Samsung TV not outputting Dolby Digital 5.1 to Beam

• 21 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Equipment

TV - Samsung 55” UN55F6350AF

1 - Sonos Beam

2 - Play:1

Amazon 4k Firestick

I strictly use my Amazon Firestick to mainly watch Netflix and tv shows through the Sling app. I have no desire to use my tv’s built in apps. The tv also does not have the Sling app built in. When I look in my Sonos app it shows that it is broadcasting in Stereo while watching anything via my firetick even though the Netflix movie says 5.1. There is sound coming from the rear Play:1’s though. Not sure if that is a generic surround sound as I am not  a audiophile. When I use the built in Netflix app on my tv the Sonos app will say it is receiving Dolby Digital 5.1 for the same movie on Netflix. I have the Beam connected via Arc and Firestick to HDMI. I have tried switching the Beam to optical and no change. I have gone over all the sound settings on my tv and firestick and nothing worked. I have read that it is possible that my tv does not convert the audio and push it out to the Beam so I purchased a Audio Extractor Converter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HHSJVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried all possible combinations and setting using this device with the Firestick and Beam and I still get the Stereo reading via the app. TV audio settings, optical vs HDMI, different HDMI ports, ARC ports. I am going crazy trying to figure this out. Is there a another device I need to purchase. What is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies

Awesome help here

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

IF (and its a big if) the Firestick can be told to emit DD 5.1 (and not DTS), you likely need an EDID faker between the Firestick and the Samsung. Older Samsung’s will not pass DD5.1 from HDMI over optical without “persuasion”. I have no experience of using an audio extractor for this, but I did use a EDID faker successfully, until I upgraded my Samsung to a newer one with less deficiencies.