Answered

Samsung TV + Apple TV + Sonos BEAM suddenly stopped working

• 20 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

I have a Beam (Gen 2) hooked up to my Samsung TV and Apple TV box. Everything has worked like a charm for the last year or so.

Having changed nothing, as of last night, I suddenly have no sound through the Anynet+ (Samsung HDMI-CEC) connection. Sonos still works fine via Airplay 2 with other devices. The TV sees the Sonos Beam, but when I increase the volume, rather than registering a volume number, I get a series of dots sweeping up and then it disappears (see image 1).

I have spent several hours trying everything I can think of. I’ve powered everything off, removed the HDMI cables, turned everything back on and reconnected step by step. Everything is working -- except the sound through the Beam.

I’ve tried re-setting up the TV through the Sonos App, but I get stuck at images 2 and 3.

I’m stumped and very frustrated. If anyone could help I’d be truly grateful...

Apple TV iOS 15.6

Samsung TV 6100

icon

Best answer by Alderking 21 August 2022, 23:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge

Badge

Have you unplugged the TV and the Beam from the wall for 5 minutes, then plugged them back in? It’s unfortunately a different result than the simple powering off procedure. 

Badge

Yes, tried unplugging several times. Left both unplugged overnight, just to be sure… no change.

Hmmm. That’s definitely odd. My guess is an issue with CEC not making the appropriate connection, which fits the facts as you’ve stated them. Can you stream music to the Beam?

I would really be tempted to contact Samsung’s customer service first, and then Sonos’, although Sonos, being a trailing and relatively simple device, seems to be an unlikely suspect. My money would be on the circuitry in the TV set. 

In fact, I would be tempted to double check the settings in the TV, both to ensure it has the latest OS, and that for some odd reason, CEC hadn’t been turned off. 

Badge

Yes, I can stream music to the Beam (which is Airplay 2 compliant) with no problem.

I contacted Sonos customer service, and they helped me bypass the CEC system and use the optical connection instead. So at least I now have sound -- although it’s nothing like the Dolby 5.1 I was getting before. 

The Samsung TV is almost 10 years old and it seems they don’t support it any more. Sigh. It has the latest OS, and HDMI-CEC (which they brand as Anynet+) is turned on; everything is set exactly as it was before it stopped working. 

I have a strong hunch that the issue is actually the Apple TV box. I’ve seen various posts online that the 15.6 update and 16 beta break HDMI-CEC for some people. No words from Apple, but they generally don’t tend to be upfront about that kind of thing. Given that everything was working fine, and suddenly stopped, without any changes of settings, I think this may be the culprit. 

At least I have a workaround for now. Thanks for your thoughts!

Huh. I’ve not seen that issue with either Apple TV I have. But it’s hard to argue. Good luck!