Question

Samsung HDMI-ARC issues with beam

• 4 December 2019
  • 18 replies

Hello

My TV is a Samsung UN55JU6500 and I am having issues connecting to the Beam.

When I unplug and replug everything, the beam works but if I re-open the tv 5 hours later, the connectivity loses and I have to unplug and replug everything to make it work.

I tried changing the HDMI cable without success. 

I read on this forum and this seems to be a known issue - did anyone find a solution?

I was using the Bose ecosystem and decided to switch to Sonos for the easier interface but it seems that the hardware part is not that easy....

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Try checking for a software update for your TV from Samsung. Apply it if there is one, or many.

Unplug the TV from the wall for 3 minutes, then plug it back in.

Test. If it’s continuing, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Hello

My TV is a Samsung UN55JU6500 and I am having issues connecting to the Beam.

When I unplug and replug everything, the beam works but if I re-open the tv 5 hours later, the connectivity loses and I have to unplug and replug everything to make it work.

I tried changing the HDMI cable without success. 

I read on this forum and this seems to be a known issue - did anyone find a solution?

I was using the Bose ecosystem and decided to switch to Sonos for the easier interface but it seems that the hardware part is not that easy....

If you google “Samsung auto-detect HDMI” you will see that some TV models switch HDMI ports automatically and in some cases the feature cannot be deactivated, but in some later models, it can, within the TV Settings. So I would try to  see what it says for your model.

Also, I understand that it’s helpful to turn off HDMI-CEC on any other peripherals you may have connected to the TV HDMI ports. If you have a product in which you cannot disable HDMI-CEC (some cable boxes don’t allow this for example), then you can install an HDMI CEC-Less adapter, or cable, between the device and the TV.

Thanks for the answer guys.

My TV firmware is up to date.

Ive tried playing with the Anynet+ by disabling it, sound would come off from the TV and the Beam. And with it off, I am unable to control the sound beam sound with my TV remote.

As for unplugging then replugging the TV, thats how I make it work when it disconnect. Once I follow these steps, it would work again until I turn off both system and re open a couple of hours later, that is when it stop working.

The only option that I didnt try is using a CEC-less cable and the optical output (but why would I use optical when I can use HDMI which provides better quality- correct me if I am wrong there).

As for the CEC-less adapter, I find it annoying that I bought an expensive product and need to buy an extra adapter because it is not working as advertised

I will try calling Sonos if the problem continues tomorrow (I just unplugged everything to make it work now)

thanks for the comments!

The signal being carried by the optical cable is exactly the same signal that is being carried across HDMI, they’re both Dolby Digital. The difference between the two is that optical is a one way signal, and can’t send HDMI-CEC commands “upstream” to the TV. 

Sonos didn’t design the HDMI-CEC specification, they just implemented the part that applies to their speaker’s use. It would be a mistake to hold Sonos accountable for poor implementation by either the TV set, or the other devices that you’ve connected to the HDMI-CEC hub, the TV. 

This is why I’ve recommended avoiding HDMI-CEC, since obviously one of your devices hasn’t properly implemented the specifications laid out by the governing body. If it had improperly implemented by Sonos for the Beam, this forum would be flooded by complaints. 

But if you want to continue to use the HDMI-ARC connection, try removing each of the other two devices, one at a time, and do some testing while one or the other is connected. It’s relatively unlikely that both have a poor implementation of HDMI-CEC, you just need to figure out which it is. 

Honestly, I’d be checking both of those devices for firmware/software updates as well, if you have that option, it’s possible that the manufacturer has already fixed the issue in an un-applied update, but if not, a $10 to $20 investment to fix the issue doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, but you’re certainly entitled to a different opinion. But I’d certainly agree with your annoyance that one of the devices ha a bad implementation of HDMI-CEC. That’s poor programming by some manufacturer, and you’re ending up paying the price for their failure. 

Good luck!

Thanks for the Answer!

Both firmware/software of both system are up to date. For the comparison between HDMI vs Optical, I wasn’t sure of the exact difference - I just read some article online and it seems that HDMI provided better quality.

I agree with you that 10$ to 20$ could fix the issue but it is more a question of principle. I switched from an entire Bose Soundtouch ecosystem to Sonos thinking that things would be easier (Bose app was not the best...) and it just frustrating that thing are not functioning as it should be. 

