). Mine is called Samsung as I set up the blu ray as Samsung device since it is from Samsung.
7. Now your remote is ready to send IR commands. Open the remote setup menu in Sonos app and teach it. Sonos will immediately say that remote recognized and you are Done!

Note1: Now it doesn't matter if my blu ray player is on or not. I can control the volume for both blu ray video and TV apps video.
Note2: TV has to be on for the remote to send IR commands. If you turn off the TV, remote stops sending IR commands. For me this isn't a huge deal as if I play sonos from my phone, I just use the phone to control the volume, but I hope Samsung fixes this too.

Conclusion: It's all Samsung's fault and I hope they fix this as this must be affecting all sound bars. The good news is that the samsung remote can emit IR commands. This is why Samsung didn't put IR out port in the TV.

I have a series 8 curved UA55KS8500W and everything worked except the last bit. I still cant get the remote to control the sound, though when u press the button the symbol appears on the tv like the sound bar is registering it but it still wont connect in the set up 😞
Hi, simplelife, today I tried your method and my smart remote control works great with the playbar, much appreciated for your kind post!
Simplelife - got it to work over the weekend! Thanks. Was driving me crazy because no matter what I did not sound - but all was solved once I discovered I had a bad optical cable (my fault, not Sonos).

I now have Playbar working with Samsung 8000 series. I am actually controlling the playbar with a TIVO remote & running TIVO for my TV control. Prior to that though I was able to control soundbar with Samsung smart remote. Also have Xbox set up with the system & that runs through soundbar as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The last thing I did before I got rid of my Sony receiver was program my Playbar to use its volume up/down remote codes. Now I just tell whatever device can control the volume - Apple TV, Samsung TV, etc. - to use Sony remote codes, and it works great! On the Samsung TV though, you need to make sure that you add the "Home Theater" component to other components too (i.e. Apple TV, Xbox, cable box, etc.), otherwise the volume control may not work when using those inputs.
I have followed the above, and was able to configure it to work with 2 HDMI ports. Good find!

It still wouldn't allow me to do it with more than 2 ports though. That's the maximum number of devices you can define for some reason.

I have a thread open in Samsung support community as well, and have just linked this thread over there in case this can prove useful.

EDIT: In the above steps, in step 5, choose the provider as Samsung. I have my PS4 on one of the ports, and Sony worked as well.

One major issue is dealing with the smart remote and the ps4. If you enable HDMI-CEC so that the "smart remote" can control the PS4, it breaks the volume control of the sonos playbar. Samsung needs to fix the smart remote so that it can issue volume commands regardless of what input you mind the device too.

The logic which Samsung uses does not make sense. I'm sure almost all cases there is only one home theater system. Thus when enable limit only certain inputs form using the home theater option?