Answered

samsung q90r tv earc update

• 12 October 2021
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

hi there this is my 1st post i currently own a sonos arc 2 one sl and sonos sub i also have a samsung qled q90r 2019 model tv and this tv has been promised earc update for almost 2 years now

well today the update for the tv came in version number 1387.1 however now when i turn on the earc mode which wasnt there before from off to auto my sonos will not produce any sound at all until i switch it back off,

on a seperate tv thread other users with samsung soundbars and various av receivers like yamaha and such all can turn this option on and benefit from the earc features

however those of us on the same forum with sonos sound systems can get nothing so far could this please be looked into with an update and if anything needs trialed or tested i am up for doing so thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 October 2021, 10:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @daryld1988 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Have you tried unplugging the TV from power for at least a couple of minutes? If not, please try.

This does ring a bell as there was an issue some time ago whereby Samsung TVs with eARC enabled and Dolby Digital + (Atmos) playing would produce no sound through a Sonos Arc. Any TV firmware release after March fixes this issue however, though the information I have is that the fix was introduced in firmware version 1462.1, which makes it look like your TV is of a different enough skew that the firmware numbering is different.

If you’re able, please try playing lossless Atmos (or multichannel LPCM) rather than Dolby Digital +, to see if the pattern matches the now-fixed faulty behaviour from before.

If rebooting the TV did not work, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Could you let me know the full model number of your TV please?

Userlevel 4
Badge

hi thanks for the response i have tried all the usual troubleshooting like powering down all systems like tv and sonos arc and such and removing hdmi cables and such for 5 minutes,

the tvs full model code is qe75q90ratxxu this is a 2019 model of tv that wasnt originally earc capable it was originally only arc capable however samsung promised to release a update to add earc as past 2 years which they did do this week with software version 1387.1 and this is the latest you can get for my tv,

i also received a system update in the sonos app today for my sonos set but this didnt fix anything either, i also contacted sonos yesterday and provided them my diagnostics and such and i wasnt able to get any further help from that particular customer service rep

its rendered my sonos arc practically unusable now as it keeps switching between tv speakers and the sonos arc now all other brands such as samsung soundbars and yamaha and onkyo have all been reported back in the tv forums as all working perfect with this update but for some reason this issue is just with sonos soundbars and this new tv update which is very frustrating for a 1500 pound sound setup 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @daryld1988 

Thanks for sharing that info - I’m going to pass it on to our engineers. I recommend you also contact Samsung support and let them know the issue. I also recommend you visit their support download pages, as sometimes they have firmware versions there that are not yet found by the TV’s in-built updating software. You may find a fix that way, but it’s admittedly a long-shot.

In the meantime, you should be able to get Dolby Digital surround sound by using the optical adaptor that came with the Arc.

Same issue. My Arc gets no audio when eARC is enabled after the update. When I unhook everything and hook my Denon back up it works fine. It looks like tons of people are having this issue with their Sonos and the 1387.1 update.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @daryld1988 

Thanks for sharing that info - I’m going to pass it on to our engineers. I recommend you also contact Samsung support and let them know the issue. I also recommend you visit their support download pages, as sometimes they have firmware versions there that are not yet found by the TV’s in-built updating software. You may find a fix that way, but it’s admittedly a long-shot.

In the meantime, you should be able to get Dolby Digital surround sound by using the optical adaptor that came with the Arc.

hi there thanks again for your response unfortunately using optical cable in my case would be out of the question as then i would be unable to use dolby atmos through connected device and atmos was my main reason for getting this system, it appears it is a handshake issue between the sonos and the tv as the tv isnt seeing it as an earc receiver which it should be doing and this is how it is shown when the tv is connected to samsung soundbars or av receivers from likes of yamaha and denon and such

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @akaglty 

Could you please let me know your TV’s model number too? Thanks.

Hi @daryld1988 

I understand completely - I was suggesting the optical connection as an alternative to silence, but on re-reading your post I see that you’re able to just disable eARC to get sound back. This is a better option. Please, disregard what I said.

I have the same problem with a Beam Gen2

My TV is a Samsung Q90R 55” and is still on 1385 firmware. 

The ONLY change is my Sonos system updated this morning and now I no longer get Atmos. I have tried resetting everything and starting again.  However it doesn’t work. 

As much as Sonos often like to blame everything else. This problem is squarely the Sonos system update as nothing else has changed with my setup. Last night I had Atmos. Today Sonos system update and now no Atmos. 

I submitted a diagnostics (no. 127721154) and so far not heard anything. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @0014 

Although mistakes are sometime made, the majority of issues that arise after an update have more to do with the fact that the unit rebooted after installing the update than to do with changes in the software. Have you tried unplugging your TV from power for at least 2 minutes? This fixes most transient issues with TV audio.

If your TV did not update to have eARC functionality, then you’re off-topic for this thread. You are very welcome to start your own topic at Ask a Question.

Submission of diagnostics does no more than that - we are not informed that you have done so and will therefore not reach out to you. Please get in touch with our technical support team should you require direct assistance. Thanks.

Hi Corry,

The reason I posted in this thread is because the issue lies with the Sonos update and nothing else. 

Since the problem arose after the update I have done the following:

• Rebooted TV
  • Rebooted Sonos 
  • Unplugged TV for 5 Mins 
  • Unplugged Sonos system for 5 Mins
  • Reset TV to factory default and setup again ensuring HDMI-CEC is on as well as input signal plus for all the HDMI ports and Dolby Atmos Compatibility is selected.
  • Reset Sonos and started again with a setup
  • Unplugged and replugged HDMI cables (I am using the cable that came with the Beam Gen2)
  • Ensured the Beam is plugged into the eARC port on the Samsung One Connect box (which is port no.3). 