I will verify if the Beam is still connected to my TV tonight and hopefully, it is!

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply!

So just tested and still doesn’t work!

I read many thread relating this topic and it seems that could revolve around the TV Box and a CEC Less adapter could possibly solve the issue.

I am from Canada and the only CEC-Less adapter available has a min 20 days shipping… I have no choice but to purchase that...

Surely Amazon in Canada has such a device. Or check your local electronics store. These are semi-common things, it shouldn’t take that long to acquire one.

I see what you mean. I’d check my local A/V store, and see what they have. 

WillyWonka,

If you unplugged all your TV devices except for the Beam and it still didn’t work for you, then I don’t understand why you are purchasing a CEC-less adapter, or did you leave your cable box connected when testing?

I’m in a similar position, my cable TV box does not allow me to switch off it’s HDMI-CEC controls either.

Hey Ken,

When I unplug everything (Sonos, TV power) and then re-plug eveything, the connection between the TV and Sonos actually works, the sound comes out from the TV and I am able to control it using my TV remote control. However, when I turn off the TV, and re-open it (let’s say 2-3 hours later), the connection is lost. To make everything work again, I need to unplug and re-plug everything.

Last night, I actually tried to unplug the Cable Box and I left only the Sonos and when I re-opened the TV this morning - it didn’t work. 

The other HDMI plugged in is the Nintendo Switch and Chromecast - not sure if those would affect the connection.

WillyWonka,

I would perhaps try unplugging everything connected to the TV’s HDMI ports, except for the Beam and just play TV audio from the internal Tuner and built-in Apps only and see if it still continues to fail using the same process. Just ensure the Input is set to TV when you switch in on afterwards.

If that works, then add your devices back to the TV one at a time and go through the process again until you (hopefully) find which device is causing you the issue and attach the cec-less adapter to that device.

Any knowledge of Sonos agreeing that re booting every time after switch off means Beam is not fit for purpose….and offer a refund.

Sound on my week old expensive purchase is great but not worth the constant unplugging et al. 

Malcolm,

While it’s certainly a slight possibility that you have a defective unit, in the great majority of cases, there are other reasons for dropouts, and you should never need to unplug your units. I’ve not unplugged any of mine (I think I currently have 18, but I may be off one or two) since I moved to Texas, about a year and a half ago.

I would certainly recommend that you contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They’d be able to help you diagnose the issue you’re experiencing, and help you fix it.  

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Thanks for the reply. I have been a Bose buyer by habit and was tempted to Sonos by the Beam. I have an ongoing email and have chatted to support too. 

My point is that nowhere in the Sonos Beam promotion does it even hint that the variables outside the Beam may mean the item is a dud.

I read that the Beam was the first item of a new CEO. If so - boy did they get his first product wrong. Was going to expand to some rear speakers too - never in a million years.

Thanks for the reply. I have been a Bose buyer by habit and was tempted to Sonos by the Beam. I have an ongoing email and have chatted to support too. 

My point is that nowhere in the Sonos Beam promotion does it even hint that the variables outside the Beam may mean the item is a dud.

I read that the Beam was the first item of a new CEO. If so - boy did they get his first product wrong. Was going to expand to some rear speakers too - never in a million years.

As you don’t have rear surrounds simply switch your TV and any connected peripheral to output PCM stereo audio and that should solve your issue.

Thanks Ken - but support asked me to do check that. I did and absolutely no change.

Hey all, I solved my issues (I think). It seems that the issue is that Chromecast and Beam interferes with each other. Last night, following Ken_Griffiths recommendation, I unplugged the Chromecast and this morning, the Beam is working upon turning the on the tv (Cable Box and Nintendo Switch were still plugged in the hdmi l).

Did some search on Chromecast, Samsung TV and Beam in the support forum and turns out that other users experienced the same issues. A CEC-Less adapter seems to be the problem solver.

@malcolm robinson - do you have a Chromecast plugged in your TV? I was a Bose user too hut was really disappointed when they discontinued the soundtouch line and restartt a new one to works with the voice assistant technology - that was the trigger for me to sell everything and go with Sonos

Thanks Ken - but support asked me to do check that. I did and absolutely no change.

Perhaps post a description of your HT setup and provide a screenshot of your audio output settings (TV and it’s connected devices) and see if you, me and others here can perhaps resolve it if you want to detail the issue you are encountering.