Samsung One Remote Sonos Playbar No Control

• 3 August 2017
  • 33 replies

I recently purchased the new Samsung "The Frame" 55 inch Lifestyle TV (UA55LS003AWXXY) I have TV connected through the coaxial, The Sonos Playbar connected optically and an AppleTv (4th gen) connected through HDMI. I have tried setting up the universal remote and it will not allow me to control sound on my PLAYBAR? I read through forums and tried the "BOSE" method of control and it worked perfectly for a day. I disconnected my Sonos to mount on the wall below my TV and now nothing works? Can still operate via the app. Apple TV can control PLAYBAR volume when in use. Just cant get the Samsung Remote to. Please any help?

33 replies

Hello kid76, welcome to the Community and thanks a lot for reaching out. Are you still unable to control the PLAYBAR from your remote? Since things worked before, it might be just a matter of unplugging and replugging the power to the PLAYBAR in order to reset the sensor. Regardless, we'd like to help.
Badge
I have a samsung 55" frame tv. It has a white remote. I believe it is the samsung one remote. I have tried everything and still cannot get it to run the volume of the TV. Please help.
I have the same issue...how do I control the sonos volume using the white Samsung one remote?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, Alaskawack & Dassieteeth:

If you are trying to associate your Samsung One remote with PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE, please check out this article. If after changing the Samsung One remote from broadcasting RF signals to IR signals, you are still unable to associate the remote, let us know where in the process you get hung up. I'd be happy to help out any way I can.
I've got a Samsung Q7F which also uses the One Remote. After experiencing much frustration with trying to get it to control my Playbar, I discovered the following solution:

Go to the "Source" menu and choose universal remote

Add a new device and choose home theatre system

Choose "Pioneer" from the list of brands then the optical connection

On the next screen, it will perform a power test. Run the power test, and then choose "no" when it asks if your home theatre system turned on or off. Every time you perform a power test and press no, it'll enable a different set of One Remote commands to control volume. Most of these seem to be using RF signals, but some of these configurations are IR, which is what you'll need to control the Playbar. I had to retry the power test and press no four times until it loaded the fifth Pioneer configuration, which used IR.

The easiest way to see whether the remote is firing IR volume commands is by opening the camera app on your phone, pointing the remote straight at the camera and pressing one of the volume buttons. If the remote is firing IR commands, you'll be able to see a purple light in the corner flash in addition to the red light on your phone screen.

Once your One Remote is firing IR commands, you can get the Playbar to learn the remote control commands in the "Room Settings" part of the Sonos app.
I also have a Sonos 55Q7 TV with a Sonos Playbar and Sky HD. The One remote controls the volume when I watch freeview or any of the smart services, but does not control the volume of the Playbar when I am watching Sky HD. Incidentally it does control the operation of the Sky HD box. I have tried going into the settings of the TV and assigned the playbar to work with Sky HD but this does not work. Does anyone have an idea?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, grifterxl. Thanks for reaching out. I am happy to help. Seems like there is a disconnect between how the audio commands are being relayed from the TV to the Sky HD. Does the Sky HD have a separate remote? How is the Sky HD connected to your TV?
I have samsung picture TV and playbar/playbase. Tried everything and cant get the remote to switch to a RF signal. Any suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, camel6601. If you are having troubles with getting your Samsung remote from RF to switch to IR (so it can function with your PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE) I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Can you tell us a little about the TV you are working with? What is the model number? Is this remote the one that comes with the TV or is it a separate universal remote? Thanks in advance.
Hi Keith, I have the Samsung UN65LS003AFXZA. It is a white remote that came with the TV. See attached image. Tried everything recommended in this forum. I was able to setup the apple TV remote and adjust the volume.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for the details. Did you go through the steps outlined in this article? If so, where in the process does the remote get caught up on?
I am somewhat frustrated here. I have talked with four different people from SONOS trying to get Samsung One Remote to work with my Playbar. I had it working, but had to replace my router. Since then, the best I can get is for it to partially work (TV must be on for me to adjust volume with remote when listening to Pandora).

I may just take this back and get something else if I can't get it to work. So far, all I am getting told is to contact Samsung. For what I paid for the Playbar and Sub I shouldn't be having these issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, mschmelzer. Thanks for posting and reaching out to the Community. I was able to pull up the ticket regarding your PLAYBAR and the remote control only working when the TV is on. Then, I followed up with the technicians you have worked with along with one of our most seniro techs to make sure all of our "ducks are in a row". While working with the team, I determined I would need to get a little more information about the remote's current behavior while the TV is off.

While the TV is off, the remote will only work to lower the volume. This is by design, to ensure that the PLAYBAR doesn't get turned up by accident. You will not be able to turn up the volume or mute.

Is this similar to what you are experiencing?
Hello Keith, Initially, the Playbar worked correctly with the Samsung One Remote. When I had to replace my router from my internet provider, everything stopped working. I am not sure about only being able to turn the volume down when the TV is turned off. When it was working, it turned the volume up and down.