Having done all of that I no longer get Atmos. Last night I was watching Rise of Skywalker through Apple TV. It was playing fine with Atmos. 

Today my system updated and since that update the Atmos does not work. This is the same with Apple TV, Netflix etc. 

So my reason for replying was to say the 1387.1 firmware is not the issue. It’s the Sonos update that seems to have broken Atmos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @0014 

Understood. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system, or at least gather data so we can work on a fix.

Userlevel 4
Badge

quite dissapointed in sonos lack of effort in regards to fixing this for a system of this price pretty much left with a half working sound system atm

Curious as to why this issue is only affecting this particular TV line, and not all the other TVs that the Arc is connected to. Is it really a Sonos issue at all? If it was, I’d think there would be reports across multiple types of TV sets. 

What am I missing? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Curious as to why this issue is only affecting this particular TV line, and not all the other TVs that the Arc is connected to. Is it really a Sonos issue at all? If it was, I’d think there would be reports across multiple types of TV sets. 

What am I missing? 

this tv only recently received a software update to enable earc support as it was originally a arc only tv i would rule sonos out of being the problem if it wasnt for the fact that on the tv owners forum all other users have reported it working with there various soundbars from samsung bose and yamaha and denon av receivers and such

plus if you type in sonos samsung earc into google its quite clear there is massive issues for some reasons for various other samsung models and sonos setups,

this is my 1st sonos setup and the 1st i have had to ask for help but the help hasnt been great at all and basically got a wait it out response in email from sonos development team after providing 4 or 5 different diagnostics to them not great service on a system of this cost

Badge

My Samsung Q90R and Sonos Arc have developed a similar problem today. Was working fine yesterday. Now I get a message saying my audio device is connected to a port that doesn’t support ARC. Please connect to HDMI3. I haven’t unplugged anything since last night and the Sonos Arc is still plugged into HDMI3. My TV is on firmware version 1385. Not sure whether my Sonos Arc has updated today. Is there a way of finding out?

To my knowledge, there have been no updates to the Arc in the last 24 hours. In your case, I’d suggest two reboots, one of the TV by unplugging it from the wall for 3 minutes, and another reboot of the Arc itself, by unplugging it from power as well, for three minutes. If you can do them simultaneously, that’s great. If not, do the TV first, then the Arc. 

Badge

To my knowledge, there have been no updates to the Arc in the last 24 hours. In your case, I’d suggest two reboots, one of the TV by unplugging it from the wall for 3 minutes, and another reboot of the Arc itself, by unplugging it from power as well, for three minutes. If you can do them simultaneously, that’s great. If not, do the TV first, then the Arc. 

Thank you. I’ve done this and all sorted. Very strange that it stopped working suddenly.

Ok so I have just received my Sonos beam gen 2 today, will I not get the full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound then? I have connected two one's also for the surround. 

When checking on Sonos app it's saying audio in Dolby digital 2.0? 

A Beam (gen 1 or gen 2) when connected via HDMI ARC, should receive whatever signal the TV is generating, and most often the full 5.1 signal. It will play 3.0 of those signals, unless you add a Sub for the .1, and a pair of surrounds for the other 2. 

This is dependent on a couple of things. 1) the TV is capable of passing a signal properly (not all older TVs can) and 2) the source being watched on (or sent to) the TV is actually in a 5.1 state. For instance, in my area, lots of daytime TV is only in stereo, so the Beam would only play a stereo signal in that case.  

A Beam (gen 1 or gen 2) when connected via HDMI ARC, should receive whatever signal the TV is generating, and most often the full 5.1 signal. It will play 3.0 of those signals, unless you add a Sub for the .1, and a pair of surrounds for the other 2. 

This is dependent on a couple of things. 1) the TV is capable of passing a signal properly (not all older TVs can) and 2) the source being watched on (or sent to) the TV is actually in a 5.1 state. For instance, in my area, lots of daytime TV is only in stereo, so the Beam would only play a stereo signal in that case.  

Ah ok, is there a channel or even Netflix programs I take it which support 5.1 that can check on I presume... If so il have a look on Netflix as sure seen 5.1 showing on it. 

I presume I just need to check the details when watching on the Sonos app see what it's getting. 

I have not got the supplied HDMI plugged into the Sonos beam as I needed a longer 5m cable and using one bought from eBay - HDMI Cable - Compatible to HDMI 2.0a/b/1.4a UHD Ultra HD 4K HDR 3D 1080p 2160p ARC TV LED. 

I've noticed that I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 when watching Netflix programs for example which is good, when on sky though it's saying Dolby Digital 2.0 is there a way to change this so it's 5.1? 

When on PS5 it's saying Stero PCM 2.0

Does this mean that the TV should be capeable of do it ng 5.1 since Netflix is? 

I'm a bit of a newbie to all this stuff and just want to make sure getting the best sound experience possible, I know been issues with eArc update on this TV but since mine can input on Netflix I assume it's fine?

Edit: 

After checking I take it I'm not getting Dolby Atmos as that's better than the Dolby Digital 5.1, I don't know if it helps at all but changed the sky settings to Dolby Digital Plus which says needs to be on and sound hasn't gone but seems to be just certain channels that can support atmos from what see on sky website? 

Il see if can download or watch something on sky which is Dolby Atmos enabled, I take it changes from Dolby Digital to something like Dolby Atmos 5.1.2  on Sonos app?