Samsung KS8000 no 5.1 w/ Playbar

Dolby 5.1 is not an option now for any of my devices except when using the Netflix app on my TV. I read somewhere that is because the inputs are HDMI (PS4, DirecTV, Roku) and it won't convert to Dolby 5.1 through the digital optical out. Anyone have any suggestions? It is quite frustrating to buy this system and it doesn't work like I had hoped. Thanks guys!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have the same KS8000 TV (a BEAUTIFUL set, BTW). There are some Expert sound settings you may need to adjust.

On your TV remote, press Home, go to Settings (the gear icon) and press select. The Settings box appears.
Go to Sound. press right, then select Expert Settings.
Set HDMI Audio Format to Bitstream.
Set Audio Format to Dolby Digital.

Those settings will make the TV pass through any Dolby Digital audio without doing anything to it. Anything that isn't Dolby Digital will be converted to PCM. Just a note that I've heard you may not be able to select Dolby Digital in that audio format setting unless a DD source is playing. I don't remember having that issue myself though... but I might've been watching a TV show that had DD audio when I adjusted the setting.

The next thing to make sure of is that your HDMI devices are outputting a Dolby Digital audio signal. Your DirecTV box shouldn't be an issue here... most TV channels use AC3/Dolby Digital audio. Roku shouldn't either... most streaming services prefer Dolby because it uses a much lower bitrate than other surround audio codecs. I know that Roku does have a setting though, so you might want to look in the audio settings there just to be sure.

The PS4 might be a challenge though... most games likely use Dolby Digital... but for Blu-Ray movies that use DTS, you'll want to make sure the PS4 converts that audio to Dolby Digital. I know on my Xbox One, it's actually a two-part setting (not unlike the TV's setting of Bitstream and Dolby Digital)... so you may need to take a look through the audio settings on the PS4.
Thanks for the reply! So you have the same setup, all the HDMI going to the Samsung One Connect and then Digital Optical to the Sonos PlayBar? If so, when you go into the Sonos App and go to About My Sonos System, does it show Dolby 5.1 next to Audio In?

What devices do you have connected? I did just figure something out with the PS4. I had to click Options while the Blu Ray was playing and then go to Audio and select Bitstream from there. That fixed the PS4 audio issue. I'll check Roku and DirecTV after this is over.
System: Sonos Playbar (with sub and surround play 1s) + XBox One + Samsung 8000 Series 65" + Apple TV

HDMI setup
Apple TV > XBox > Samsung One Connect

Optical setup
Sonos playbar > Samsung One Connect

CBF SIGNAL-OCM
Samsung One Connect > TV

TV Settings:
Sound > Select Speaker > Audio out/Optical
Sound > Expert Settings > HDMI Audio Format > Bitstream

XBox Settings:
Display & Sound > Audio output > HDMI Audio > Bitstream out
Display & Sound > Audio output > Bitstream format > Dolby Digital

With that am able to obtain Dolby Digital 5.1 with anything (Netflix, blu ray player) going from the Xbox to the tv (via the Samsung One Connect). And of course also DD5.1 from the apps in the tv like Netflix and YouTube.

Also for controlling playbar with Samsung remote, go to tv and just add a new Hometheater device in the universal control menu. Type sonos as brand and say 'yes' when it ask you if it turned the hometheatr device off. Then go back again to universal control menu and associate the sonos to your XBox Input, it will most likely name it 'Xbox + Sonos' and that should do it. You should be able to control your Sonos volume using the Samsung remote.

Hope this help, took me a good hour to figure it all out. Will update if I find any difficulties. 🆒
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
when you go into the Sonos App and go to About My Sonos System, does it show Dolby 5.1 next to Audio In?
What devices do you have connected?

Yes, it does show Dolby 5.1. OTA TV shows (not all have surround sound, but those that do show up with it), built-in smart apps (Netflix and Amazon; Youtube doesn't usually have surround sound), my Xbox One and a Samsung 4K Blu-Ray player.
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Everything I was reading said I needed to purchase an HDMI splitter that goes to Digital Optical. So glad i decided to post here.

I called Samsung support and their answer was "you cannot get 5.1 surround sound from a digital optical cable." Clearly they don't train their support people very well...
Userlevel 1
Badge
After the latest firmware update with my Sonos 5.1 system, I no longer get 5.1 sound and actually no sound at all w/ HDMI set to Bitstream and Audio set to Dolby Digital. I have to have both set to PCM which now only plays in Stereo. Is this the same for anyone else?
After the latest firmware update with my Sonos 5.1 system, I no longer get 5.1 sound and actually no sound at all w/ HDMI set to Bitstream and Audio set to Dolby Digital. I have to have both set to PCM which now only plays in Stereo. Is this the same for anyone else?

I have the same problem!
If you'd like to be part of the solution to the issue, I'd highly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. I'd also include in your post here what kind of TV you have, and the source that you're having an issue, be it cable box (what kind), DVD/Blueray player, or Game Console. It wouldn't hurt to be specific about what channel and what show, if that is convenient. It might help them figure out this issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index3.html

Come join the "fun" here if your SONOS system stopped working after the latest update.....
This happened to me too! Most notably, with DD on, no audio from Samsung smart apps, but audio works just fine via a connected Apple TV. Had to change to PCM for the time being.
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926/index3.html

Come join the "fun" here if your SONOS system stopped working after the latest update.....

Thanks! Received the update quickly and all is well. Appreciate the heads up!
I have the same TV and my info under the "about my sonos system" states that I'm only running a 2.0..i have 2 play ones and the Playbar. I have everthing set to DD on my tv as well as my fire tv and xbox one. I don't understand why it's not reading 5.0..can someone plz help me?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I have the same TV and my info under the "about my sonos system" states that I'm only running a 2.0..i have 2 play ones and the Playbar. I have everthing set to DD on my tv as well as my fire tv and xbox one. I don't understand why it's not reading 5.0..can someone plz help me?

If audio TV is stereo then Sonos currently will play playbar only.
Surround sound will be silent.