I have been able to get the One Remote to work when the TV is on. When the TV is on, the One Remote turns the volume up and down. When I turn the TV off, the One Remote totally STOPS working. It doesn't work to turn the volume up or down. It just stops working. So, if I am trying to listen to Pandora from my cell phone or iPad, I have to use the device to regulate the volume because the One Remote stops working when the TV is off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. So when the TV is off, it seems the remote stops broadcasting IR (infrared) signals to the PLAYBAR. A quick way to test this would be to use the camera on your cell phone and take a photo of the top (or wherever the signal is transmitted from the remote) while the TV is off and while you are pressing a volume button on the remote. You should be able to see in the taken photo, lights coming from the remote. These are IR signals that your PLAYBAR should be seeing and then acting upon.

Let me know if you are able to see these IR signals from your Samsung ONE remote. Thanks!
It is blinking a red light when I press the volume up button.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
It is blinking a red light when I press the volume up button. Are you sure you are looking at the end of the remote where the IR signal would be broadcast? Here's a photo of what you should be seeing and what the test I described looks like.

Yes, It is blinking a red light when I press the volume up button.
Any updates or more suggestions, Keith?
I had major issues getting rf signals but it appeared that they where sent out but both my one connect box AND Sonos Playbars rf receiver window had to be visable from the remote.I had the connect box hidden in a shelf behind closed doors, then it didnt work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
mschmelzer & PataE: If you are still having problems with getting the Samsung One remote to properly associate with your PLAYBAR, please give us a call. We can troubleshoot and walk through the process in real time. Thanks for your patience.
I had major issues getting rf signals but it appeared that they where sent out but both my one connect box AND Sonos Playbars rf receiver window had to be visable from the remote.I had the connect box hidden in a shelf behind closed doors, then it didnt work.

THANKS !! :D

Finally I got why the remote would not work with the sonos system sometimes. Its when the shelf is closed where my samsung connect box is that im experiencing problems to control my sonos system.

Seriously Sonos staff, add this to your "Configure Sonos PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE with Samsung One Remote" guide until you have a fix.

Also, I'm interested in knowing why this is happening? I can control my TV perfectly fine with my shelfdoor closed (where the samsung connect box is), but I CANNOT control sonos soundlevels. Should not the Playbar get the IR signals that are emitted from the remote?
It's only when I open the shelfdoor (where the samsung connect box is) that the sonos playbar registers the IR signals from the one remote. Please have a look at why its doing this. 😠 Shouldnt have to be like this. I have a QE55Q7F.
I had major issues getting rf signals but it appeared that they where sent out but both my one.......

I ment IR Signal, not rf sorry!
Glad this tips helps others!
I've got a Samsung Q7F which also uses the One Remote. After experiencing much frustration with trying to get it to control my Playbar, I discovered the following solution:

Go to the "Source" menu and choose universal remote

Add a new device and choose home theatre system

Choose "Pioneer" from the list of brands then the optical connection

On the next screen, it will perform a power test. Run the power test, and then choose "no" when it asks if your home theatre system turned on or off. Every time you perform a power test and press no, it'll enable a different set of One Remote commands to control volume. Most of these seem to be using RF signals, but some of these configurations are IR, which is what you'll need to control the Playbar. I had to retry the power test and press no four times until it loaded the fifth Pioneer configuration, which used IR.

The easiest way to see whether the remote is firing IR volume commands is by opening the camera app on your phone, pointing the remote straight at the camera and pressing one of the volume buttons. If the remote is firing IR commands, you'll be able to see a purple light in the corner flash in addition to the red light on your phone screen.

Once your One Remote is firing IR commands, you can get the Playbar to learn the remote control commands in the "Room Settings" part of the Sonos app.

Weird. I have the QE55Q7F.
I toggled through all 6 Pioneer configs and none of them makes the control shoot an IR signal.
Instead I tried to look at the connect box with my camera, and guess what... It fires IR signal at 3 places when you press volume up/down. But the actual control does not. :@

Does that mean you're forced to have the ugly connect box on display? Or do you @lostinthecity have a model without the external connect box? Or do you have it "in open air", aka not in a closed shelf?

EDIT: SOLVED finally.

Extremely unintuitive. But I did as lostincity wrote above, but I could not see if the remote fired any IR signals during the "power test". I had to complete the wizard for every input to be able to see that the control fired IR signals.

Hopefully it can help someone else until Sonos gets in touch with Samsung to fix their presets found in their TV's. It really surprises me that the actual SONOS preset in the samsung wizard doesnt do this.

So if you have the new 2017 aluminium one remote, do this:

1. Go to "source". Choose to add universal remote.

2. Choose Home Theater. Choose Pioneer. Choose it for Optical. Press "No" on the power test 4 times, press yes on the fifth test.

3. Choose Home Theater. Choose Pioneer. Choose it for HDMI(whatever other source you have to your TV). Press "No" on the power test 4 times, press yes on the fifth test.

4. Now after adding this Pioneer preset to ALL sources you use, the remote will finally send IR signals.

5. Since this is Pioneer IR signals you have to remap the IR commands in the Sonos app, under settings.
Finally solved. See solution above.

Sonos: Get to fix your own presets found in Samsung TV's to work with their 2017 smart remotes properly. Shouldnt have to fuzz around with Pioneer presets.